Summit League Tournament

Old Titan

I know it's tempting to just not care at this point, but here's how the conference slate ended:

South Dakota Claims First Regular Season Crown & No. 1 Seed

North Dakota State got a sweet draw at No. 2:  they would not have to face a South Dakota school until the finals, with a blockbuster semi-final looming between No. 1 USD and up-and-coming No. 4 SDSU.

The potential 2nd round South Dakota vs SDSU game could be good.

I think the championship will end up chalk 1) South Dakota vs. 2) NDSU with NDSU winning.

Really surprised NDSU got blown out by IUPUI. Finished losing 5 of their last 9. Did they have any injuries?

Western took South Dakota to OT before eventually losing....despite the awful record, I believe that had ORU made the tournament they could of done the same thing!

30 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

Western took South Dakota to OT before eventually losing....despite the awful record, I believe that had ORU made the tournament they could of done the same thing!

lose a close game????......i completely agree.....i'd wager giving up a double digit lead would be mixed in there somewhere also

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

lose a close game????......i completely agree.....i'd wager giving up a double digit lead would be mixed in there somewhere also

Haha. We actually pulled this off last year and didn't even need overtime. Amateurs. 

• Upvote 1

Host SDSU vs. Omaha on ESPN2 in tonight's Summit Final....the #3 seed vs. the #4 seed....so much for NDSU #1 and South Dakota #2 going to the dance.....the Summit League is full of mediocrity this season....TheEagleman will probably tune in and watch some of the game tonight but I am not expecting a lot.....whoever wins will be one and done next week......:geek:

Pretty exciting game last night in Sioux Falls....79-77 SDSU over Omaha....congrats to the Jacks for their title victory and they head to the NCAA tournament with an 18-16 record and probably a 15 seed maybe 14 if the Summit League gets any respect....Omaha had two chances to tie or win the game in the final 10 seconds but a pair of poor shots that weren't even close spelled their doom....Daum was a total beast with something like 37 points....he's an NBA player and probably a late first round pick in 2018 or 2019.....the commentator even said he thought Daum might come out after his Junior year if he continues to dominate like he does....TheEagleman also thought the refs gave SDSU some home cooking late in the game with some foul calls and also non calls....thought the Omaha player was fouled when he hit a 3 pointer in the final minute to make it 79-77......but no call.....Omaha coach was not pleased....so good luck to SDSU...we will see who they draw on Sunday night....NDSU will head to the NIT.....:geek::geek:

Now, somebody tell me again how the location of the conference tournament doesn't matter...

SDSU or NDSU has won it 7 of the last 9 years, since it moved to South Dakota. The only other 2 years, it was won by a far superior Oakland team.

• Upvote 1

Very true, Voice....but as has been pointed out before, Sioux Falls sells out every year and the Summit Tournament generates tremendous interest up there....plus, SDSU, NDSU, SD and ND (joining soon) plus Omaha are all within spitting distance....it's a matter of economics and the tournament isn't going anywhere else soon.....it's surely a big advantage to the Dakota schools but especially the Jacks who are 20 miles up the road.....it stinks but that's life....heck, ORU didn't even make the tournament...and who knows....we might not be there in 2018, too...we can't cry about it.....we stink....:geek:

Not crying about it. Just an observation.

Heard a conversation on Mike & Mike the other day about smaller conferences playing tournaments on the home court of the regular season champion as a reward, as opposed to money benefit. And, this was a BIG discussion with Valpo fans, back in the day, when it moved to Tulsa.

It's a big advantage for sure. But even though the league has improved none of these teams are unbeatable even in Frostbite Falls. Just need better and tougher talent.

Summit Conference RPI  
2016-17 17*
2015-16 11
2014-15 21
2013-14 17
2012-13 19
2011-12 16
2010-11 21

Would LOVE to see the tournament played on the court of the regular season champion. The regular season could always use a little more purpose.

While I heartily admit SDSU has a built-in advantage every year with the tournament being held in Sioux Falls, I think it bears mentioning that this was only the 2nd time since Oakland's amazing run in 2005 that someone other than the No. 1 or No. 2 seed captured the tournament championship, regardless of where it was played:

Year (Place) - Champion (Seed)

2005 (Tulsa) - Oakland (7)

2006 (Tulsa) - ORU (1)

2007 (Tulsa) - ORU (1)

2008 (Tulsa) - ORU (1)

2009 (Sioux Falls) - NDSU (1)

2010 (Sioux Falls) - Oakland (1)

2011 (Sioux Falls) - Oakland (1)

2012 (Sioux Falls) - SDSU (2)

2013 (Sioux Falls) - SDSU (1)

2014 (Sioux Falls) - NDSU (1)

2015 (Sioux Falls) - NDSU (1)

2016 (Sioux Falls) - SDSU (1)

2017 (Sioux Falls) - SDSU (4)

Also during that period, only three No. 1 Seeds failed to make the finals:  ORU in 2012, Fort Wayne last year, and South Dakota this season.  So, it's not like a bunch of better teams were getting bounced early by weaker Dakota schools.  And, even as a #4, SDSU was hardly a fluke this year.  They easily had the most dominant player in the league and tournament in Mike Daum, and they got hot late in the season as a bunch of new players and a new coach hit their stride.

Bottom line:  the best team in the regular season typically wins the Summit League tournament - even in Sioux Falls, and arguably even this year.

And ultimately, isn't that the whole idea?

On 3/8/2017 at 9:36 AM, theeagleman5 said:

Very true, Voice....but as has been pointed out before, Sioux Falls sells out every year and the Summit Tournament generates tremendous interest up there....plus, SDSU, NDSU, SD and ND (joining soon) plus Omaha are all within spitting distance....it's a matter of economics and the tournament isn't going anywhere else soon.....it's surely a big advantage to the Dakota schools but especially the Jacks who are 20 miles up the road.....it stinks but that's life....heck, ORU didn't even make the tournament...and who knows....we might not be there in 2018, too...we can't cry about it.....we stink....:geek:

I think Brookings is about 58 miles and Vermillion is about 63 miles away from Sioux Falls.  Of course, you have about another 5 minutes to get through Sioux Falls if you come from the south.  They are both about 1 hour away when you drive there.  Omaha is about 3 hours away.  NDSU is about 4 hours away.  UND will be about 5 hours away.  If you wanted a center between Omaha and Grand Forks (UND), that would be about Brookings (I think).  That would make it about 4 hours for both Omaha and UND, 3 hours for NDSU and 2 hours for USD.  I don't want it in Brookings but I think Sioux Falls is about right.  Brookings doesn't have any place big enough to have it anyway.

If you had it at the site of the conference winner, what would the attendance be?  I think places like SDSU and USD only have arenas that only hold about 7,000 people.  That would make total number of fans drop significantly.  

On the womens side, Western Illinois played IUPUI for the championship this season.  It normally has either SDSU or USD or both they had the regular season champs every year until this one.  The teams that got 1st and 2nd made it to the championship game the last couple of years.

Old Titan has above that the #1 seed has won the tournament 10 of the last 13 years.  The #2 seed has one it once and so has the #4 and #7 seeds.  

Like I said...should conference tourneys be about a money grab or a reward for the #1 seed?

Arguments on both sides. Neither is right or wrong.

When the tourney came to Tulsa, we set all-time attendance/revenue records (at the time).

in it's current state, ORUMBB can't even make the tournament.  let's fix that first.

then we can all worry about where the conference tournament is played.

• Upvote 1