WBB 69, Rockhurst 36 (Exhib.)

BlueGold

The effort was there in our first game of the season, a 69-36 exhibition win this afternoon over Rockhurst at the Mabee Center, but the game was what you'd expect from a first game of the season.  Lots of turnovers and players forcing shots early on and trying to do too much, which led to a lot of the turnovers and missed shots.

We fell behind 9-0 in the first 2:09 of the game but slowly battled back and asserted our size advantage to take a 32-22 lead into halftime.  In the second half we were somewhat smoother on offense and we stepped up our defense, holding Rockhurst to 15.4% shooting.

Redshirt senior center Vicky McIntyre played her first competitive game in 18 months and had a double-double with 14 points and 16 rebounds, in just 19 minutes.   She added three blocks and altered many other shots.

As a team, we outscored Rockhurst 42-6 in the paint and we drew enough fouls inside to go to the line 30 times.  This is the type of team we'll have this season, a team that lives in the paint and goes to the rim, not a perimeter-type team, according to Coach Cussen's comments in the post game press conference.

Our other true center, senior Carolina Lopez, also had a nice game with 11 points and six rebounds in just 15 minutes of playing time.  Our other double-figure scorer was sophomore Dorka Balla, with 11 points.

I was impressed with our speed and the effort.  Obviously 21 turnovers is too many.  There's work to be done, but it was only game one and we played all 12 available players so the minutes were split up and not indicative of what the playing time will be once the real season starts.

Our last exhibition game is next Saturday at 2pm against East Central at the Mabee Center.

We wore new unis, or at least they're new to me.  I like the ORAL ROBERTS lettering on the front and I really like the gold numbers with the blue trim.  The numbers on the back are also gold with blue trim, but larger.  Here's a picture with freshman Jayden Oliver wearing it that shows most of the front.

https://twitter.com/DfrostBeard/status/528680791509712897/photo/1

Congrats to the ORU ladies on the win.....Nice uniforms...... :clap: