Key Match-up for Friday

Guest Rob Marshall

Our coaching staff & players are aware of every player, not just Darius. The film clip of his father helping him up off of the floor when he missed his free throws last year was touching, his Oakland moment. His dad made him watch the replay over & over that night & then took him out on the town.

We've had a year of our Oakland moment...........and people reminding our players & coaches every day for a year..........

NOW WE ARE GOING TO TAKE CARE OF UNFINISHED BUSINESS!!!!

Darius Washington (#35) 6'2/190 vs. Jonathon Bluitt

Washington is the real deal ... one of the best point guards in college basketball. Bluitt's ability to play well will determine ORU's fate on Friday.

Darius Washington Jr. is a great player, but he is not a great point guard. Maybe we can get into some half court traps because Washington is not a true point guard. He averages 3.3 assists per game but he also averages 3.16 turnovers per game. He has a 1.05 assists to turnover ratio. Hopefully we can take advantage of this and get some easy turnovers. He is a great playmaker and offensive weapon but hopefully we can get him to commit multiple turnovers. He may be one of the best players in college basketball but not a great point guard.

Bluitt's ability to play well will determine ORU's fate on Friday.

The last time I watched a basketball game it took at least 5 players on the floor at a time to win a game with a good bench to draw from. ORU has that. ORU's fate doesn't ride on one man, it rides on an entire team and it's coaches.

Guest Rob Marshall

The last time I watched a basketball game it took at least 5 players on the floor at a time to win a game with a good bench to draw from. ORU has that. ORU's fate doesn't ride on one man, it rides on an entire team and it's coaches.

Memphis will press full court then play man to man half-court defense; IF we can consistently beat their full-court pressure and take care of the ball, Green will get plenty of scoring opportunities, as will Owens and Tutt. I have heard from Coach Sutton over and over what a warrior and leader Bluitt is, well here is his stage and opportunity to stand up and prove that he is just that. If Bluitt plays poorly, ORU loses this game by 20+. If Bluitt plays well, ORU will have an opportunity to win the game.

Guest Rob Marshall

Darius Washington Jr. is a great player, but he is not a great point guard. Maybe we can get into some half court traps because Washington is not a true point guard. He averages 3.3 assists per game but he also averages 3.16 turnovers per game. He has a 1.05 assists to turnover ratio. Hopefully we can take advantage of this and get some easy turnovers. He is a great playmaker and offensive weapon but hopefully we can get him to commit multiple turnovers. He may be one of the best players in college basketball but not a great point guard.

I agree, his stat line is "sloppy" ... while Washington was a McDonald's All-American coming out of high school, we've got a bunch of guys who eat at McDonald's. Washington is one of the most revered "1" guards in college basketball regardless of his assist/turnover ratio because he is the straw that stirs the Tigers' drink, a quintessential backcourt play-maker who will control the game if Bluitt is not at his absolute best.

Guest Rob Marshall

and mom you're right, basketball is still a team sport and coaching factors in as well, however everyone who follows college basketball understands that March Madness is all about guard play ... "he who has the better guard play will win the game." We need Bluitt to be at his all-time best on Friday afternoon ... and Green, Owens, Tutt and the rest of the team to play well to, but without Bluitt at his best, turst me the rest won't matter. UNLESS, Coach Sutton decides to play Fowlkes more and Fowlkes plays lights out in Bluitt's place.

We need Bluitt to be at his all-time best on Friday afternoon ... and Green, Owens, Tutt and the rest of the team to play well to, but without Bluitt at his best, turst me the rest won't matter. UNLESS, Coach Sutton decides to play Fowlkes more and Fowlkes plays lights out in Bluitt's place.

ORU's new slogan:

IN GOD WE TURST

Sorry, just couldn't help myself :-)

Guest Rob Marshall

ORU's new slogan:

IN GOD WE TURST

Sorry, just couldn't help myself :-)

actually TD, I think that could involve a potential patent infringement lawsuit. thanks for playing along though. :wink:

Guest darrenjj

I agree with the assessment that Bluitt has to play like he did against Valpo. ORU is a very good team when he plays like that and it is critical against a team like Memphis with their athletes to control the tempo and not turn the ball over. You do not want to run up and down the court with them if you want to keep it close and have a chance.

and mom you're right, basketball is still a team sport and coaching factors in as well, however everyone who follows college basketball understands that March Madness is all about guard play ... "he who has the better guard play will win the game." We need Bluitt to be at his all-time best on Friday afternoon ... and Green, Owens, Tutt and the rest of the team to play well to, but without Bluitt at his best, turst me the rest won't matter. UNLESS, Coach Sutton decides to play Fowlkes more and Fowlkes plays lights out in Bluitt's place.

This is a great assessment, guard play usually makes the difference in the tourney. Especially against an athletic team like Memphis that has quick hands and likes to play the passing lanes. Bluitt has to hold his own when pressed. Over-dribbling and slow-developing plays in the frontcourt can hurt us. Hopefully, he'll answer the bell and play a great game.