Elam Ending

ORUTerry

First time I heard of this. It looks awesome! I’ll look to see it in action. 

Essentially at the 4:00 mark, the clock is turned off and the teams play to achieve a score (7 points over the highest score at that time). For instance, if the score of a game is 72 to 69 at the 4:00 remaining mark (or first clock stoppage) the winner of the game would be the team that scores 79 points first. 

The clock becomes a non-issue - so fouling to extend the game goes away. 

8 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

The clock becomes a non-issue - so fouling to extend the game goes away. 

Au contraire, my friend.

Say you're the coach of a team that's up by 12, against an opponent with poor foul shooters.

Once the target score is established with 4 minutes to go, why not intentionally foul your brick-laying opponent the rest of the way, to prevent them from getting back into the game by shooting threes while you score your quota of seven?

Or, let's say you're down 70-74 with 4:00 to go, but your team does have some outside shooters, and (once again) your opponent struggles from the line.  You need to outscore them 11-6 down the stretch to win by one.  So how about launching some threes and intentionally fouling their worst free throw shooters the rest of the way? 

I mean, I'm no Mensa like Dr. Elam, but think about it:  as long as there are poor free throw shooters on the floor down the stretch, there will ALWAYS be situations where you might see intentional fouling.  :nerd:

Not sure it’s ever a good idea to purposely give points to your opponent.... notwithstanding the scenarios you lay out. 

I don't think you can ever completely get rid of intentionally fouling BUT any move to limit it is good in my opinion.

“What Nick taught us is that deliberate fouling happens in 50 percent of games, but is only effective 1.5 percent of the time, so fans are having to put up with a strategy that sucks up time and rarely works."

Sports is entertainment and the final 3 minutes in most NBA games are completely unwatchable.

Try the last 3 minutes of an Oklahoma high school basketball game when one team has a lead larger than one possession.  It is brutal.  The OSSAA absolutely should institute a shot clock because 4 corners basketball or standing and dribbling while the clock runs and runs is even worse.