ORUVB 3, NDSU 1

BlueGold

It didn't look too good after a first-set shellacking but the ORU volleyball ladies put it together in the next three sets to claim a 3-1 win (17-25, 25-13, 25-22, 25-13) over North Dakota State today at the Aerobics Center.  

Excellent matches from:
Senior Sara Pope- Hit .459 (team-high 20 kills, only 3 errors in 37 attempts); 8 digs; 3 blocks
Sophomore Nika Mostahinic- Came off the bench and replaced Laura Milos, who may have been sick and left the match early in the first set, and had a double-double with 15 kills (hitting .273) and a team-best 15 digs
Sophomore McKenna Qualls- Also had a double-double with 13 kills (hitting .276) and 12 digs; added three services aces
Freshman Lucija Bojanjac- ORU's floor general had a match-high 47 assists (11.75 per set) while chipping in with a kill, two service aces and four digs
Freshman Shelby Cox- Six kills and a team-high 4 blocks

We outhit the Bison .293 to .136, and our .293 hitting percentage included the first set when we had more errors than kills, hitting a negative .043.  We also won the blocking battle 10-9.  It was only the sixth time in 19 matches that we've had more blocks than our opponent.

Down one set to none, we fell behind 6-3 to start the second set but rallied, and after cutting the Bison lead to 7-5 we scored six straight points on the strength of Lucija Bojanjac's serve to take control of the set and win it going away.  In the third set we went up by as many as seven points at 15-8 but the Bison rallied and eventually tied the set at 19-all, then took leads at 21-20 and 22-21 before we rallied, tying it at 22-all on a Nika Mostahinic kill and finishing the set off with points on a combined block by Sara Pope and Caroline Arnould and consective kills by Pope and Arnould.  We opened the scoring in set four and never trailed, winning on a kill for match point by Mostahinic.

Our record is now 9-10 overall and 3-3 in the Summit.

Here's the post-match interview with Blake Freeland and Coach Sirola.  In my last post last Friday after the IPFW match I mentioned that I didn't think that Laura Milos was 'right,' and they have a brief discussion about her that begins at around the 27-second mark that seems to infer that she's been sick off and on and just isn't herself.  For those that don't know, Milos, a freshman, has been ORU's leader offensively on the attack this season and is in the NCAA top-25 in five hitting and attack-related categories, so her issues with not playing like she was earlier in the season have been and will continue to be very important for us.

http://youtu.be/wwmIG3h6G2s

Next up:  A two-match road trip to Omaha and Western Illinois next Friday and Sunday.

Nice match Eagles!!

Happy to do it.  Takes me back to the days when I used to write game stories for a living.