So much for sneaking up on Memphis...

Guest EagleBackr

Guest EagleBackr

....with all this hype we're getting about being "the best #16 ever", we're gonna look like a disappointment nationally if we DON'T win! We've got a #1 seed with a 30-3 record feeling like they're getting no respect - I didn't think that was possible! Memphis has probably rented an extra bulletin board for their locker room in Dallas for all these columns picking ORU to upset them. I'll tell you this much - we better bring our "A" game Friday, because I can GUARANTEE you Memphis is WIDE AWAKE for this one by now...

ORU still has nothing to lose (remember it is our first time in the NCAA in 22 years) and Memphis has everything to lose!! Since a 16 seed has never won, the public still doesn't expect us to, only we do. We should come in focused and relaxed and improve those odds of winning from 13.5% to 50%.

So much for "No Pressure" on ORU.

Question is Memphis going to have to put too much energy into this game. IF they blow us up, will they get bounced in the second round

or

If the try too hard, could we beat them. Is the pressure really on Memphis. Do they believe the hype?

I think they are beginning to believe the hype and it will work to our benefit.

I'll let you in on a secret. Memphis has been dealing with a lack of respect for most of the year, but especially in the last month or so. Ever since it appeared that the #1 seeds would be us, UConn, 'Nova and Duke, it became fashionable to pick against us because of our youth and weak conference.

I will admit that CUSA is weak, but the same "experts" that say our youth and inexperience will be our downfall will turn around and praise Kansas and North Carolina's youth and excuse their early season struggles because "they play mostly freshmen and it took them a while to gel." Meanwhile, our mostly-freshmen team has been whipping people all year.

My point is, Memphis won't be overlooking ANYBODY in this tournament, especially not the 16 seed. Calipari has complimented your team, says Caleb Green is a great player, praised Sutton's coaching ability, and said last night that you should have been a higher seed. I agree, and hope for a good game. A 30 point blowout is bad for both teams, IMO.

Coach Calipari is too good of a coach to not take any opponent seriously. As ORU fans we just hope your players overlook us. Obviously, we know that Memphis is athletic and talented at every position. There is a good chance we will see at least three of your players competing in the NBA. That said, funny things can happen in a basketball game. We will need every ORU player to have career games and for Memphis to really stumble.... but at ORU we believe in miracles.

As I said in a previous post, except for ORU - I am pulling for Memphis because they can really stick it to the basketball 'establishment'. I would like nothing better than for Memphis - from a mid-major, non-power conference - to run the table.

From the Memphis board -

"I'm so confused. Did Oral Roberts do something this year I missed? They do look better than a #16 to me, and I don't think that we can just show up and win. But to listen to everyone nationally, you'd think we just barely got in the tourney and that ORU is some kind of juggernaut. They just can't be much different than the teams we played in our conference. They played some good teams close, fine. Marshall beat W Virginia, Central Florida lost to Kentucky by one, Tulsa played Oklahoma close. We lost to Duke by 3, Texas, after leading with 5 minutes left, and UAB in their biggest game in history. What am I not seeing? If we play anything like right, it's not close.

The media has ruined this NCAA for me. I want to win and stick it in their face so bad I can't stand it. I won't be satisfied now unless we get to the Final Four. "

The post following that one made an interesting point - the national press is down on Memphis because they aren't part of the "Big 6".

I hadn't really thought about that angle before - a 1 seed from a mid-major program breaks all the rules regarding 1 seeds, and makes them a target. What better way to bang away at them than to pump up their #16 opponent? When was the last time a team from a mid-major was a 1 seed?

It DOES seem to me that we've gotten an inordinately large amount of press given our position in the overall scheme of things. We're a sixteen seed, after all. Are any other sixteens, or fifteens, getting so much attention? Scott was even interviewed on ESPN on Saturday afternoon.

The history of our University provides comedians and jerk columnists with plenty of material, but apart from that, it almost makes me feel a little uncomfortable, the way all of the publicity is making us and the rest of the country feel like we have a greater hope for winning than is reasonable.

Why do YOU think our program is receiving so much pub???

That was a great post.

Something else to think about from an earlier post on this thread is that, should Memphis make a run in this deal, I would think their athleticism would be of great benefit in the "second game" of each weekend. Assuming most teams spend their time scouting one opponent at a time, they would have several days to prepare for the Thurs/Fri. game and only one day to prepare for the Sat./Sun. game. Seems to me this would favor teams like Memphis?

I'm curious if there is any merit to this theory and whether any of you have given much thought to this-

ORUHomer, you could look at it from the other angle as well. Memphis is easier to prepare for since they depend on transition offense and athleticism. That is pretty simple to understand compared to schools with a complex offense. Would you rather prepare for a team that runs up and down the court or a team that runs the Princeton style offense? Memphis is actually the type of team you would want to play in the second round. You don't have to teach your players 20+ plays in one night. That's the lesson I learned from Huge with the Hawaii and Alaska tournaments. Monmouth was tough to prepare for in the third place game this year because they run the Princeton offense. ORU has two coaches that scout so the coaching staff is prepared for Arkansas or Bucknell in the second round. The problem is making sure the players understand the schemes on such short notice. The players will be very well prepared for the Memphis game. They'll know everything about who they are guarding. The coaches are always prepared and haven't taken off too many days during the season. It's not a job, it's a lifestyle for them. This staff will not lose a game because it didn't watch enough film or wasn't prepared.

The post following that one made an interesting point - the national press is down on Memphis because they aren't part of the "Big 6".[/quote[

... if by "national press" he means Billy Packer and Jim Nantz, the Laurel and Hardy of College Basketball punditry. :wink:

Guest darrenjj

The players will be very prepared for the schemes and what Memphis runs but, it all comes down to being able to rebound and not turn the ball over against Memphis. They will make some incredibly athletic plays and also commit a few stupid turnovers. Can Larry stay out of foul trouble against Carney and can Bluitt control the tempo and make Washington shoot jumpers? Just a few questions. Really looking forward to seeing them down here in Dallas.There will be plenty seats available at the game if prices seem to high right now. Oh by the Billy Packer is a moron for what he did on Sun. and Missouri St. got jobbed!!

Teams from non-power conferences that got a #1 seed.

Memphis - 2006

Cincinnati - 2002

UMass - 1996

UNLV - 1991

Doesn't happen often.

Teams from non-power conferences that got a #1 seed.

Memphis - 2006

Cincinnati - 2002

UMass - 1996

UNLV - 1991

Doesn't happen often.

Thanks for doing my homework for me, man! I was just TOO LAZY!

What is your take on what I posted? Do you think that is part of the reason ORU is getting so much pub?

Seems like Memphis' style of play and athletisism is sort of a catch 22. They don't have alot of complex plays to learn and be prepared for, but that also means that all the time spent looking at their film won't provide as much of an advantage. With guys like Larry and Celeb, the eagles should be able to hold their own athletically, so it would be nice if they can make darius washington take alot of jumpers. That guy is not the best shooter and thinks he's about 5 times as good as he really is; a 7 for 28 day from the field would do alot to help oru pull off the upset.

Caleb and Larry will get their boards. Yemi and Mickey really need to come up huge on the rebounding.

Owens/Yemi/whoever being able to keep Rodney Carey or whatever his name is from taking over will be big...He's been called the most athletic player in NCAA and a NBA Lotto pick by several people.