IUPUI at ORU

BlueGold

We win 84-72 over the Jags.  Now 7-1 at the Mabee, 8-10 overall and 2-3 in the Summit.

Vicky McIntyre with another monster game- 21 pts, 22 reb, 4 assists, 5 blocks.  She's not the most nimble afoot at 6'7" but when she's around the basket she's a difference maker.  Has some nice moves to the rim and can throw up a soft hook that is very effective.  The Jags were so conscious of her on defense that when she got the ball down low she was able to throw it back out to an open teammate or bounce a pass to a teammate cutting to the basket, and it was a pleasure to see.  Defensively, she's a glass eater with some of the longest arms I've seen on a lady and she changes shots or alters them or makes them think thrice about taking them in the paint.  A difference maker.

Three others in double figures- Dorka Balla (18), Jordan Doyle (15) and Atoe Jackson (12).  

Doyle had five turnovers but played a team-high 36 minutes and had to deal with a full-court press for the entire game.  It was fun to watch her consistently break it and get the ball to her teammates.  She had six assists.

We shot 58% as a team for the game, 20 percentage points better than our season average coming in.

It was a good start to our three-game home stand.  Western Illinois comes in next, this Saturday afternoon.

Way to go, Eagles!!

Nice win for the ORU ladies.....maybe we can get a streak going at home and build some confidence for the road games..... :nerd:

McIntyre only had 5 blocks?

Honestly, I thought she had 5 in the first 10 minutes of the game. Or, it least it seemed that way...

As a point guard, Jordan has really grown up since earlier this season.  She's certainly more poised now.  She doesn't get flustered and stays in control.  She's physically strong, which has allowed her to play a lot of minutes and gain precious experience.  She also has a mindset to pass first but picks her spots to drive to the basket or take a three or an outside shot when it's open.  That is something that Misti has been telling her more of late.  During the coaches' show this past Monday, Misti mentioned that she's been reinforcing with Jordan the need to reduce her turnovers while finding other ways to help the team.  Stepping up offensively is one of those ways.

I think this team is starting to come together when they're on the court in the sense that they are beginning to understand the interplay between the players in the post, primarily Vicky, and the other players on the court, and when to get the ball inside and the timing of when to pass and when to shoot.

I thought it was great how we responded in the second half last night.  We built a 16-point lead less than five minutes into the half only to see the Jags go on a 13-0 run to cut our lead to three.  We responded, scoring the next five points to gain some of our spread back, then responded just about every time the Jags scored or went on a mini-run.  We'd get it to nine, they'd score, we'd respond and score, they'd score, we'd score, they got it to five a couple times and we responded by being patient in our offense and getting good shots and making them.  You shoot 58% from the field and go to the line 20 times by taking high percentage shots and open shots and going to the basket.

I also think that Vicky had more than 5 blocks.  She's had a couple of games at home where I thought she had more than she had on the stat sheet.  I'm also sure she has had more blocks in games on the road than what she's been given credit for.  Having been on stat crews before, I know that we as humans aren't perfect and are likely to miss something, or with blocks, what one person sees as one may not be what another person sees as one.

Just to note, Vicky has retaken the D-1 lead in rebounding at 15.2 per game after last night's 22-rebound effort.  She also leads D-1 in blocks per game (4.61) and is tied for the lead with 13 double-doubles.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be critical on the block shots.

She may have only had 5. It just FELT like she had 8-10.