Another W and SDSU is next

oruvoice

Girls fought hard. Needed a few shots to fall and that didn't happen.

Still very excited about the trajectory of the team. And next year, with (hopefully) a healthy Bria, Lakota, Gilbert, and the new recruits, they'll have a chance to be REALLY good!

i say this every year, but how does SDSU manage to keep that coach......are they that far off the beaten path? 

it was no surprise that they won last night.  up in SD they are probably 25-30 pts better than ORU.  how on earth did they lose to USD?

absolutely amazing job by Cussen, her coaches, and players --- 6-2 the first pass through the league.   a 5-3 finish for the 2nd half would be outstanding for this club.

• 3 weeks later...
On January 28, 2016 at 9:30 AM, ORUalum said:

i say this every year, but how does SDSU manage to keep that coach......are they that far off the beaten path? 

it was no surprise that they won last night.  up in SD they are probably 25-30 pts better than ORU.  how on earth did they lose to USD?

absolutely amazing job by Cussen, her coaches, and players --- 6-2 the first pass through the league.   a 5-3 finish for the 2nd half would be outstanding for this club.

AJ was about ready to leave SDSU for Wisconsin Green Bay about 4 years ago.  He was in Chicago and changed his mind and decided to come back to SDSU.  There was some talk about him getting the Minnesota job when they got rid of Pam Bolden(?).  He beat Minnesota something like 4 of 5 times so why not give him a look.  Other than that, I don't know if I've heard much about him going anywhere.  

There is a lot of talk about South Dakota only allowing 1 year contracts to coaches or SDSU not paying well as reasons for coaches to leave but SDSU has had good success with their main 3 coaches.

Nagy has coached the MBB team for 21 years.  Some of those years were when SDSU was DII.  They made the NCAA tourney twice and won a NIT game last year.

AJ has coached the WBB team for 16 years.  He has made it to the NCAA tourney every year SDSU was eligible except for 1 year.  The other years that SDSU has been DI, they have went to the WNIT and won several games most years.  He also won a DII National Championship.

Coach Stig is the football coach.  He has been at SDSU for 19 years.  They are one of 5(??) teams to make it to the FCS playoffs the last 4 years.

I don't know what keeps these coaches at SDSU but they all started their coaching careers at SDSU and continue to stay there.  The football coach is from SD and is getting older so I don't see him going anywhere and AJ is having more success that Nagy but I don't know if either of the basketball coaches will go anywhere else on not.