2017-18 (Roster, Schedule, etc)

ORUalum

Yeah....enjoy that silver lining when ORU is sitting there with a 2-11 record on Christmas morning.....just sayin'.....TheEagleman still loves his ORU Golden Eagles but this is just a brutal first 6 weeks for new coach Paul Mills, his staff and players.....always a chance we can win several of these games but  in addition to the coaching turnover at least 50% of the players are newcomers also.....I guess we won't know until the season starts.....I will take some hope in the fact that we have a lot of experienced front court depth returning.....maybe I will be pleasantly surprised and the team finds a way to win 5 or 6 of these games.....I mean, we surely have a shot at victory in places like Penn State, FGCU, and in the 2 game tournament at Pepperdine....maybe also at TU, Missouri State and UALR....all these teams are not powerhouse schools......but winning on the road at the D-1 level is always tough....and when you string 5 or 6 road games in a row like we have and 11 of 13 games....that's just asking a lot of 19 and 20 year old kids.....:unsure:

ORU82,

can you provide a link to ORU playing at Missouri St this year?  the only article i could find, while stating it is the 17-18 schedule, actually references the 16-17 schedule.

ORU played @ MSU on Dec 14th last year (MSU sched 16-17)

LINK

The Bears will play five non-conference games on the road and that includes a trip to Las Vegas to play Southern Cal, Depaul or Wyoming.

The headliner will be Valparaiso coming to Springfield December, 10th. The Crusaders and Bears were in the same AMCU Conference back in the 80's. Valpo beat the Bears at their place last season, and won 30 games.

The Bears will open the season at home Friday, November 11th against Alabama A&M, North Dakota State is in town on the 27th.

Missouri State plays Air Force in Colorado as part of the Valley-Mountain West Challenge on December, 3rd. There's Valpo on the 10th and Oral Roberts on the 14th.

i'm betting ORU's two D1 home games will be Missouri St and Oakland (sans Stevie Clark -- now playing NAIA ball)

It is a pretty incredible schedule.  The goal should be to stay competitive and in every game at a minimum.  If they can go .500 in non-conference they should have a legit chance at doing very well in the Summit.  I think you guys are going to love some of the new players, both Jucos and the grad transfer, to pair up with two bonafide studs in Al and Emanuel.  They aren't lacking in talent.  I do believe depth is a question and this schedule could wear them down big time.  The S&C coach and training staff will be earning their money this semester.

I do admire your optimism, Lurker....thanks for the insight on the new squad...and TheEagleman loves the new coach and his enthusiasm...Paul has already has been kind enough to reach out to me and offer some tickets if I can make it up to the Penn State game at Thanksgiving....and I am going to try to get up there with my grandsons....it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive on Black Friday.....:tb-blue:

I also like Mills a lot.  He seems genuine and I think he'll be a great recruiter.  This season will be his best chance to show what kind of ball coach he is because there is nowhere to hide! 

First ORU men's basketball meeting of the year..

I don't see Emir Ahmedic in the picture.... unless that is him in the back on the left

11 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

First ORU men's basketball meeting of the year..

I don't see Emir Ahmedic in the picture.... unless that is him in the back on the left

is that Darian Harris between Papi Conley and Sam Kearns?

that does look like Emir up in the corner.....LINK

13 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Where is Jontray Harris?

that looks like a tattooed forearm sitting to the left of Manek

The 2017-18 roster has been posted on oruathletics.com:  http://www.oruathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/roster

A couple of observations:

Jontray Harris is listed.

So is Emir Ahmedic, but without a picture.  He either just arrived and they haven't had a chance to schedule a photo, or he's still finishing up business of some sort in Little Rock/Europe/who-knows-where, and has yet to step on campus.*

If the headshot photos are any indication, it does look like many of the returnees have lost weight.

(*scariest scenario for ORU:  he's having second thoughts about attending college in the U.S. in general, or attending ORU in particular, and he's staying in Little Rock/Europe/who-knows-where.  It happens...)

A little birdie told me Emir had visa delays.  He'll be here next week.  Do they have internet in Bosnia so he can get his class work?

Jontray is there for sure.

They (Scott Williams) figured out his visa issue and Emir is on his way to Tulsa. They also had to get him through the Clearinghouse - not an easy task. 

My senior year at ORU was Dick Acres first full year as head coach.  A month or so after school started in the fall of 1983, a kid named Charles Dorsey from California enrolled from out of nowhere and went on to become a very capable starter on a good team.

They can make up the schoolwork - just get 'em here by November, I suppose.

And these days, Charles Dorsey is pastoring a church in California. He went on to earn an M.Div. after ORU.

@ Arkansas

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Arkansas men’s basketball program unveiled its final four opponents for the 2017-18 non-conference schedule on Monday afternoon, putting a lid on the most dynamic slate of the Mike Anderson era.

The final four opponents coming to Bud Walton Arena are Bucknell (Nov. 12), Fresno State (Nov. 17), Colorado State (Dec. 5) and Oral Roberts (Dec. 19). Bucknell is fresh off an NCAA Tournament berth after winning the Patriot League regular season and tournament championship a year ago, while Fresno State and Colorado State both appeared in the NIT last season.