Max Abmas

ORUTerry

D47pg2XWsAAWV4Y.jpg

Edited by ORU GRAD
Terry, You were right on this recruit all along!

Hopefully Max is the PG Golden Eagle fans have been waiting for. He certainly was impressive over the course of his high school career.

Ironically....maybe another Cat Johnson???. 😎

• Like 1

Max Preps has Max(a lot of Max's) ranked 65 nationally and 5 in the state of the Texas.  If that is true then that would be the first top 65 player ORU has ever had coming out of high school!  He did average 18 points and 4 assists for a solid team in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.  Time will tell and hopefully he stays injury free.

• Upvote 1

I think Abmas could be a special player. He is a point guard that can score if needed. Seems to be a basketball player (not just an athlete, but a player that has a basketball mentality)... and we can use that. 

Mark Acres was arguably the highest ranked recruit we have ever had. Top 10 or 20?

• Like 1

Kudos to the coaching staff for reeling Max in, even when most of us on this board had given up hope.  I'm pretty excited about this commit, as he seems to fill a big need that has been glaring within our program for the past few years.  While it is still very early, I must say that I am quite impressed with the talent that this staff has brought in.  Obanor and Weaver are both big wins, and Max could rise to the same quality level (on paper, at least).  The trend is definitely moving in the right direction.

19 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Max Preps has Max(a lot of Max's) ranked 65 nationally and 5 in the state of the Texas.  If that is true then that would be the first top 65 player ORU has ever had coming out of high school! .

This ^^^^ is laughable. 

ORU has signed at least two high school players that were in the TOP TEN nationally:

• According to Wikipedia:  "Born in Nashville, Tennessee, David Vaughn, Jr. starred at Nashville's Cameron High School, who won state championships in 1970 and 1971. Rated the second-best basketball prospect in the country, Vaughn committed to Memphis State University in 1971, but then decided to play for Oral Roberts University after meeting with Oral Roberts himself."
  • Mark Acres was a Parade All-American in 1981 (which was THE top prep All-America designation at the time) coming out of high school in Palos Verdes (CA)  He was also named to the 1981 McDonald's All-America team, and played in the McDonald's All-Star Classic for the West squad vs. Michael Jordan and Patrick Ewing from the East.  He literally could have signed anywhere he wanted.  He came to ORU because Ken Hayes had already signed his older brother Jeff and had him starting as a freshman, and then brought their father Dick Acres along with Mark as an assistant on the ORU staff.

Here's hoping that the young man is simply better than any other guard on the ORU roster, making it impossible to not start him, and he stays healthy all season.

I thought so O T nice behind the scenes info i think coach k says something in his book about recruiting acres

33 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

65 ranked PG or overall player? Nice pickup for coach Mills.

I think those are position rankings.

Sure, it's always preferable to sign guys who are considered good by ranking services... but outside of the top 50 overall players it's just guess work.

The jump from high school to D1 weeds out a lot of guys that were ranked highly and players like Obanor who were overlooked shine.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread so we can see some of the thoughts on Abmas when he committed. Little did we know or think. We were just hoping he could prove to be a decent point guard who could score. 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Bumping this thread so we can see some of the thoughts on Abmas when he committed. Little did we know or think. We were just hoping he could prove to be a decent point guard who could score. 

Well we have are ans🏀😀 hope he stays