Another W and SDSU is next

oruvoice

In case you missed it on Saturday afternoon, the ORU women won...again! Crushing Denver by 30 points.

Next up...Wednesday night at home against league favorite SDSU. We all should be rallying behind these girls. What they are doing with 7 healthy players is nothing short of amazing!

If you rarely come to women's games, you should make a point to be there Wednesday night.

This is truly an amazing turn around for the ORU ladies....almost as amazing as the downturn for the Men's team....ORU girls in first place and things are looking up as we appear hard to beat at Mabee Center.....GO BLUE!!!:lol:

Our ladies were unbelievable on Saturday. They played as if they were only up by a couple of points and needed every basket to win. The intensity was there for the ENTIRE GAME. They didn't let up. I wish the men's team could have been in the stands to watch them. This is how you win. Not to take anything away from the men and their efforts--it just seems that something isn't clicking for them--and I don't see the same "We've GOT to win this game!" attitude when they play.

I think the women also win because they focus so much on defense.

It was another team, Voice.

It's all about defense.  If your shots aren't falling, playing good defense will keep you in games and will oftentimes help win games for you.  Offense flows through your defense, and obviously, turning over your opponent takes possessions away from them and gives more of them to you, which means more opportunities for you to score.  And turnovers, especially steals, often result in fast break points and easy baskets.

Some observations:
- Like Voice said, what they are doing, winning as they have been with only 7 players is amazing.  I applaud them but... let's hope we don't lose anyone else for whatever reason, it's already a thin line we're treading with the number we have.  I think the coaches have been doing a pretty good job of balancing the minutes, but with only 7 players there are going to be some that play heavy minutes, and hopefully that doesn't kill us by the end of the season and going into conference tournament play.  Example- we blew Denver out by 32 but we still had 3 players that played 35+ minutes (Doyle and Martianez played 35 each, Mayberry 37).  With a deeper bench they likely wouldn't have been in there as much and probably would've played less than 30 minutes each.
- Impressed with us shooting 19 of 20 from the free throw line in the game against Denver.  We've been bad pretty much all season, so maybe this is a sign that we're focusing more on this.  It's the easiest shot in basketball, and we should be making no less than 80% of our free throws every game.  You can win or lose a game at the free throw line.
- Our freshman, Maria and Ashley, have had their inconsistencies this season, which is to be expected from freshmen, but they are both playing a lot and that will only help them and us going forward.  I like what we're doing with Maria, where we're running plays off her in the high post,  because she's active and sees the court well and finds people open.  At 6-3, I wanted to see her down in the post, but that's why I'm not a coach.  With Ashley, I expected her to come in and be more of a scorer, but it's taken her a little while to grow into playing at the D-1 level, and I'm excited to see her start to look for her shot more and be more agressive both offensively and defensively.
- KayKay has stepped up, especially with Bria out.  I was worried after the first 10 games or so that she'd never find her shot, but she has, and besides hitting the game-winning shot at Omaha she's had a big hand in helping us win at Kansas and so far in the Summit.
- Blair has also stepped up in a big way with her rebounding and defensive presence in the low post, and has also been scoring for us down there.  She also provides us with another threat, which makes it harder for defenses to key on just a couple of our shooters.
- Jordan Doyle has come such a long way since her first start as a freshman last season.  She's become 'Miss Steady Eddie' as our point guard, and though she doesn't get the number of assists you might expect from a PG, she's been good at not turning the ball over.  Averaging only 2.2 TO/G, and for as much as she has the ball, that's a pretty solid number.  We can also count on her chipping in offensively when she sees the opportunities to score and get open shots.  After Faith, she may be our best penetrator, and is definitely one of our best three-point shooters.
- Have to compliment Esther, she's like Faith from last season in how she comes off the bench and gives us really good energy in the limited minutes she gets.  She'll score some and get a big rebound, and I know it gets the team hyped.  They feed off that and off of each other.

