Signing Day

BlueGold

Five players signed letters of intent today.  Two from Oklahoma, three internationals.

Ashley Beatty (5-9, Guard, Anadarko HS)- First Team All-State as a junior last season; averaged 21.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 3.6 apg

From the Tulsa World:  Gifted passer and scorer. Was part of 4A championship team as a freshman and led Warriors to brink of another title before Fort Gibson rallied to win in Oklahoma City this past March. Has 1,310 points in her first three seasons. "One of the state's best now and could be THE best with another year of improvement," her coach Jeff Zinn has said.

Anadarko guard Ashley Beatty (@ashley_beatty23) signs with @ORUAthletics women's basketball. #okpreps pic.twitter.com/0u0BXBsggl

— Tyler Palmateer (@Tpalmateer83)

November 12, 2014

Rylie Torrey (5-11, Guard, Locust Grove HS)- Honorable Mention All-State as a junior last season; averaged 15.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.5 apg, 48 percent from 3-point range; 2014 Oklahoma Wendy's Heisman state winner

Rylie Torrey has officially signed with ORU! Congrats Torrey!! @RylieLynne15 #okpreps @ORUWBB pic.twitter.com/rZNNpjVX1x

— LG Pirate Sports (@lgpiratesports)

November 12, 2014

Coach Cussen:  "We know that Ashley and Rylie are each going to bring a great deal of offensive fire power to our guards as well.â€

The international trio:

The pics were grabbed from the web.

Fruzsina Fejes (6-4, Center/PF, Miskolc, Hungary)- Fejes comes to ORU after winning a national championship with her 18-under team in Hungary. She was also named team MVP in 2011 and 2012 and helped the Hungarian national team to a second place finish in the European B-Division Championships.

Maria Martianez Vendrell (6-2, Forward, Tarragona, Spain)- Martianez Vendrell helped Siglo XXI win Spanish national championships in 2010 and 2011 while finishing second in 2009 and 2013. She was also part of the 19-under national team that finished second at the World Championships losing to the United States by just two points. She also earned Most Valuable Player honors at the 2010 and 2011, 18-under national tournament where she averaged 21 points and 18 rebounds per game.  She's in the red and gold of Spain in the picture below.

fad9bd6f3f47.jpg?v=20140629180449755

Tijana Raca (6-1, Forward, Thessaloniki, Greece)- Raca played at Aristoteleio College High where she helped her team win championships in 2013 and 2014. She was MVP of the 16-under European Championship in Gibraltar in 2012 while playing with the Cyprus women. She also plays for Paok in the Greece “A†Division where she won 18-under national championships in 2012 and 2013. Raca averaged16.8 points per game and 8.5 rebounds per game during the European Championships.

%7BA43EA1A5-B4DE-4916-A558-8CC610DB63FA%

Congrats and welcome to our new Golden Eagles!!
  • Upvote 1

BlueGold,

thanks so much for the info on the international players.   6'4", 6'2", and 6'1" ....wow.

• Upvote 1

This explains why Kyron Stokes (at the Courtside Countdown) said that we will be really good next year.

• Upvote 1

Their heights weren't listed in the release so I had to dig around to find them.  I took them from the most current pages on reputable sites like FIBA.  I wish that the release would have had a listing of the players somewhere, like at the bottom in a block that showed each of them by name, height, position, hometown and last school or club team, if that applied more relevantly.

I like the signings.  I think that anytime you can bring in players with international experience, especially players like these three that have played at continental tournaments and championships like the European Championships, it's a good thing.  The question you always have with international players is whether or not they can adapt to a different style of play and different rules in the college game, and whether or not they can adapt culturally.  Our volleyball coach Sheera Sirola has had a ton of international players over the years and in an interview earlier this season she said that it can take players that come from overseas at least a month, sometimes more, to start to feel a semblance of comfort with everything they have to adjust to.  And every player is different- some take less time, some more, so we'll see how these newcomers fare when they arrive on campus next May/June/July.  It would certainly help Fruzsina if Dorka comes back next year since they are both from Hungary.

We addressed our need for size for next season.  We're losing all of our bigs- Vicky McIntyre, Carolina Lopez and Detti Balla.  Overall we've signed five so far, replacing the five we're losing to graduation.  I'm still not sure about the statuses of KayKay Mayberry and Alexus Wilson, who were both removed from the roster after school started this fall.  I haven't been able to find out why.  Will they return next season?  If yes, great, because they would make us stronger at guard in terms of ability.  If they don't, we have two open scholarships that can be filled.  

I wonder if we're done signing players for next season?  We have through Nov. 19th to add others if we have that in our plans.  I wouldn't complain if Hailey Tucker from Bartlesville HS decided to become our sixth signing for next season. 

I also like the additions of Ashley and Rylie.  Even though they play at the 4A level in Oklahoma, they are both really good.  And tough.  We need players every season that bring that toughness.  This season I'm not so sure about us having enough of it after watching our two exhibitions.

Looking forward to us having a good season and I'm believing that the future is bright!  Go Eagles!!

• Upvote 1

WOW!!!...TheEagleman is impressed...if these girls can play....ORU might go from bottom to top in the Summit very soon.... :clap:

Bria Pitts will be transferring from the University of Arkansas to Oral Roberts this year,  she want be able to play this year but will be able to practice with the team in Januaary. 

• Upvote 1

Adding Bria would be a nice get for the program and hopefully provide her with the stability and/or happiness she seems to be seeking in transferring from Arkansas.  From what I've read about her online she seems like she could be a nice player.  One of the better players in Oklahoma coming out of high school.  I guess a concern would be that she tore an ACL three times during high school, most recently in February 2013.  Hopefully she's recovered or is well on her way to recovery.

Thanks for letting us know about Bria, buttons10.  And thanks to ORUalum for providing the link to her bio.

I saw an interesting article on new Arkansas WBB coach Jimmy Dykes and the UA program when I was looking for info on Bria.  AP ran a story, "Driven Dykes enjoying coaching return at Arkansas" within the last week that had a reference to Bria.  Here's the excerpt that caught my attention:

(Excerpt)

Despite being welcomed by his players, the accountability-driven Dykes has been tested in his first few months at his new job. He's down to nine scholarship players after two players - McKenzie Adams and Bria Pitts - left the program during the fall, and he admits the number of wins for the Razorbacks this season "could be all over the place."

Bria completed the season for Arkansas and with the Lord grace she should be fine and as for discipline and accountability she a very good young lady and even better person. i should know i'm her father, she always wanted to play for Misty and just wants to be close to home. Bria had no problem with Jimmy Dykes or anyone else in the program as a matter of fact this was the perfect chance for her to compete for a starting position, but she wants to be a Golden Eagle.

Thanks Buttons 10, it will be a pleasure having her as a Golden Eagle, and thank you Lord for her total and complete healing. When will the transfer take place?

She sounds like a wonderful addition to the program. Glad to have another ( we have two already) Broken Arrow player on the roster. I met one of them (Esther I think) at the pre season dinner. She was very cordial and respectful - a great representative of ORU. I am sure Bria will be as well. I know we can use her ball handling and outside shooting.

Buttons10 (Mr. Pitts), thanks for the additional updates.  

ORU's a great school and it's good that she'll be close to home like she wants to be.  That can mean a lot to a young person that not only has to deal with the stresses of college but also the additional responsibilities and inherent stresses with being a collegiate athlete.

We're looking forward to Bria being a Golden Eagle!

Thank You Blue Gold that means a great deal to her and our family she's really looking forward in joining the great staff and young ladies they have on the team. i think with such a young team the future looks bright. 

With the addition of Bria ORU's future is very bright. What a blessing to have this talent coming into the program for next year. As an ORU Grad, I wish all the very best in the future. :clap:

• 1 month later...

Uh....that's just about what TheEagleman said..... :*