ORU Picked 7th In Summit Poll

Old Titan

The league coaches and media relations people haven't seen us in a couple of years so I'm not surprised.  Honestly, I'm optimistic about this team based on the holdover talent and the group of newcomers we've added, but there are a lot of unknowns.  You never know how well and how quickly our prep players will make the transition from high school to collegiate competition, and our redshirt transfer Vicky McIntyre hasn't played in a game in almost a season and a half.

I don't think this team needs a whole lot more motivation.  The returnees are still smarting from last season's less-than-stellar record and I'm sure are itching to hit the court for real, looking for redemption.  They should be motivated by a challenging non-conference schedule with the likes of Baylor, Tennessee, Tulsa, Kansas State and Wisconsin.  It's got to be pretty cool to know that you are playing those types of teams and have a chance to do something special against them.  I've followed a few of the players, mostly the newcomers, on social media throughout the summer and preseason and they're all fired up and ready for ORU women's basketball to 'shock the world.'

Go Eagles!!

Me too, OT.  By the time conference play rolls around I'm hoping we'll be playing like a well-oiled machine.  Onward and upward!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what happened to KayKay Mayberry?  She isn't on the roster, but she is mentioned as one of two returning starters in our press release for the 2014-15 schedule on July 14.  She is also in a team picture dated July 18, so something must have happened between then and now.  Any word??

I started a post about KayKay's disappearance from the roster back in mid-September when I noticed it.  I mentioned in my post that she'd been on the roster up until that point, had been practicing with the team since the first day in late July, and went to Costa Rica with the team in early August.  She didn't play in the two games we played there though, and I thought that was strange.  I figured maybe she was injured.  Then I noticed she wasn't anywhere to be found when the team had their picture day and when they participated as a team in the Walk for Alzheimer's, both in late August.  And then she was off the roster in mid-September, which seemed odd, and that prompted my post 'Where is Kaylan Mayberry?' on Sept. 16th.

She's listed as one of our four starters lost in the quick facts/prospectus posted on the WBB page on the athletics website.  I've checked Twitter and seen some tweets between her and some of the other players but nothing comes right out and explains why she's not on the team any longer.

It's a loss for us.  She was the leading returning scorer and had some nice games last season.

Sorry I can't say why.  I'd really like to know myself.

in the summit league call, Coach Cussen mentioned she has only one sophomore.

no more Alexus Wilson on the roster either.  she and Mayberry were touted last year as the backcourt for the next four years.

along with Beard's acl, that is three big losses to the team before the season even starts.

I didn't even notice that Alexus was off of the roster, must have happened recently like in the last day or two.  I check the roster pretty much every day at least once, usually in the late evening, and since school started I've held my breath when doing so since there's been some turnover.  Christina Rupp was on it all summer, I believe she was a walk-on, then she was removed a week or so after school began.  Not sure why.  Then KayKay Mayberry, gone in mid-September, and now Alexus.  Not sure why.

Alexus is not in the team introduction photo posted on the WBB Twitter page from last night's Courtside Countdown event, but she's still in the team photo on the header on the WBB Twitter, fifth from the left in the first row.   KayKay is not in the header photo, which was taken around the third week in August when they did all of the player and team pics.

Backcourt now?  I'm predicting a combination of Atoe Jackson, Jayden Oliver and Jordan Doyle.  Not sure who the starters will end up being.  Of the three I think Doyle will likely play mostly at the point.  Jordan Gilbert is listed as a guard but she's 5-10, and with the loss of Jasauen she may see more time at small forward.

First game is this Saturday, an exhibition against Rockhurst, so things are getting ready to start shaking out.

that call was Oct 15 when she said she had one sophomore (Dorka Balla) and all freshmen and seniors.  so it's been at least a couple of weeks ago.

the freshman class from last year:

Balla

Mayberry (???)

Matlock (never suited up)

Ogden (never suited up)

Wilson (???)

barring redshirts for some reason of Mayberry and Wilson, that's just 1 for 5 only a year later. 

Definitely not a good retention percentage.  I don't see a reason to redshirt KayKay and Alexus unless they are hurt.  KayKay was our leading returning scorer and Alexus showed promise at times last season.  I'm not a coach though and maybe there would be another reason or reasons.

Matlock was enrolled at ORU last Fall.  I was never able to find out why she never played.  Ogden got hurt during preseason practice, never played then transferred to Texas Southern.  She's listed as a freshman on their website.

I emailed Rob Walden last spring, after the season ended, and asked about what happened to Matlock and Ogden, figuring what the heck.  He gave a professional answer, basically telling me not to ask, that it would be unprofessional for him to answer.  He also said in so many words that any news the Athletic Dept wants to share they will post on the Athletics website.  I guess if they don't, well, go find it yourself.  After thinking about it, I guess I understood, but I still wonder why certain things are treated like secrets to be taken to the grave.

Here's hoping this year's freshies are as good as advertised and stick around.

also forgot Jaervikangas from last year.

previous freshmen classes:

Balla

Mayberry (???)

Matlock (never suited up)

Ogden (never suited up)

Wilson (???)

Jaervikangas (back to europe)

Cooper

Velkey

Achilefu

Gade

Balla

Miles

Scrivner

Ieva

Daniels (not sure if she was walk-on or scholarship)

Key

Carver

Cergol

just let that sink in.  if the past few years is any indicator, most of this year's freshmen class will not stick around. not what i'd call a good batting average.