Etc:
- Ouch Dorka, I've been through the whole plantar fasciitis thing and it's not pleasant.  It is very limiting, especially for someone like her, an athlete, that obviously runs so much and pushes off of her feet all the time.  Ouch.  It took me forever to get rid of it, even with manipulation by a chiropractor and exercises that targeted it, and steroid injections, but I'm an old fart and she's young, so hopefully she'll recover and play more and will be able to contribute sooner rather than later.  Good to see her get in for a few minutes in the last game.
- Glad to have read that Bria might very well be back this season, that would be awesome.  We definitely miss her, and I know she misses the game.  She'll come back strong and have a fire in her belly, and the Summit won't be ready.
- In regards to a recent thread:
a. Jasauen Beard has transferred (signed) with South Plains College (Levelland, TX), a junior college.  She's not on the current roster, maybe won't play for them until next season?
b. Haven't seen or heard anything on Jayden playing somewhere else.
c. Rylie Torrey was on campus for 6-7 weeks in May-July of last year working out and taking classes, then left the program and transferred to Northern Oklahoma College in Enid.  She left for reason or reasons unknown.
d. Fruzsi Fejes, from Hungary, was enrolled for the 2015 Fall semester but left school right after Labor Day for reason or reasons unknown.  She is back home in Hungary.
e. Tijana Raca, from Greece, signed with us in November 2014 and would've been a freshman this season.  She followed our former assistant coach Bojan Jankovic to Wyoming, and is on their team.  She's played in 7 of their 18 games and a total of 40 minutes.  It's pretty obvious that Bojan was the one most responsible for recruiting her to ORU, and when he left...

I prefer not to dwell on players we don't have and support the ones we do, just thought I'd provide some updates on where these young ladies went.

To close:
- Three home wins, three road wins so far in conference.  Can we keep it up?  SDSU will be our biggest challenge at home the rest of the way, we'll see how that one goes.  I think we can win the other 4 home games and have a good chance at 2 of the 4 remaining road games (at Denver and IPFW).  That would put us at 12-4 in the conference, which needless to say would be very impressive.  Can we do it?

Edited by BlueGold
  • Upvote 2

Very, very good summary of who we are and where we are, BlueGold. Jordan Doyle is the complete player--so good on offense and defense. I'm SO glad we have her! I'm also impressed with Esther--she is tough and aggressive and very confident on the floor. I hope we get a good crowd on Wed. night. This team DESERVES to be supported by everyone at ORU. 95% of them (ORU "fans") missed watching the amazing Vicky last season; I'd hate for them to miss this group this year.

I'm sorry, but when I hear that an athlete is going to try to play through a torn ACL, I don't see it as a good thing. When does that EVER work? Go get your surgery and get healthy for next year.

It's been a little confusing, what's been put out about Bria and her ACL.  First I read it was torn, then it was only partially torn, then on the Coaches' Show last night Misti said that it was sprained and not torn, so they're optimistic that Bria might be able to return as soon as next week.  I'm pretty sure Coach said next week.  She also said that Dorka should be ready to play more tomorrow.  

Technically, a sprain is sometimes described as 'partial' tear..... at least I have heard it mentioned that way.

Of course I am not a medical person.....

I just hope she heals quickly - whatever it is.

All sprains involve some tearing of the ligament, but a grade 1 doesn't involve the ligament separating. That's the ONLY way she'd be able to play effectively without surgery.

Should be a good game. SDSU is expected to be without junior center, Ober, who has missed the past 2 games with a finger injury. I was very surprised(and very happy) to see the Lady Golden Eagles knock off USD even though it was at the Mabee Center. The ORU women have really came out of no where during Summit play. The Jacks won't be taking this game lightly. The last time these 2 teams played against each other it was a dog fight in Sioux Falls. Expecting the same thing tomorrow night. 

PS, watch out for true freshman guard, Madison Guebert. She is a heck of a shooter and plays really good D for a true frosh. Guebert was highly recruited by P5 teams and is probably the one of the best, if not the best, recruit that the Jacks have landed since going D1. 

Still have to think the Rabbits are heavy favorites tonight and for the conference title.

That said, maybe we can steal one tonight and make the race interesting...

A victory tonight for ORU would be huge...it's a 3-way tie for first place at 6-1 between SD, SDSU and ORU.....we are the hottest team in the Summit with 6 wins in a row....but the Jacks are 16-4 overall and clearly the top team in the league...can ORU win?....sure, why not?....if the ladies play the way they have all month this could be 7 in a row.....this Golden Eagle team has a ton of heart and the will to play defense....GO  BLUE ORU!!!..B)

Thank you, BlueGold, for the informative update. Things happen; it's part of the business of college sports. I agree: focus on who's here, and move on. If the girls win tonight-and don't let it get to their heads, the next few weeks could be very fruitful.

a big test tonight for ORU's scrappy bunch....agree w/voice that SDSU is still a big favorite....i'd peg it at SDSU -13

ORU needs a game in the 50's and a poor shooting night from the Jacks to pull out a win

oh well....a 68-50 loss for ORU....but TheEagleman still loves the gold uniforms....;)