The importance of the coach

ORUProf

Let's have a friendly debate!

If you gave every ACTIVE coach in Division I men's basketball the same 10 players at the beginning of the season...who wins the championship by the end of the year?

Roy Williams! The whole world will see how great a coach he is this year when his inexperienced team makes it to the Big Dance.

Guest EagleBackr

After what I saw last night against Texas Tech, it might be Jim Boeheim (sp?) at Syracuse. I think he could put four cheerleaders and the team mascot in that match-up zone and get to the Sweet 16...

Guest Rob Marshall

First question to answer given where you're leading us ORUProf is ... are these ten Allen Iverson's or ten coachable kids? If they are coachable kids, no question Bob Knight. What he's done in Lubbock over the last four years (90 wins, three NCAA's including a Sweet Sixteen, and an NIT Final Four) is incredible. There is not a better teacher of the game of basketball than the General, Robert Montgomery Knight.

Regarding Syracuse, Dick Vitale said it best the other night during the game broadcast that teams who play a zone early in the season are typically very successful from a defensive standpoint because other teams haven't practiced/played much against a zone early in the season. That said, I'd love to see Texas Tech (and their seven freshmen) play Syracuse in a rematch next March.

Incidentally in case you missed it, Florida beat #16 Syracuse 75-70 the next night after Texas Tech lost in double overtime to #18 Wake Forest. See that's the thing too about Bob Knight, after his team lost 81-46 to Syracuse, he had his young Tech team prepared to play arguably as good of a team in Wake the very next night and "woulduv, shoulduv, coulduv," won the game before losing in double OT.