2019 -2020 Roster

ORUalum

Would you bother wishing happy birthday to a guy who no longer figures into your plans?

I'm guessing there's a technical or rules explanation for his omission from the poster.

Either that, or he simply turned to dust as a result of the Thanos "snapture".  #EndGame 😉

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Would you bother wishing happy birthday to a guy who no longer figures into your plans?

I'm guessing there's a technical or rules explanation for his omission from the poster.

Either that, or he simply turned to dust as a result of the Thanos "snapture".  #EndGame 😉

Someone on the staff must have been reading the board and wanted to clarify D'Mauria Jones is on the team. I actually am glad because I believe he can help. I guess that means that we have 13 players and I do not know if anyone is a walk-on to allow us to go after a big. I do feel we need a replacement for Smith or for depth.  I would even like to see if we can bring in Dimitrios Karaiskos from Greece. I understand he was on a visit yesterday but do not know if he showed up. image.jpeg.74e481e9ba11a4d85ec9f58c0c948337.jpeg

UMKC???.....I guess Clemson didn't work out, huh???....👎🙄😜

Geez, guess the grass wasn’t greener on the other side.

At least he’s getting good educations.

A curious couple of tweets, considering ORU has more players on the roster right now from Europe than from Arkansas.  Perhaps we'll see the results in future recruiting classes?

The state that I really regret ORU is apparently no longer recruiting is Missouri.  Have had some great players come out of there in the past; Tom Hankins had a nice pipeline to the Kansas City area for a while.

We need to continue to sign guys from Texas: Albert Owens, E-man, K.O., Sam Kearns, and D.J. Weaver  Those are ORU's best players in the past few years.  Arkansas cannot compete with the talent that is in Texas.  Dallas and Houston area should be the hot spots for ORU

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

We need to continue to sign guys from Texas: Albert Owens, E-man, K.O., Sam Kearns, and D.J. Weaver  Those are ORU's best players in the past few years.  Arkansas cannot compete with the talent that is in Texas.  Dallas and Houston area should be the hot spots for ORU

Speaking of Albert Owens he graduated on Saturday with his Masters (Education). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, #1ORUFAN said:

Speaking of Albert Owens he graduated on Saturday with his Masters (Education). 

Always good to see ORU players succeeding off the court. Did Albert play for Chad Wilkerson in high school? I saw him congratulating Albert the other day on Twitter.

Yes. Chad was his coach during Albert’s junior campaign at Trinity Christian School Cedar Hill. 

• 2 months later...

So, what is the summertime status of the ORU roster? 

Is it still one man over the allowed scholarship limit of 13, as this list seems to indicate?

1. Lazenby (SR)
  2. Nzekwesi (SR)
  3. Kearns (SR)
  4. Saunders (SR)
  5. Jones (SR)
  6. Burns (SR)
  7. Fuqua (SO)
  8. Obanor (SO)
  9. Jurgens (SO)
  10. Weaver (SO)
  11. Lacis (SO)
  12. Milton (FR)
  13.  Abmas (FR)
  14.  Lufile (SO)?

This tweet from ORU assistant Sam Patterson does little to clear up the question, mentioning four international players on ORU's roster:  presumably E-Man (The Netherlands), Lacis (Latvia),  Jurgens (Estonia), and the suspected juco transfer Lufile (Canada).

If Carlos is in fact returning, then wonder who's out?

Lastly, what to make of a roster with SIX seniors, no juniors, several sophomores as potential starters (Obanor is a lock, Weaver not far behind, with Lacis, Jurgens and Fuqua all logging starter's minutes in several games as freshmen), and a highly-regarded freshman guard in Abmas who may (or may not) have been given assurances of being a starter right out of the gate?

Locker room harmony may be a challenge this season, to say the least...

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure we have seen everyone on that list from ORUMBB social media this summer with the exception of Lazenby and Jurgens

11 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Pretty sure we have seen everyone on that list from ORUMBB social media this summer with the exception of Lazenby and Jurgens

I wonder if Lazenby might not be on athletic scholarship?  Kind of a "preferred walk-on" situation?

