ORU vs Austin Peay

BlueGold

We lead 31-25 at the half over Austin Peay.  Vicky McIntyre with a monster game so far- 20 pts, 20 rebs.

From listening it sounds like we made a conscious effort right from the start to get the ball inside and it's paid off with Vicky's production and good play from Carolina Lopez in the post.  And so far we've been better with the ball.  There hasn't been turnover after turnover on possession after possession like we've had in games this season.

Let's get this W.

Final- ORU 73, Austin Peay 60

Vicky McIntyre with 22 points and an ORU single-game record 27 rebounds.  Whenever she was in the game she was dominant, ex. Austin Peay's forwards picked up 12 fouls trying to guard her.  She potentially could have had an even better game but sat out for eight minutes of the second half after picking up her fourth foul with 11:56 left to play. 

Here's her stat line: 22 points (8-13 FG, 6-7 FT), 27 rebounds (7 off, 20 def), 2 assists, 4 blocks in 29 minutes

Dorka Balla with 14 points.  Detti Balla- 9, Jordan Doyle- 8.

We shot almost 46% overall and killed it from distance, going 8-17 (47%).  Defensively, we held APeay to 31% shooting and 25% from three.  We had a season-high 20 assists.

The coaches may have found something in the combinations they used in this game.  First, they started freshman Jayden Oliver and she played mostly at the point and had a really nice game and did a great job of taking care of the ball.  In 25 minutes she had four assists and only one turnover while chipping in on offense with two threes.  Second, we were really good when they went with the combination of Vicky and Carolina Lopez inside.  It was matchup heck for APeay.

It wasn't a true road win but it's our first win away from the Mabee Center since March 16, 2013 (a span of 23 road and neutral-site games) when we beat Sam Houston in the championship game of the Southland Tournament on a neutral court to earn our bid to the NCAAs.

We're 3-4 overall and have a three-game homestand with winnable games starting this Tuesday, Dec. 2nd when we host Southwestern Christian, an NAIA school out of Bethany, OK.  We follow that up with home games against Eastern Michigan (Dec. 6th) and Grand Canyon (Dec. 12th).

A nice win for our Eagles!!

Way to go, ORU ladies!.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice to see Vicky and the ORU ladies enjoy some success - they deserve it.

Double tough opening up with the likes of Baylor and Tennessee on the road:  you can't really work on the things you need to; you're just holding on for dear life.

November games are for working out the kinks and figuring out line-ups.  Hopefully the ladies are zeroing in on some things that will lead to more success down the road.

Carolina's been available for every game as far as I know.  She's gotten some minutes in 4 of the first 6 games, mostly mop-up late.  I think because Detti Balla was struggling, the coaches decided to throw her in there against Austin Peay and she did really well.  I think the coaches have thought all along, and probably still do, that in the grand scheme Detti will play better with Vicky, and that might still turn out to be correct, but sometimes when it's not working you try something different and it worked to our benefit in this game.

OT, I agree, the coaches have been trying to figure out what combinations are going to work best for us.  It's natural for them to do that and especially when you have a lot of new players like we do that they haven't seen play together until practice started, and of course that's not game speed or even like an actual game.  I think now they know that they can play Vicky and Carolina together for extended minutes, and that Jayden Oliver could be the solution at point guard.  I say could be because she is a freshman and has gotten one start at the point, so I'll reserve judgement until more games have been played and we see what happens.

Tomorrow's game is against an NAIA school, so if things go well for us and we get a nice lead the coaches could play everyone and see what combinations work or don't work.