Summit League Preseason Teleconference

Old Titan

We also have a good/deep group of guards.

If you just look at the current roster, and not think about having lost Obi, you'd see we have a chance to be pretty good.

Despite all the pre-season prognosticators picking us 6th-8th, I think we have the talent to finish in the top 2-3. And, I wouldn't be shocked if we won the conference. No team in our league strikes fear into my heart.

The keys will be:

1. Can/will we play defense?

2. Can/will we rebound?

Both of these are more about effort than anything else - although it does help to be quick and tall. ;)

3. Can/will we distribute the ball? I hope we can develop a "passing culture". The big guys need perimeter players to make entry passes. That in turn will open up their shots. 

4. What kind of team chemistry do we have?

8 hours ago, oruvoice said:

We also have a good/deep group of guards.

If you just look at the current roster, and not think about having lost Obi, you'd see we have a chance to be pretty good.

As great a player as he was, I think the rest of the guards are better off without Obi. By the end of the season, our offense was stagnant and predictable.

1) Get the ball to Obi.

2) If he can't create a shot, throw up something from beyond the arc and hope it goes in. 

I think our guards will flourish under a more structured offense. 

Sutton mentioned that we will see a return to more of an "inside-out" game. Something we haven't seen in several years because of our lack of post depth.

That could also help clear lanes for guards to drive. 

Our guards have to make the entry pass. When a post player seals his opponent the ball has to go inside. 

283rd in the country in scoring defense........unless they improve that number drastically, i don't care how much depth they have or how good the young players look.

9 hours ago, ORUalum said:

283rd in the country in scoring defense........unless they improve that number drastically, i don't care how much depth they have or how good the young players look.

Having size and depth will drastically help that number.

With so little size, most of our players were playing out of position and guarding players much bigger. Shouldn't be the case this year. We'll see.

2 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Having size and depth will drastically help that number.

With so little size, most of our players were playing out of position and guarding players much bigger. Shouldn't be the case this year. We'll see.

Those factors will certainly help, but they also need to commit themselves to do what it takes to play defense/rebound. A big part of succeeding in those areas is effort - by everyone. Can't have four guys playing tough defense and the fifth player slacking off. The coaches can emphasize it, but the players have to put it into practice. It's a team game. 

Really enjoying the analysis, guys - even if it does make me look downright upbeat by comparison!

My three keys to the season:

1.  Can Albert Owens play 28+ minutes a night?

2.  Can Jalen Bradley guard anybody?

3.  Can Kris Martin average 16+ points a game?

If those three things happen, look out... :-o

49 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

1.  Can Albert Owens play 28+ minutes a night?

More like, can AO "play angry".  When he is animated, he is aggressive and intimidating.  Hope he can become the star he's capable of being. 

Yes....we need a center who looks like Tarzan and plays like Tarzan.....not one who plays like Jane as AO did much of the time last year.....TheEagleman saw him play a couple of strong games but he was very inconsistent......:huh:

So what would the interior look like 'contribution-wise'?

Owens, White, Miller, Nzekwski?.... What do they expect from Manek this season?

Major improvements in rebounding and defense would be more than welcome, we don't even have a chance trying to outscore teams in this league.

I read somewhere that the coaches were playing Nzekwski on the wing. Evidently he has a 'face up' game. We will see. I'm hoping we see some contribution from Manek this season. 

• Upvote 1

If Nzekwski can play the "3" and have White & Owens on the floor at the "4 & 5" (with Miller & Manek rotating in), that gives us a lineup with more size/athleticism than anyone in the conference.

Lots of possibilities/combinations.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ManiacAlum said:

...we don't even have a chance trying to outscore teams in this league.

Why not?

• Upvote 1

assuming a healthy roster to start the season, i predict Manek and RJ get red-shirts