Maybe some sort of stripped-down graduate course curriculum, and living off-campus?  He likely has many local connections, with his hometown of Glencoe just an hour west of Tulsa; it wouldn't be much of a stretch. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

...Lastly, what to make of a roster with SIX seniors, no juniors, several sophomores as potential starters (Obanor is a lock, Weaver not far behind, with Lacis, Jurgens and Fuqua all logging starter's minutes in several games as freshmen), and a highly-regarded freshman guard in Abmas who may (or may not) have been given assurances of being a starter right out of the gate?

Locker room harmony may be a challenge this season, to say the least...

I like the fact that Coach Patterson is at the U18’s when ORU has such a big 2020 signing class coming up.

The Lazenby as walkon theory makes sense to me.

thinking think GIF

Dr. Cornelius said,

"I like the fact that Coach Patterson is at the U18’s when ORU has such a big 2020 signing class coming up.

The Lazenby as walkon theory makes sense to me."

I can understand the Euro's not being here during the summer but Lazenby should have showed up being from Oklahoma. ???? We now have six sophomores to go with the five Seniors. Jones in my opinion is a Junior with two years of eligibility left. The two freshman will make for a great competition. I would like to see two five units substitution that I saw in the good ole days. (Not ORU) We are very deep this year with lots of talent. However, we should be at least 11 deep playing minutes. I hope Elijah will be a big plus for us in the front court. He really is an X factor. Time will tell eh OT? "A lot of stuff stands out in those clips; for what it's worth I'm inclined to withhold a grade until this whole thing plays out."

3 hours ago, ORU GRAD said:

Dr. Cornelius said,

"I like the fact that Coach Patterson is at the U18’s when ORU has such a big 2020 signing class coming up.

The Lazenby as walkon theory makes sense to me."

I can understand the Euro's not being here during the summer but Lazenby should have showed up being from Oklahoma. ???? We now have six sophomores to go with the five Seniors. Jones in my opinion is a Junior with two years of eligibility left. The two freshman will make for a great competition. I would like to see two five units substitution that I saw in the good ole days. (Not ORU) We are very deep this year with lots of talent. However, we should be at least 11 deep playing minutes. I hope Elijah will be a big plus for us in the front court. He really is an X factor. Time will tell eh OT? "A lot of stuff stands out in those clips; for what it's worth I'm inclined to withhold a grade until this whole thing plays out."

I forgot that, though listed as a junior on the 2018-19 roster after two years in junior college, Jones did not actually log any minutes last season.

So, I bet you're right:  he would now be a redshirt junior (fourth year of college; third year of eligibility).

And, for the record, I HATE the platoon system of five-men-off, five-men-on.

It reminds me of the old adage:  "If you're alternating two starting quarterbacks, then you don't have ANY starting quarterback".

Similarly, if your rotation consists of two sets of five players, then you don't have ANY rotation.

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I forgot that, though listed as a junior on the 2018-19 roster after two years in junior college, Jones did not actually log any minutes last season.

So, I bet you're right:  he would now be a redshirt junior (fourth year of college; third year of eligibility).

And, for the record, I HATE the platoon system of five-men-off, five-men-on.

It reminds me of the old adage:  "If you're alternating two starting quarterbacks, then you don't have ANY starting quarterback".

Similarly, if your rotation consists of two sets of five players, then you don't have ANY rotation.

Yes, understand, However North Dakota State utilized it some last season and didn't hurt their squad. My theory is it keeps the chemistry of the first five together and allows for 3-4 minutes of a breather with a second five unit that has chemistry also playing with each other. It was always fun to watch the 2nd unit come in fresh and continue to wear the opponent down. Yet, I understand why you don't like it. It was designed to keep the 1st unit together. The time when I saw it work best is when a team in division II was playing the Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, and Ohio State schedule  or what we call the power five to keep fresh pressure defense on. Oh, I forgot, we don't play defense anymore. Sorry.Image result for emoji sad looks

I know that Frank Haith at TU is a big proponent of the platoon method; most of their fans hate it.