NDSU at ORU

theeagleman5

ORU Men's Basketball = Groundhog Day.....TheEagleman keeps waking up to "I've Got You, Babe" ... my big fat cat sees his shadow.....and Coach Sutton is explaining away another gut wrenching defeat and why our most athletic players have transferred to other institutions.......:-P

50 minutes ago, ManiacAlum said:

Does this mean we can go ahead and start a "Fire Scott Sutton and staff" thread, or just continue talking around the obvious?

i think OT hit the nail on the head.  Sutton will be the coach as long as Mike Carter is AD.

Sutton could average 10 wins for the next 10 years and retain his job as long as it's up to Mike Carter.  at some point Dr Wilson will have to step in.

the big question is what is his breaking point?  all indications seem to be as long as players graduate and there are no disciplinary issues, Dr Wilson is perfectly fine with the status of ORUMBB.  wins and losses no longer seem to be a high priority in ORU athletics --- again, we only have one program that competes yearly for championships (and baseball's success is due in large part to tradition, geography, and facilities)

• Upvote 1

I had the opportunity to sit at the scorers table at this game and I have to tell you it has totally changed my opinion of this situation.  Watching the coaching staff and the players interact was a real encouragement. The only thing I see from my seat in the 6th row of the stands is a dejected team that has no answers and no hope.   I aways thought that Coach Sutton's grumpy face was the real coach and was grumpy with his players too. But that is not what I saw sitting there.  The whole staff works together, shares the coaching tips during time outs, and encourages the players.  They even knew when to joke with the guys and when to push on them.  And all the players are genuine.  They are great kids. That team and staff has a great chemistry that you cannot see from the stands. I understand why the AD and university aren't panicking.  I am sure some of that was it was the last game and there was nothing to play for, but I didn't see a team who lost their hope or their respect for the staff. I was happy with what I saw.  It made me proud and more empathetic.  Those are great people who occupy those blue Golden Eagle chairs.  

And as usual, It reminds me that being fans makes us only observers, not experts.   We don't see the whole picture. They know what they are doing. Im glad they don't listen to my arm chair quarterbacking. 

• Upvote 5

We all wish the team did better - and players & coaches more than us. They put in long hours of practice & preparation and want to succeed. That is not to make excuses, the coaches are paid well to produce a winning product and that hasn't happened for a while. 

We can be proud that all of the seniors are (or have) graduated.  

3 hours ago, ORUalum said:

i think OT hit the nail on the head.  Sutton will be the coach as long as Mike Carter is AD.

Sutton could average 10 wins for the next 10 years and retain his job as long as it's up to Mike Carter.  at some point Dr Wilson will have to step in.

the big question is what is his breaking point?  all indications seem to be as long as players graduate and there are no disciplinary issues, Dr Wilson is perfectly fine with the status of ORUMBB.  wins and losses no longer seem to be a high priority in ORU athletics --- again, we only have one program that competes yearly for championships (and baseball's success is due in large part to tradition, geography, and facilities)

That's true. Well, I just mean from the standpoint of fans officially making their voices heard. I think there was some discussion here about who may read this board.

You're right, Wilson may not care as long as their are no off-the-court issues. Plus, it's not like he's been here long enough to actually see the benefits of a good basketball program.

I don't know much about Dr. Wilson, but when he started I remember reading that he received his undergraduate degree from Western Kentucky. I hoped that might make him a hoops fan by default, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

7 hours ago, ORUIsbig said:

I had the opportunity to sit at the scorers table at this game and I have to tell you it has totally changed my opinion of this situation.  Watching the coaching staff and the players interact was a real encouragement. The only thing I see from my seat in the 6th row of the stands is a dejected team that has no answers and no hope.   I aways thought that Coach Sutton's grumpy face was the real coach and was grumpy with his players too. But that is not what I saw sitting there.  The whole staff works together, shares the coaching tips during time outs, and encourages the players.  They even knew when to joke with the guys and when to push on them.  And all the players are genuine.  They are great kids. That team and staff has a great chemistry that you cannot see from the stands. I understand why the AD and university aren't panicking.  I am sure some of that was it was the last game and there was nothing to play for, but I didn't see a team who lost their hope or their respect for the staff. I was happy with what I saw.  It made me proud and more empathetic.  Those are great people who occupy those blue Golden Eagle chairs.  

And as usual, It reminds me that being fans makes us only observers, not experts.   We don't see the whole picture. They know what they are doing. Im glad they don't listen to my arm chair quarterbacking. 

Great post! :clap: