I just got a copy of USA Today...

Otis 83

as I do every year on the Monday following Selection Sunday. Top notch coverage from "The Nation's Newspaper" as they have named themselves. It has some interesting ORU tidbits in it.

Dick Vitale lists Caleb Green as one of his 4 "Players to Watch" (Marcus Williams, J.J. Redick, T.J. Carter are the others). "Caleb Green, Oral Roberts. Junior Forward led team to NCAA tournament for first time in 22 years."

USA Today's oddsmaker Danny Sheridan must not have consulted with Vitale before he made ORU a 5 sextillion:1 longshot to win the tournament. He has given ORU the longest odds of any team in the tournament. I don't recall sextillion from my statistics class but it appears to be greater than a trillion. If Sheridan is so smart why is he neither a professional gambler or an oddsmaker for a sports book?

Here's the summary for the Golden Eagles:

No. 16 Oral Roberts

Nickname: Golden Eagles. Location: Tulsa, Okla.

Record: 21-11, 13-3. Bid: Mid-Continent champ.

NCAA history: 2-2 in two appearances. Last: 1984, Lost to Memphis in the first round.

Coach (NCAA tournament record): Scott Sutton, first appearance.

Overview: Oral Roberts avenged its loss in last season's conference championship with its first-ever conference championship, defeating Chicago State. Now, the Golden Eagles' first-round opponent will have to look out for All-tournament team members Caleb Green, who leads the conference in scoring, Larry Owens and Ken Tutt, who missed 10 games with a broken right foot. Owens and Green rank in the top three in the conference in rebounding. Oral Roberts ranks second in the conference in scoring offense and scoring defense, outrebounding its opponents by about five a game.

Best wins: Valparaiso, W. Illinois, Chicago State

Starters: F Caleb Green, 6-8, Jr. (20.8 ppg, 8.9 rpg); F Larry Owens, 6-7, Sr. (12.5 ppg, 7.8 rpg). C Mickey Michalec, 6-11, Sr. (6.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg).G Jonathan Bluitt, 5-9, Sr. (7 ppg, 4.2 apg); G Ken Tutt, 6-1, Jr. (14.3 pg, 84.1 FT%).

Reserves: G Chris Riouse, 6-2, Sr. (7.8 ppg, 45.2 3FG%); G/F Moses Ehambe, 6-5, So. (4.5 ppg, 70 FT%).

Lastly, I always enjoy comparing the Sagarin ratings to the RPI. Apparently Jeff's formula assigns a little more respect to ORU than the RPI formula does. The Golden Eagles rank 122 with 6 tournament teams behind them. Memphis is number 5, about 15 points over ORU. The RPI ranks ORU 131 ahead of 4 tournament teams.

Dick Vitale lists Caleb Green as one of his 4 "Players to Watch" (Marcus Williams, J.J. Redick, T.J. Carter are the others). "Caleb Green, Oral Roberts. Junior Forward led team to NCAA tournament for first time in 22 years."

Totally awsome, baby! We've been saying that on our message board for a few weeks.

did you seee the odds of us winning the tourney 5 gazillion to 1 the worst odds of anyone what a joke