Little Rock at ORU

theeagleman5

My three takeaways:

-UALR came in averaging over 77 points a game and we held them to less than 50 on 34% shooting. Really proud of the defensive effort. 

- Great game from our bench. I've worried all season long about our depth, but AY, Darian and Big Chris all contributed solid minutes. And the players not on the court were vocal and up on their feet often. Didn't see the Sutton Sulk at all tonight. 

-My biggest frustration this season has been Our inability to break a press. When they first threw it at us tonight we looked like deer in the headlights, but we settled down and were able to break it comfortably. Still making poor choices, but better than a month ago. 

5 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Good point, 82....Darian Harris has been a major contributor in the past two games...that's going to be much needed in Summit League play.....any word on Javon White?....ORU has really missed that young man.....:geek:

At this point, I think it's too late for him to join. I'd rather save the year of eligibility. 

Great defense tonight and great team effort.  We played very tough defensive inside tonight and even better on the perimeter.  Congrats to the team and coaches for a job well done.  Taken it to Richmond Friday boys.  One request for the Athletic Department, since Friday's game will not be on ESPN3, can you at least get the audio feed going on the website so us out-of-towners can listen in?  Thanks in advance.

I heard in the preseason that they wanted to redshirt White if at all possible. They didn't want to rush his rehab and thought Javan wouldn't be totally ready until January or so. 

38 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

-My biggest frustration this season has been Our inability to break a press. When they first threw it at us tonight we looked like deer in the headlights, but we settled down and were able to break it comfortably. Still making poor choices, but better than a month ago.

mine is the inability to execute and score on baseline inbounds plays on offense (miss Obi and his mid-range jumper), and the inability to defend the other team on baseline inbound plays.  it feels like we never get a good shot or turn it over on offense and always give up an easy bucket when on defense.

I've never so many good- looking athletes as UALR had that can't shoot a lick. 

Not a work of art, but beautiful nonetheless tonight to get a win.  Always happy when to guys prove me wrong!

Datian Harris is for whatever reason a steadying influence bringing the ball up against full-court pressure. 

"Bad Albert" in the house tonight. Freaks out whenever doubled. 

Emmanuel has a 2-minute-or-so stretch every game where he's the best player on the floor. Then he disappears.

Really good officiating crew tonight - they let 'em play, and the low score reflects it:  no easy buckets, and a minimum of free throws  

The razzle dazzle opening with the lights turned down is really pitiful when there's no one there.  As the spotlights oscillate over row upon empty row in the Gold Section, before finally illuminating an isolated fan or two, I'm reminded of some old prison movie where the escapees get caught out in the yard after dark. 

14 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Datian Harris is for whatever reason a steadying influence bringing the ball up against full-court pressure.

I wish Harris would look to shoot more. He seems to be hesitant even when wide open.

Did anyone else notice that Darian got exactly zero minutes against Ole Miss? Despite starting the game before at Baylor and playing 15 minutes the next night against Loyola and looking fine. It sure seems like there was something non-health related going on but we sure could have used him down the stretch, especially inbounding, against Ole Miss. 

7 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I wish Harris would look to shoot more. He seems to be hesitant even when wide open.

See, I disagree - when he doesn't hit his shots, he lets it affect the rest of his play.  And ORU needs the other things he brings to the table; they can't afford for him to disappear out there.

I think they should use him like Yemi - tell him to focus on defense, rebounding, and bringing the ball up against his bigger & slower defenders, and only look to shoot if wide open.  Maybe even post him up a time or two if he's guarded by a smaller guy on a switch.  Just little things to get him into a rhythm, so the perimeter shots come easier late in the game when they are needed the most.

While Darian seems to have good mechanics, he's never allowed the game to slow down when it comes to knocking down buckets. I agree, until he can "grow up" on the court, he should stick to things he has high confidence in. 

So Last night was the first time we have held a D-1 team under 50 since beating Xavier in 2011 almost 5 years to the day,  64-42....and by the way....I guess we will be seeing the GOLD uniforms again on Friday night.......:geek:

58 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

By the way....I guess we will be seeing the GOLD uniforms again on Friday night.......:geek:

Unfortunate. The Gold uniforms were nice for one season.  I think the grey uni's were the best we've ever seen. Has anyone noticed how nice Christ's Chapel looks since they've replaced the gold windows? Maybe our athletic department should take note.

Still very excited about our win yesterday. The guys had every reason to pack it in. Right in the middle of Christmas break, coming off a tough loss, can't get a D-1 win, smallest and quietest crowd I've seen in a long time. But our guys played HARD. Against a good team. Let's not forget, UALR won thirty games last year, won their conference, AND won a game in the tourney. 

All this to say, proud of the effort and intensity last night. Credit to team leadership and coaching staff.

UALR was 39-7 since the beginning of 2015 coming into last nights' game....very impressive...one of the best records in D-1 over that time period.....and TheEagleman also prefers those gray uniforms....very nice....:eagles::hcsutton2::eagles:

48 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Unfortunate. The Gold uniforms were nice for one season.  I think the grey uni's were the best we've ever seen. Has anyone noticed how nice Christ's Chapel looks since they've replaced the gold windows? Maybe our athletic department should take note.

My ranking of alternate uniforms:

1.  throwback/classic ORU w/flame logo
  2.  greys
  3.  golds

saw the pics of Christ's Chapel on ORU's facebook......let's pray this is a move to "de-gold" the entire campus over the next few years......it looks great

I think it was OR who had a thing for gold....he used to have solid gold faucets in the bathroom in his office....guessing those are long gone....TheEagleman was a student when the Chapel was built and opened and I was in the first graduating class that graduated in it....I never liked the gold windows...very gaudy....I remember marching up the aisle after getting my diploma and throwing our hats up in the air after we got out into the lobby.....the graduation speaker in 1976 was Richard DeVos, the owner of Amway and a good friend of Oral....I believe he's worth like $5-6 Billion today.....lol....:geek:

34 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

My ranking of alternate uniforms:

1.  throwback/classic ORU w/flame logo
  2.  greys
  3.  golds

saw the pics of Christ's Chapel on ORU's facebook......let's pray this is a move to "de-gold" the entire campus over the next few years......it looks great

Someone needs to start a campaign to bring the flame back to all of our uniforms.   The block :oru-logo: logo would be missed by no one. 

Bring back the flame! 

I liked the Grey uni's as well (more than the gold), but my favorite has always been the road navy - wouldn't mind seeing them at home, if the opponent wears something that contrasts (like gold - LOL).

Better yet, a BLACK uni with trim in white, bright blue and athletic gold (like the colors in the 70's uni's) plus the old flame logo would be AWESOME.  South Dakota State has something similar they roll out on occasion, and I think it's their best look.

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really do like the Vegas Gold, or Team Gold, which I've seen Nike refer to it either way. I would even like to see ORU wear them on the road some time....

I just didn't dig the gray....I've never been a fan of teams wearing uniforms of a color that isn't even a school color? Also, I too would like to see the Aachen font ORU go away.....why can't they represent the founder of the school with his name....I'm pretty sure they did a few years back on the gold uni's once, but it looked terrible IMHO, because it was all on one line...I think it would look good, similar to what East Carolina does...

Lastly, I would love to see some retro Titans/flame uniforms of some type....anything to get away from the stale ORU

unis.jpg