2014: ORU vs TU

SOLO_Gold

“I feel like coming into the season, they look forward to this game more than we do,” Tulsa forward D’Andre Wright said. “I feel like that they have it circled on their schedule that they want to beat us and we kind of look at them as another nonconference game.”

Nice. Translation: "Some of the games on our schedule we don't circle, because, we really don't want to win those."

Huh?

What it really looked like was TU didn't have any athletes. TU couldn't stop any of ORU's guards from getting to the rim. I don't see them having very much success in their conference with players like Woodard who just throw up a bunch of shots.

I was impressed with Owens. He held his own and did not appear intimidated. That young man has an enormous amount of upside. However, he is still a diamond in the rough.

I was impressed with Owens. He held his own and did not appear intimidated. That young man has an enormous amount of upside. However, he is still a diamond in the rough.

That was my impression of him in the exhibition games.

Owens is a very intelligent young man and will acclimate to the game. He has nice size and decent offensive skills. Needs to work on his defense - but what freshman doesn't?

Owens was hanging out with all the alumni on the floor after the game, shaking hands and posing for pictures. I talked with him for a minute, and in my best "Least Interesting Man In The World" impression, I urged him to "Play angry, my friend". He have me a courtesy chuckle and nodded his head - I doubt that's anything different than what he's hearing from every coach in practice.

He sure seemed to be having a great time milling about - hope he realizes we don't have cake and punch on the floor after EVERY game!

Great effort by everyone last night - a very encouraging start to the season. We look a lot quicker, stronger, and more athletic than we have for years. I was particularly impressed by Owens. I thought his 4 minute stretch early in the second half was the key to getting us back in control. TU had just taken the lead, all our other big men were in foul trouble (and eventually fouled out), and it was looking like TU could just go to the basket and either score or foul all our bigs out. The announcers were talking about a battle of attrition and how TU should pound it inside. Then Albert came in with 5 fresh fouls, took the middle of the zone, and established an inside presence (Henderson had some nice defensive plays in there too. Albert's offensive rebound and putback (with two TU bigs contesting) was the play of the game for me.  Look at this sequence, where we went from down 1 and in trouble to up 7 and in control for the rest of the game (of course, Word's threes helped a bit also!):

14:06   36-37 Albert Owens made Jumper. Assisted by Obi Emegano. 13:43 D'Andre Wright missed Jumper. 36-37   13:43 Keondre Dew Offensive Rebound. 36-37   13:40 Keondre Dew missed Layup. 36-37   13:40   36-37 Denell Henderson Block. 13:38 Marquel Curtis Offensive Rebound. 36-37   13:34 James Woodard missed Three Point Jumper. 36-37   13:34   36-37 Denell Henderson Defensive Rebound. 13:28 Foul on Marquel Curtis. 36-37   13:11   36-37 Korey Billbury missed Jumper. 13:11   36-37 Denell Henderson Offensive Rebound. 13:05   36-37 Dederick Lee missed Three Point Jumper. 13:05 Marquel Curtis Defensive Rebound. 36-37   12:58 D'Andre Wright missed Layup. 36-37   12:58   36-37 Denell Henderson Defensive Rebound. 12:48   36-37 Korey Billbury missed Layup. 12:48 Marquel Curtis Defensive Rebound. 36-37   12:41   36-37 Foul on Obi Emegano. 12:41 Marquel Curtis missed Free Throw. 36-37   12:41 Brandon Swannegan Offensive Rebound. 36-37   12:34 Brandon Swannegan missed Layup. 36-37   12:34   36-37 Albert Owens Block. 12:29   36-37 Bobby Word Defensive Rebound. 12:17 Foul on Rashad Ray. 36-37   12:05   36-40 Bobby Word made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Adrion Webber. 11:56 Rashad Ray missed Three Point Jumper. 36-40   11:56   36-40 Obi Emegano Defensive Rebound. 11:31   36-43 Bobby Word made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Obi Emegano. 11:14 Brandon Swannegan missed Jumper. 36-43   11:14 Keondre Dew Offensive Rebound. 36-43   11:07 Marquel Curtis made Layup. 38-43   11:02 Tulsa Timeout 10:41   38-43 Adrion Webber missed Three Point Jumper. 10:41   38-43 Albert Owens Offensive Rebound. 10:36   38-45 Albert Owens made Layup.

