Huge week

oruvoice

On 1/12/2017 at 1:10 PM, BlueGold said:

And to anyone that will listen, PLEASE START LAKOTA BEATTY!

Or at least have her be one of our starters at the beginning of the game, and maybe then, if you still want to do whatever it is that you're doing by not starting her in every quarter, at least base the decision whether to start her at the beginning of every quarter, or not, on where we are in the game (score, who has or most recently had the momentum, has she been hot or do you have a feeling that she could get hot, etc, etc.).

Thank you. 

Think of Lakota as the Manu Ginobili of the Spurs for this team. We know she is probably the best player/scorer on this team, but we need someone to lead the second unit. With all the youth on this team, the second team doesn't have a "go to scorer" (especially with Doyle and Balla out). I like the idea of Lakota coming off the bench and providing a spark for the second unit. She gets more playing time in the second half and crunch time.

That's actually a very good analogy, Weird Al.

I've thought the same as my good buddy BlueGold, but the Manu Ginobili parallel makes sense.

Honestly, considering we lost (3 likely starters or close to it), Bria Pitts, Jordan Doyle, and Dorka Balla all to injury this year (not to mention Mo Brotons out the past couple of weeks)...the fact that we are 10-7 is pretty remarkable. I ain't gonna question our staff.

Bria Pitts, is she still around?  I don't see her on the roster.  Is Maria Marti redshirting?  Any idea when Mo will be back?  

We are definitely short handed and the freshman are getting quite a bit of experience, which may help us eventually.

Bria had another knee injury right before the season began. Something like her 4th or 5th major knee injury. She hung up her sneakers for good. Can't blame her.

Marti is redshirting. I think due to an injury.

Not sure when Mo will be back. Hopefully soon, as we only have Maria and Faith as post players. Not much room for error/foul trouble.

And yes, logging some good minutes for the freshmen. As a "true" point guard, I really like how Rachel Skalnik plays the game. She doesn't stuff the box score, but she seems to have a real understanding for how to play point guard.

On 1/12/2017 at 3:00 PM, oruvoice said:

ORU82 has it right.

And, while last night was disappointing...it's just one game. If we lay another egg on Saturday, then I might get a little concerned.

It's time to be concerned, the suckage continues, we're down 46-29 at the half against SDSU on our home floor at the Magnificent Mabee Center.  Game's not over, still a half to go, but it's over.  No leadership on the court, our scoring is almost nonexistent, our effort, especially in going after loose balls and hustling for rebounds hasn't been there, is anyone going to step up?  And our perimeter defense has been atrocious, we're not closing on their shooters at the 3-point line, and granted they're hitting threes at an unreal pace, but we've got to close on their shooters and show the will and determination to take pride on defense, and I haven't seen it so far.

What in the world has happened to this team?

SDSU 78-57.  Was hoping for a better response from us in the second half, but no.  We scored less points in the second half than we did in the first, and that included the 2 or 3 minutes where we had our starters (minus Maria, who'd fouled out) in the game and they pretty much didn't.  Not sure what more to say, if we can't hold our home court in this league, or at least play better against the supposed contenders, than how can we call ourselves contenders?

Oh, and we started Lakota today like I thought we should, and it didn't help, at all, so I'm done trying to say what I think should be done, and I'm definitely done in evaluating anything and everything when it comes to our players, both current and future, since I obviously don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Next 2 games at IUPUI (another supposed contender in the league) and Fort Wayne, then home for Denver before closing out January at NDSU.  Still 11 games left but we've lost 3 in a row and the last 2 in blowouts, and now we go on the road for 3 of our next 4.  Gut check time, big time, for the ladies.