Summit League TV Schedule

FargoBison

I have just been informed by a higher-up in the ORU Athletic Department that live broadcasts of Golden Eagle basketball games were pre-empted no less than four times last season by Fox College Sports.

Did anyone else on here know that?

That's a huge factor to take into account when considering whether or not to continue with FCS:  if they can't guarantee they are going to broadcast the games, then why have an "agreement" with them in the first place?

Frankly, if Bad Blood (or anyone else) had pointed that fact out right off the top, I would have probably accepted the fact ESPN3 is the lesser of two evils.

Two things - 

First, I would hope that a super fan like yourself, one that constantly dogs on the poor attendance at the Mabee Center, would be AT THE GAME and not at home watching it, be it on ESPN3, cable or any other outlet. These are HOME games that we're talking about, and you of all people should be at ALL of them if you're in town and free to watch television. If you're going to write a check with your mouth about sagging attendance, then cash it with your butt and GO TO THE GAMES.

Second, this does not take an industrial strength internet signal to watch. Anyone with 6 mbps of download speed on their connection (and this should be everyone) should not experience regular outages on any ESPN3 broadcast, or any internet stream period.

There are exceptions to the above statement. Trying to stream multiple events, using a computer that does not have the proper Flash updates or using a computer infected with viruses/malware would obviously cause a user to experience dropping, but those are what I like to call "YOU problems"

Just lost all credibility:  I've only been coming to 90% of home games since, oh, I don't know - THE MABEE CENTER WAS BUILT.

Forgive me for noticing from my perch in Section D that Sections J-K-L-M are PRACTICALLY EMPTY THESE DAYS - LOOKS GREAT ON THAT SECOND-SCREEN EXPERIENCE.

For crying out loud, at one time I actually worked in season ticket sales at ORU - you think I don't have a vested interest in seeing more "butts in the seats"??

Go back to quoting the ESPN3 sales brochure - you almost sounded believable then...

OT, I am not saying that watching 10 games on ESPN3 is better than 10 games on cable. I am saying 14 games on ESPN3 is better than 4 cable games (only 1 of which might be nationally televised).

I JUST WANT TO WATCH ORU BASKETBALL!!!!! I DON'T CARE HOW I GET IT. I JUST WANT IT!!!!!!

Geez, what a waste of time.

Until this program returns to the NCAA tournament, this argument is tantamount to how best arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Happy viewing to everybody, everywhere:  I hope you all feel "engaged"... |(

I have just been informed by a higher-up in the ORU Athletic Department that live broadcasts of Golden Eagle basketball games were pre-empted no less than four times last season by Fox College Sports.

Did anyone else on here know that?

That's a huge factor to take into account when considering whether or not to continue with FCS:  if they can't guarantee they are going to broadcast the games, then why have an "agreement" with them in the first place?

Frankly, if Bad Blood (or anyone else) had pointed that fact out right off the top, I would have probably accepted the fact ESPN3 is the lesser of two evils.

Just lost all credibility:  I've only been coming to 90% of home games since, oh, I don't know - THE MABEE CENTER WAS BUILT.

Forgive me for noticing from my perch in Section D that Sections J-K-L-M are PRACTICALLY EMPTY THESE DAYS - LOOKS GREAT ON THAT SECOND-SCREEN EXPERIENCE.

For crying out loud, at one time I actually worked in season ticket sales at ORU - you think I don't have a vested interest in seeing more "butts in the seats"??

Go back to quoting the ESPN3 sales brochure - you almost sounded believable then...

If you come to all of the home games, why do you care so much what channel the games are on at all? And why would you need to come after me or anyone else when you lose your connection? You won't need a connection. 

Have never cared much about agreeing with the masses - have always enjoyed reaching my own conclusions.

But, since you seem to have all the answers, MAYBE YOU CAN CLUE AN IDIOT LIKE ME IN ON HOW I'M SUPPOSED TO SET MY DVR TO RECORD A FREAKING WEBCAST.

Bottom line:  ORU basketball is not on live television anymore. 

Spin it all you want; that fact is a step backward.

Games are still tape delayed on GEB and KGEB so go crazy with your DVR!!!

• Upvote 1

Geez, what a waste of time.

Until this program returns to the NCAA tournament, this argument is tantamount to how best arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Happy viewing to everybody, everywhere:  I hope you all feel "engaged"... |(

I like how you can rant and rave all day long about pointless stuff but as soon as someone else call you out it is "Geez, what a waste of time...and...this argument is tantamount to how best arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic."

aka...I'm taking my kickball and going home.

I like how you can rant and rave all day long about pointless stuff but as soon as someone else call you out it is "Geez, what a waste of time...and...this argument is tantamount to how best arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic."

This from the dog who just entered the fight?

I'm right here, dude - bring it.

But, this whole "Webcast vs. Broadcast" debate has reached the point of tedium.

Time to "rant and rave all day long" about something else.

Bingo. He did something similar on the "Big News" thread when the news came out and most folks were pro-ESPN3. He posted a completely off-topic campus video of Obi and tried to change the subject.

Bingo. He did something similar on the "Big News" thread when the news came out and most folks were pro-ESPN3. He posted a completely off-topic campus video of Obi and tried to change the subject.

Because some times it feels completely pointless to argue with someone like you with a personal agenda and suspect motives.

Nevertheless, would love the opportunity for a genuine face-to-face meeting any time you feel up to the challenge.

Send me a Message (the little envelope at the top of the page) so we can work out the details.

Looking forward to it!

Because some times it feels completely pointless to argue with someone like you with a personal agenda and suspect motives.

Nevertheless, would love the opportunity for a genuine face-to-face meeting any time you feel up to the challenge.

Send me a Message (the little envelope at the top of the page) so we can work out the details.

Looking forward to it!

Up to the challenge? Do you want to meet me by the flag pole or something? Settle down.

I'm not really sure what personal attacks you speak of. The worst I can recollect is suggesting that you might not attend all the home games. Which is fair, considering that you're bent out of shape over home game telecasts, something that really only concerns you if you... don't.. go... to home games...

Do you want to meet me by the flag pole or something?

That's exactly what I want to do, but I would settle for a spirited debate over lunch.

Even better:  how about you posting something original on here, as opposed to just cracking on me? 

Start a topic for once (you never have, after 3 years of membership and over 60 posts).

Bring something relevant and interesting that everyone can sink their teeth into.

Initiate a conversation from scratch, for a change. 

You seem to have all the insider information; please:  enlighten us.

Or, you can just continue to be a classic example of a "troll":  one who simply lies in the weeds, waiting to criticize those who make legitimate efforts to stimulate discussion.

I wonder which challenge you find more daunting?

Trolls are people that don't attempt to add anything enlightening to a conversation; they only exist to annoy.

I'm pretty sure that if you go back and read my posts, you'll see that I have added lots of pertinent information. YOU don't agree with it, and that's ok, I do respect that. But I am not trolling. I have added plenty of relevant content.

It might annoy YOU, but it is valuable to the conversation at hand.

If anyone is trolling, it is yourself. You seem to only recognize (and in some cases create) the negative aspects of everything related to ORU athletics. New conference? Negative. New television provider? Negative. Big news item? Negative. 

You are literally never happy about anything that happens with your favorite team, and you love nothing more than to talk about it.

THAT is trolling. 

LOL - Boy, you really DON'T know me, do you?

And here I thought you did!

Whatever, dude...

Never going to apologize for holding ORU to higher standards.

Call it negative if you want, but I've seen ORU Basketball when things were stronger in a LOT of areas (wins and losses, national prominence, recruiting, attendance, scheduling, facilities, etc.), and it's frustrating at times to see ORU falling short, and wondering if the right strings are being pulled to rectify the situation.

For the record:  as far as being "negative about the new conference" I applauded the move to the Southland (documented all over this message board), and after two sub-par years across the board in athletics, was actually OK with returning to the Summit League.  I do think it looks a little squirrely to make two changes in four years, but c'mon:  where's the "negative" there?

Secondly, the "new television provider" and the "big news item" were one and the same, and were neither "television" nor "big news":  the press release about the ESPN3 webcast deal was not picked up by The Tulsa World, any local network television affiliate, or even the Summit League website or social media accounts.

Wouldn't "big news" qualify for passing mention on at least ONE of those outlets?

Or, am I just being "negative"?

Also for the record:  I have, in just the past few weeks, written what I think could be considered very "positive" posts in this very forum about this year's schedule (tough, but awesome), the "Around the Summit League" show (very well done), our fall recruiting class (killing it), Obi Emegano (grown man), the new arena in Sioux Falls (first class), etc.

