First Summit win

BlueGold

We got it Thursday night, convincingly over a South Dakota team picked to finish second in the Summit this season and 11-3 coming in.  Final score, 81-65.  Guess where we played...

Yes, the Mabee Center continues to be very good to us.  Except for a rotten effort in a loss to Grand Canyon back in December, we're 6-0 at home.  The road, not good at all.  It's amazing how different a team we are at home compared to on the road.

Anyway, lots of good things happened in the win.  Double-doubles by Vicky McIntyre (no surprise) with 19pts, 14 reb and Faith Ihim (surprise, surprise) with 18 pts, 10 reb.  Vicky of course has been Miss Steady just about all season for us but Faith's play of late has been a revelation.  Five straight double-figure scoring games and now a starter after coming off the bench for the first dozen or so games.  She's always been an energy player and now she's playing more minutes and really contributing and energizing this team.  Sometimes it takes freshmen some time to adjust to the speed and physicality of the college game, and she's adjusted and is taking advantage of her natural abilities- her quickness and pace and her ability to jump and get up for a player her size (5'9").  I also like the fact that she's agressive in a good way, both offensively and defensively.  She goes to the basket and keeps the player guarding her off-balance because she can also shoot the 15-footer and make it regularly, and on defense she doesn't reach and just uses her speed and quickness and ability to jump to disrupt and rebound well for her height and build.

I've also been impressed with Jordan Doyle, who struggled with turnovers early on but is now pretty solid at the point.  She doesn't get as many assists as I'd like to see her get (yet) but she's been very steady with bringing the ball up, breaking the press and directing the flow of the offense.  In her last 7 games, she's played 231 minutes and has only 12 turnovers:

38 mins-2 TO vs South Dakota
34 mins-0 TO at Denver
37 mins-3 TO at NDSU
28 mins-2 TO vs St Gregory's
31 mins-1 TO at Wisconsin
38 mins-4 TO at Kansas State
25 mins-0 TO vs Grand Canyon

I'm seeing signs that this team is coming together.  More team play, better structure, and our young ones are learning and getting more and more experience and becoming better and more able to deal with adversity because of it.

After losing our first two Summit games last weekend on the road, it would've been disastrous to come home and lose to South Dakota and fall to 0-3 in the league.  I give the ladies and the coaches credit for taking care of business and protecting their house. 

It's on to IPFW this Sunday.  I'm looking forward to us winning a true road game for the first time in a long time.  Go Eagles!

Congrats to the ORU ladies on a very nice win over a good South Dakota squad....TheEagleman thinks that this team is starting to turn the corner....now let's get a win today at IPFW....GO BLUE!.... :clap: