Summit League TV Schedule

FargoBison

This is a perfect example of why it's superior to cable. We're going to see more ORU in conference road games because of ESPN. How many were did we see on tv before... 1? Maybe 2 when Oakland was in the league? We get 5 this year.

Yeah - trying to convince myself that's a good thing vs. cable broadcasts instead...

What you can't seem to understand is that all cable is not equal. What ORU basically did was trade a bottom-tier cable channel for top-of-the-line streaming. It's clearly an upgrade.

There's no question that ESPN3-only is not better than being on an upper- (ESPN and ESPN2) or mid-tier (ESPNU, NBCSN, ESPNNews, FS1, FS regional affiliates) cable TV channel.

Fox College Sports is the bottom rung of cable TV sports channels. Close to half of cable subscribers don't have access to it through their provider, and those that do have to purchase a premium sports tier to receive it. Once they have it, it never occupies a good channel number and it never receives advertising or quality events. It's a forgotten channel.

ESPN3 is the best streaming service available. It ensures that ORU games will be seen on the same schedules and menus as the best college basketball games in the country. It's accessible to anyone with a basic cable subscription. It can be viewed on hundreds of devices (including traditional TVs with the $50 investment in a Chromecast or Roku. And it can be viewed while on the go or at a different game.

It's clearly a better option and pretty much everyone but you sees it.

eagerly awating OT's response.

George-Costanza.gif

Yeah - trying to convince myself that's a good thing vs. cable broadcasts instead...

Well it would be a good thing if I had access to it. 

The twenty somethings and maybe early thirty somethings may be more familiar with the steps necessary to watch ESPN3.  I know that I can't watch it unless I provide information about my cable provider that ends up leading to me having to establish an online account through my cable provider's site.  There are extra steps there that make it a hassle.  For me it isn't as easy as simply going to espn3.com and watching the game.

Unfortunately, most of the twenty somethings don't seem to care about college basketball.  So I'm not sure if there really is the perceived benefit that you suggest, except that now recruits will like the idea that their family won't have to get DirectTV in order to watch the games, so anything that helps recruiting sounds like a good thing to me.

However, if I can pick up the remote and do a "smart search" for ORU basketball, and my program guide through my cable provider lists the games that I will be able to view, that seems like the more accessible route in my world.  Perhaps I simply need to check into Roku and move into the 21st century.  However, I think a lot of sports fans who are interested in ORU basketball might be more like me. 

Fair enough, but a business can't make decisions based on customers that are unwilling to embrace newer technology. Those business get left behind in all sectors.

In your case, a $50 purchase of a Roku and 10 minutes spent establishing an online login with your cable provider would be wise investments, and would open up a tremendous amount of content (not just ORU) that you currently can't access.

• Upvote 1

I am a little older, but I am really excited that we made the move to ESPN3.  My kids set-up the account for free through Comcast (my local cable) in less than 5 minutes.  With Chromecast or with one of my kids x-box I can watch all ESPN3 games on the big screen.  I really love it.  Comcast did not offer Fox College Sports unless I wanted to pay for some funky premium package that I would otherwise not use.  So what I did was pay the monthly amount and watched our games on the internet through the University's website.  One of my other alma maters offers their games on ESPN3 when they are not broadcast on another channel and sometimes even when they are.  My point is for football I will watch their games on ESPN3 and will surf the other games going on at the same time.  For those of us who live a great distance from Tulsa (about 1,000 miles for me) I view this move as a gift.

GO GOLDEN EAGLES! 

• Upvote 1

What you can't seem to understand is that all cable is not equal. What ORU basically did was trade a bottom-tier cable channel for top-of-the-line streaming. It's clearly an upgrade.

There's no question that ESPN3-only is not better than being on an upper- (ESPN and ESPN2) or mid-tier (ESPNU, NBCSN, ESPNNews, FS1, FS regional affiliates) cable TV channel.

Fox College Sports is the bottom rung of cable TV sports channels. Close to half of cable subscribers don't have access to it through their provider, and those that do have to purchase a premium sports tier to receive it. Once they have it, it never occupies a good channel number and it never receives advertising or quality events. It's a forgotten channel.

ESPN3 is the best streaming service available. It ensures that ORU games will be seen on the same schedules and menus as the best college basketball games in the country. It's accessible to anyone with a basic cable subscription. It can be viewed on hundreds of devices (including traditional TVs with the $50 investment in a Chromecast or Roku. And it can be viewed while on the go or at a different game.

Have never cared much about agreeing with the masses - have always enjoyed reaching my own conclusions.

But, since you seem to have all the answers, MAYBE YOU CAN CLUE AN IDIOT LIKE ME IN ON HOW I'M SUPPOSED TO SET MY DVR TO RECORD A FREAKING WEBCAST.

Bottom line:  ORU basketball is not on live television anymore. 

Spin it all you want; that fact is a step backward.

• Upvote 1

The twenty somethings and maybe early thirty somethings may be more familiar with the steps necessary to watch ESPN3.  I know that I can't watch it unless I provide information about my cable provider that ends up leading to me having to establish an online account through my cable provider's site.  There are extra steps there that make it a hassle.  For me it isn't as easy as simply going to espn3.com and watching the game.

Unfortunately, most of the twenty somethings don't seem to care about college basketball.  So I'm not sure if there really is the perceived benefit that you suggest, except that now recruits will like the idea that their family won't have to get DirectTV in order to watch the games, so anything that helps recruiting sounds like a good thing to me.

However, if I can pick up the remote and do a "smart search" for ORU basketball, and my program guide through my cable provider lists the games that I will be able to view, that seems like the more accessible route in my world.  Perhaps I simply need to check into Roku and move into the 21st century.  However, I think a lot of sports fans who are interested in ORU basketball might be more like me. 

THIS.   :@

OT, I feel like this is in no way a bad thing. ORU is now MUCH more accessible for those who want to watch them. If it takes a little more effort for you old farts, so be it. I am sure your parents were saying the same thing about the "bunny ears" back in the day and your response was probably..."I don't care if it is more work, I am just so glad I get to see my Titans."

The only difference is.... this isn't more work and your arms won't get tired.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I keep hearing about how this takes so much more work... How? Literally everyone on here already has a device that streams ESPN3 (if you didn't, you couldn't access this website) and setting up an online account with your existing cable provider takes 10 minutes.

Sorry about those 10 minutes you're going to lose, OT. I mean, that's 10 minutes you could have spent belly-aching about progress! Such a shame.

You don't need a DVR. The archive of every ESPN3 broadcast is available 15 minutes after the telecast.

For how long?  About 72 hours, right? 

Epic.

OT, I feel like this is in no way a bad thing. ORU is now MUCH more accessible for those who want to watch them. If it takes a little more effort for you old farts, so be it. I am sure your parents were saying the same thing about the "bunny ears" back in the day and your response was probably..."I don't care if it is more work, I am just so glad I get to see my Titans."

The only difference is.... this isn't more work and your arms won't get tired.

I challenge you or anyone else to find 50+ types who are more adept at the nuances of live streaming than me, ORUTerry, etc.

My clothes and hairline may acream "old fart", but when it comes to the internets, I can hang with any Millenial.

AND THE FIRST TIME THAT WEBCAST FREEZES UP IN CYBERSPACE, I'M COMING ON HERE LOOKING FOR YOU, BAD BLOOD, ETC. FOR AN EXPLANATION AS TO WHY THIS IS BETTER THAN CABLE.

And I put the over/under on that first occurance at roughly ten minutes into the first "broadcast".

I challenge you or anyone else to find 50+ types who are more adept at the nuances of live streaming than me, ORYTerry, etc.

My clothes and hairline may acream "old fart", but when it comes to the internets, I can hang with any Millenial.

AND THE FIRST TIME THAT WEBCAST FREEZES UP IN CYBERSPACE, I'M COMING ON HERE LOOKING FOR YOU, BAD BLOOD, ETC. FOR AN EXPLANATION AS TO WHY THIS IS BETTER THAN CABLE.

And I put the over/under on that first occurance at roughly ten minutes into the first "broadcast".

Two things - 

First, I would hope that a super fan like yourself, one that constantly dogs on the poor attendance at the Mabee Center, would be AT THE GAME and not at home watching it, be it on ESPN3, cable or any other outlet. These are HOME games that we're talking about, and you of all people should be at ALL of them if you're in town and free to watch television. If you're going to write a check with your mouth about sagging attendance, then cash it with your butt and GO TO THE GAMES.

Second, this does not take an industrial strength internet signal to watch. Anyone with 6 mbps of download speed on their connection (and this should be everyone) should not experience regular outages on any ESPN3 broadcast, or any internet stream period.

There are exceptions to the above statement. Trying to stream multiple events, using a computer that does not have the proper Flash updates or using a computer infected with viruses/malware would obviously cause a user to experience dropping, but those are what I like to call "YOU problems"