How many of those posts did you choose to comment on? 

How many of those did you recall before your last post?  Or, for that matter, even read?

What have YOU written lately about the coming season, other than the ESPN3 company-line stuff?

How many times have you merely posted on this forum just to disagree with me or someone else?

Don't bother answering; rhetorical questions....I think it's pretty obvious you only consider people as "negative" when they disagree with your agenda.

Otherwise, I get the distinct feeling you really don't care what's said on here...

This is ridiculously personal for no reason. Bad Blood while I align with your viewpoint of the obvious advantages of ESPN3 vs a low visibility cable channel, OT is arguably the best and most insightful contributor to this board. The board is better because OT is on it.

This is ridiculously personal for no reason. Bad Blood while I align with your viewpoint of the obvious advantages of ESPN3 vs a low visibility cable channel, OT is arguably the best and most prolific contributor to this board. The board is better because OT is on it.

Maybe so, but he has a very low tolerance for people disagreeing with his opinion. Apparently any disagreement is personal...

BB, my initial reaction was that the ESPN 3 deal is not as good as the (satellite) television package we had - but I think I can see the benefits of availability on the internet. As long as we promote it to alums and other fans so that they know it is there. Not sure that will happen.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this. I assume you are somehow attached to the decision or decision makers somehow. Promoting this as 'huge' news was a bit of hyperbole and was not promoted in the right way. As OT said, none of the local or conference media even mentioned it. It's (arguably) a nice upgrade, but just a piece of the puzzle. And it needs to be known by our fan base/alums.

The key is the product on the floor - and the results on the scoreboard. It also would help to dress up the atmospherics (fill in the empty seats in the camera angles).

I've got nothing to do with the decision and I found out about it when everyone else on the board did. I don't have a chip on my shoulder about it, but it bugs me that someone would go out of their way to belittle an obvious improvement simply because they themselves aren't comfortable with modern, commonly-used technology.

Also, about the huge news this... In between the first tweet about the "huge" news and the actual ESPN3 announcement, I think we generated eight pages of content on the message board in the "Big News?" thread. Eight pages of fan discussion in the middle of September. 

Did the local paper pick it up? No, but they didn't pick up many releases for several months when there was no ORU beat writer.

So how would YOU have promoted it in a way that would have generated eight pages of fan message board discussion?

• Upvote 1

it bugs me that someone would go out of their way to belittle an obvious improvement simply because they themselves aren't comfortable with modern, commonly-used technology.

*sigh*

This is just silly, and the furthest thing from the truth.

Look, I have a WatchESPN account; I've used it dozens of times on my iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad AND iPhone to watch college football and basketball, the College World Series, World Cup soccer, etc. 

I've also viewed live streaming from a host of other internet sources, including FoxSports.com (NCAA football), CBSSports.com (NCAA basketball), Masters.org (The Masters golf tournament), even SkySports (Virgin Broadcasting stream of NFL Red Zone - the Brits' analysis is actually pretty good).

And, I watch some of them on my flat screen digital TV, using my AppleTV interface.

So, spare me the "Get-with-the-times-Grampa" crap.

It is, in fact, BECAUSE of my familiarity with live streaming that I am skeptical of your so-called "modern, commonly-used technology" as a substitute for digital cable broadcasts.

It's cumbersome to sign-in to live streaming sites, even with an existing account.  The stream can freeze for no good reason on occasion while buffering.  It fades in and out of HD quality unexpectedly.  You can't record it, rewind it, pause it, etc. during the live stream (and, for the record, ESPN only archives games for apparently 30 days, not "forever").

And that's with even the best high-speed internet from Cox - trying to view an event via WiFi or with a 3G signal on a mobile device is often an exercise in futility, culminating in an "audio only" signal because the video won't/can't load.

Live streaming, in its current technological state, is simply a poor substitute for a digital cable broadcast.  It's like comparing a 2-megapixel cellphone photo to one taken with a professional Nikon camera, or an MP3 audio file compared to a high-quality stereo analog recording.  Digital media technology may seem "convenient", but we are all sacrificing quality in the trade-off.

And, anyone else who has tried live streaming of sporting events as much as I have knows exactly what I'm talking about.  I seriously question how much practical experience some of the "live streaming sunshine-pumpers" actually have in using the medium.

I suppose live streaming will have to suffice for this season - it should be interesting to look back in March to evaluate its performance on many levels.