ORU at BYU

theeagleman5

Well....another day and another beat down....this time we travel to Provo, Utah just 48 hours after that brutal loss to California Baptist......this won't be pretty.....BYU is 2-1 with their only loss to #7 Nevada.......Cougars are a 17.5 point favorite and the O/U is 147.5.......TheEagleman thinks BYU will surely cover but not sure about that O/U.... will probably tease BYU and the over but still mulling it over......final BYU 86  ORU 65........by the way....Javan White started for Clemson last night and tallied 4 points in 13 minutes.....we are missing that guy.....😥

I wish I could disagree with the Eagleman but reality tells me this could be a 20+ point loss. I really liked what I saw from Obanor the other night. He is the kind of talent ORU needs to be competitive with good teams. Hopefully the good guys will stay focused on improving each game and working hard to do the little things right like avoid careless turnovers and make free throws! Even an average team looks much better when they avoid mistakes!

This one will be tough. BYU is always solid and usually very large across the board. Most of them are also the age of most fifth year seniors because of their two year mission for the LDS. Hopefully, the team comes out to battle and is ready for what will probably be a grind em out game!

Much better ORU teams have traveled to Provo to face weaker BYU teams than this year's Cougars, and STILL got their hats handed to them.

Pick a score - won't be pretty...

ORU avoids another disastrous start by inserting Malone and sliding Kearns over to the 2 in place of Jurgens.

Not sure why you put Lacis, Jurgens, and Weaver all on the court together....immediate mini run by BYU and smart timeout my Mills.

Like what I'm watching from Obanor so far.

If ORU had any kind of depth, it would have been nice to red-shirt Lacis, Jurgens, and Weaver --- they just do not look ready to play at this level.

Late run in the half as Mills had to go to his bench w/ Smith and Eman picking up their 2nd fouls.

Coach has played 11 different guys in the 1st half.  Good guys down 43-31.  Agree about redshirting Lacis, Jurgens and Weaver.  At least the boys are playing better tonight.  Too bad for the late run by BYU.  We went for about a 4 minute stretch late in the 1st without making a FG.  That hurt.  We are still in this though.  Go Golden Eagles!

12 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Put Smith and Big E back in, even if they foul out.  Otherwise this will be a major blowout.

I wondered if Mills was trying to send a message to EMan.....he got a really early 2nd half yank.

Interesting that the announcers said at the beginning of the broadcast that Mills had abandoned his 1-3-1 zone for man-to-man this season because he does not have the athletes to play it.  I wonder if it is completely scrapped or if he will try to bring it back as the team gets some experience.  That's quite an admission by Mills and staff of what a disaster that defense was the second time thru the league last year after the league had seen it once and had plenty of tape to scout it.

Actually closer than I figured.  Thank God BYU did not shoot well from 3 tonight.  After the first 12 minutes where ORU kept it interesting, BYU knew they could sleep walk through the rest of the game after the run at the end of the first half.

poor outside shooting, turnovers, and another abysmal performance at the charity stripe for ORU ---- seems to be a theme early this year

What was the over/under on different pronunciations of Nzekwesi?  I counted at least seven - one of them was correct! 😁

Saw a few signs of life from this team.  Malone can be solid.  Obanor has a high ceiling.  Eman had a tough battle with foul trouble, but can also take over a game.  Miller starting to show some of last year's talent after his early season injury.

Still, too many issues to name:  Turnovers, FT shooting, Euros can't get themselves an open shot - and can't knock it down when they do get open.  Saunders has never seen a shot he doesn't like - and a couple of times it appeared that his teammates intentionally did not pass to him, knowing that he would launch a shot (not good for team chemistry).  I think this team has a chance to improve, but would be surprised to be better than .500 in the Summit.

Can someone tell me why we consistently press the inbounds pass, and then immediately back off the ball-handler (rarely employing the trap)?  Have we actually gained a steal yet this year from this approach?  Seems like a lot of energy employed for very little reward.

16 minutes ago, ORUalum said:
  •  

Well....another day and another beat down....this time we travel to Provo, Utah just 48 hours after that brutal loss to California Baptist......this won't be pretty.....BYU is 2-1 with their only loss to #7 Nevada.......Cougars are a 17.5 point favorite and the O/U is 147.5.......TheEagleman thinks BYU will surely cover but not sure about that O/U.... will probably tease BYU and the over but still mulling it over......final BYU 86  ORU 65........by the way....Javan White started for Clemson last night and tallied 4 points in 13 minutes.....we are missing that guy.....😥

Check TheEagleman predication earlier today.....hummmm…...6-23 from  3 pt line and 9-18 FT shooting ensured another BIG payday for moi…..this is like taking candy from a baby.....Sounds like the boys played better tonight....I think we have a good shot to win vs. Ecclisia on Monday at Mabee…..😄

Excuse after excuse for not winning. Last year it was “those were not his guys”. Ok these are his guys and were 1-4 and a very strong chance of being 1-5 after Monday. 

FEBFBB37-2EC8-436C-A55B-DA211A378A6A.jpeg