Stephen Colbert says ORU goes all the way!!!!

Stl VU Fan

Do any of you ever watch Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report"?

I'm a regular fan, and I just tuned in to tonight's show, which I always record so I can watch later, and in his "Tip of the Cap" segment, he gives one to ORU who is not only going to beat Memphis, but go all the way, because you guys got the 900 foot Jesus on your side :lol::o

It usually repeats a couple of times, in this case it will be on again tonight at 12:30 am, tomorrow at 9:30 am, 1:30 pm, and 7:30 pm. It's a half-hour show.

Too funny.

I do think its humorous that we got on the show but seriously, like TMH or Terry or whoever said today....when are people gonna give up on the 900 ft Jesus jokes?

Colbert would be a lot funnier if he would learn to read the teleprompter without stammering all over himself. The pauses and flub-ups are weak. Rob Cordry is way funnier.

I just thought it was cute.

Colbert plays - in a satrical way - a serious, gung-ho, conservative Christian Republican.

If he was going to mention ORU at all (which by itself is extraordinary), you knew he was going to use something like that.

Believe me, his audience knows that he was being silly, including about the 900 foot Jesus. I wouldn't include this mention along with all the other ones you have to endure. He ALWAYS exaggerates everything - with a straight face, no less.

Colbert would be a lot funnier if he would learn to read the teleprompter without stammering all over himself. The pauses and flub-ups are weak. Rob Cordry is way funnier.

I always figured it was part of the act. Taken seriously, you are correct, of course.

On the other hand, when Colbert used to have Cordry's gig, he was pretty darn funny as well. My favorite was his report outside Buckingham Palace when the Prince Charles Sex-"we can't be specific"-scandal hit.

Oh Colbert was hilarious back on the Daily Show, he had so many good bids. I used to just watch that show for the colbert cordry parts, didn't really like Jon Stewart. I don't think Colbert carries the show as well he could, but he really has some very funny moments. And to make this basketball related GO ORU!!!

Whenever Colbert guest hosted, man I loved those episodes of the Daily Show.

I love Stewart myself.

By the way, if you guys didn't watch it tonight but are just going on what I said, I'd give it a look tomorrow, I think you might find the clip hilarious if you see it for yourself.

lol, well hey, I said something similar when we faced MSU last year in the bracket buster game and I'll say this now - They can say what they want, but I for one wouldn't mind if we rode the 900-foot Jesus all the way to the national title!

I saw the clip and actually found it to be pretty funny. I thought it was done as tastefully as possible given the subject matter. Oral said it, so we should embrace it and laugh as long as things don't go too far.

I saw the clip and actually found it to be pretty funny. I thought it was done as tastefully as possible given the subject matter. Oral said it, so we should embrace it and laugh as long as things don't go too far.

Good for you.

He actually referred to it again tonight while interviewing his guest, Keith Olberman, after they finished "arguing" over whether or not Bill O'Reilly is a tool.

Stephen Colbert is a God among mere mortals. I saw the bit on Oral Roberts and thought it was hilarious. With that said, I wish that anytime anyone ever mentions this school they didn't automatically take into consideration our religious affiliation. I guess the press has too much ammo (Richard's public divorce, all the crap that Oral said in his later years) for me to complain too much.

...all the crap that Oral said in his later years

Since this is a basketball forum, I won't get into it with you...btw, Oral's not dead.

I have actually been impressed the amount of coverage that ORU gets as strictly a basketball team, and not as a religious novelty act. It seems that whenever the 900ft. Jesus is brought up, it's as nostalgia, rather than a real jab at the university. I think the media has by-in-large moved on from those hot topics of past years. Even during the ESPN broadcast of the mid-con championship, everytime they showed Richard or talked about Oral, it was always done respectully.

You're right for the most part, AFB, but there have still been quite a few references to it since last Tuesday. Mostly the press has talked about ORU in terms of basketball, though.

I guess, for whatever reason, I'm bugged by the 900 Ft. Jesus comments more than some others. I see it, when made by people in the press, as being intended ONLY as a cheap shot.

It bothers me as well. Because funny or not, I can't find any good intention in them at all - they're definitely meant at our expense.

I feel like the jokes used today are not really aimed at the university as it currently exists, but really are just a jab at circa 1980 Oral Roberts. That is to say that, I bet you would never see some over aggressive reporter (ala Jim Gray) asking coach Sutton about 900ft. Jesus, because the media doesn't really draw the link between those comments and the current university/basketball team. The only times i really see it are when comedians bring it up, which again, is more of a "hey, remember when this happened?" type of thing, and not so much a "look at oru, those guys are crazy!" type of thing. I think they university is more respected than that both athletically and academically.

I think you are right Fairbanks. It's a little laughable to me that any of us would get upset about someone saying something about that. Who cares? It sounded a little crazy but so did building a school in cow fields. The fact is that Oral said some things that sounded pretty crazy. Can you imagine what that must sound like to people who heard that? If we believe that what he heard was inspired by God, then what do we have to get mad at? Doesn't the Bible say that the message of the cross is foolishness to those who don't believe? Let it roll off your back.