How embarrassed must the Tiger faithful be to have their beloved black and gold lose to UMKC?....ouch!..... :nerd:

No kidding, not many teams have lost to UMKC recently and that has to be a real blow to Missouri.

Hopefully the Tigers will whip Valpo today and feel better about themselves before ORU comes to town.

No kidding, not many teams have lost to UMKC recently and that has to be a real blow to Missouri.

While we still have some unknowns at the point, I have a lot of hope for Dederick. His mistakes seem to be a result of mistiming and nerves, both things he can quickly overcome. The game seems simple to him. He just needs it to slow down a bit.

• Upvote 1

While we still have some unknowns at the point, I have a lot of hope for Dederick. His mistakes seem to be a result of mistiming and nerves, both things he can quickly overcome. The game seems simple to him. He just needs it to slow down a bit.

I'm still waiting for the first shot from Lee that doesn't look forced.  Dude plays like there's a 10-second shot clock.

TU players and fans have had that kind of attitude towards ORU since TheEagleman came to 7777 South Lewis in 1972.....they just think that they are better than we are....well, my "friends" at 11th and Harvard....you aren't....not last year and not last night.....frankly, I hope that they never get it....because TheEagleman enjoys watching us beat them so much..... :nerd::*:nerd:

LOTS of belly-aching on the TU message board, calling for an end to the ORU-TU series for excuses running from the "classless student section" to "ORU's antagonistic refs" (which, if any of those rubes realized ORU's past run-ins with Mike Sanzere, is downright comical).

All to which I say:  "Fine."

Tuck tail and run, you gutless cowards, just like your boy Wojcik did four years ago.

I suppose the fact ORU has won 6-of-11 the past 12 years has nothing to do with your sudden indignation.

In the end, It all boils down to simply this:  S-C-O-R-E-B-O-A-R-D.

And if you guys can't handle that, then just go back to buying home games with the SWAC to artificially prop up your record every year.

• Upvote 1

While TheEagleman doesn't excuse classless anti-opposition chants from the student section because ORU should be better than that.........maybe the Maniacs were right last night after all?...... :wasntme:

btw.....Missouri rebounds with a sloppy 56-41 win over Valpo.....this is still a game that ORU can win if we play well....still, beating an SEC team won't be any picnic and we will have to shoot a lot better than 39%.....should be interesting on Wednesday night at Columbia..... :nerd:

LOTS of belly-aching on the TU message board, calling for an end to the ORU-TU series for excuses running from the "classless student section" to "ORU's antagonistic refs" (which, if any of those rubes realized ORU's past run-ins with Mike Sanzere, is downright comical).

All to which I say:  "Fine."

Tuck tail and run, you gutless cowards, just like your boy Wojcik did four years ago.

I suppose the fact ORU has won 6-of-11 the past 12 years has nothing to do with your sudden indignation.

In the end, It all boils down to simply this:  S-C-O-R-E-B-O-A-R-D.

And if you guys can't handle that, then just go back to buying home games with the SWAC to artificially prop up your record every year.

XVQXKJXTPRTPSMK.20141116042125.jpg

things you learn from reading the TU message board after a loss to ORU...

they lost because:

1. the refs

2. ORU PA announcer

3. ORU band was mic'd up

4. ORU student section dared to cheer against TU and state that they suck.

5. the game is more important to ORU

amazing that the players on the court or the coaching had nothing to with tonight's outcome.

I knew it was that PA announcer's fault that TU's guards couldn't stay in front!

Can you imagine the excuses when TU plays UCONN?

Apparently, the TU arrogance gospel has been dispersed so widely that even their players believe you never have to actually beat ORU to prove TU's dominance.

• Upvote 1