CBI Tournament

TrueBlue82

I couldn't help but note layers of irony in the CBI experience...

First, I find it ironic that mid-majors PLEAD for home games against other mid-majors during the regular season, and yet it appears that NO ONE wants to touch a home game with a ten-foot pole in this tourney.  Minutes after Loyola won their game at home on Tuesday night, the Ramblers tweeted that they would be the road team in the next round - and minutes after ORU's win over UCSB, Mike Carter announced that ORU would be traveling to Chicago.  I don't know the financial considerations or the negotiations that went on behind the scenes, but I just found the whole process of politicking to AVOID a home game intriguing.

I also found it interesting that it appears we not only walked away from a home game opportunity, we RAN.  Did we pay our way into the first game in order to be able to tell recruits that we've been to a post-season tournament X our of the last X years?  But, once we played had played in the post-season game, there was no more recruiting value in continuing to win in the tournament, so we'll save $ and go on the road?  It's really too bad, in that last Wednesday's game was among the best of the season - and I truly believe we knocked off the best team in tournament, and are now a serious contender to win this tourney.  With several more days of advanced preparation by fans and marketing staff, the positive momentum from a big win, and students coming back to campus after Spring Break with no significant homework after the first day of classes, I wouldn't have been surprised to see a lively crowd of 4-5,000 filling most of the yellow seats.  Instead, we have to take all that momentum on the plane to Chicago.

Finally, I find it ironic that the CBI tournament first round saw six home teams win - and those six teams will all play against another home winner in the quarter-finals.  (Vermont and Radford, both with road wins, will play each other in the other quarter-final).  But, in EACH case, the home team winner with the larger attendance at their game is TRAVELING for the second round.  From the standpoint of a sustainable business model, that is downright crazy!  ULM had the largest crowd of the first round, but will travel to Mercer.  ORU had more fans at Mabee on Wednesday than Loyola's first round game, and more showed up in Boulder for the Colorado game than in Seattle, but the Eagles and Buffs will both hit the road.  I just don't understand.

All said, the CBI experience has been a positive one - and I'm hopeful we can pull off another road win - and then watch another round of "don't even THINK about us hosting the next game"...

Another home game would have been nice for ORU....but perhaps it was the cost.....maybe ORU just doesn't have it in the budget....but maybe we can win in Chicago and come back home for a shot at the final series....Expect a Miracle!.... :nerd:

Sure, playing home games increases your chances of winning. But the fact is, there isn't enough prestige in winning the CBI (or CIT) for most schools to justify the expense of hosting those games

As for what attendance might've been on Monday night at the Mabee Center, it should be noted that TU is hosting Murray State that night in a high-profile NIT game on ESPN.

And who's to say that, once they learned their opponent was Loyola and not Rider, that maybe the ORU staff and/or team WANTED to go to a fun destination like Chicago to play in the next round?

Based on social media posts such as this, it appears they're having a good time in The Windy City:

Would it be a trip to Chicago without stopping to eat at Ditka's. #ORUMBB https://t.co/lb00Q5XEKy

— Kyan Brown (@KyanBrown)

March 22, 2015
  • Upvote 1

Great point by OT. Part of the fun of postseason (if you aren't a national championship contender - then it is all business) is that you get to go to fun places. Pretty sure players would much rather visit a cool spot than stay at home and play an opponent that isnt exactly exciting