ORU to face Memphis - TW (front page) 3-13-2006

ORUTerry

ORU to face Memphis

By MIKE STRAIN World Sports Editor

3/13/2006

OU draws Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Oral Roberts University seeks an unprecedented upset in the NCAA Tournament and won't be far from home when it plays for history. The University of Oklahoma will face a team with a big reputation from a small league.

The NCAA Tournament pairings were announced Sunday afternoon, and ORU is a No. 16 seed, the lowest in its regional. ORU (21-11) will face top-seeded Memphis (30-3) at approximately 2 p.m. Friday in Dallas. ORU will try to become the first No. 16 seed in NCAA history to win a game.

Sixth-seeded Oklahoma (20-8) will play 11th-seeded Wisconsin-Milwaukee (21-8) at 11:25 a.m. Thursday in Jacksonville, Fla.

Oklahoma State wasn't included in the NCAA field for the first time since 1997 but will continue its season in the National Invitation Tournament.

ORU will make its first NCAA appearance since 1984. The Golden Eagles face a daunting challenge. No. 16 seeds are 0-84 since the tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985. Memphis is the Conference USA regular-season and postseason champion.

When ORU's name appeared on television during the NCAA selection show Sunday, the team's star player, Caleb Green, immediately flipped open his cell phone and called his mother.

"She was at my sister's AAU (basketball) game," Green said. "I told her, 'We're going to Texas.' My dad's side of the family is from Texas, so I know that's good for him to hear. They're right around the corner from us."

OU's opponent, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, received an automatic bid after winning the Horizon League conference tournament. Last year, Wisconsin-Milwaukee was seeded 12th in the NCAA Tournament and became one of the event's best performing underdogs. The Panthers won two games before losing in the Sweet Sixteen.

Arkansas is back in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2001. The Razorbacks (22-9) are a No. 8 seed and will play ninth-seeded Bucknell (26-4) at 11:30 a.m. Friday in Dallas.

Oklahoma State will play Miami, Fla., in a road game at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the NIT.