Utah vs ORU- The Opener

BlueGold

The ORU ladies host Utah tomorrow in their season opener at the Case Soccer Complex.  Kickoff is scheduled for 8pm Tulsa time or will follow shortly after the ORU men's final exhibition match against USAO, which is scheduled to start at 5:45pm.  Head on out if you're in the area, should be a good crowd with lots of enthusiastic students ready to scream their lungs out and cheer the Golden Eagles on to victory!

The ladies thumped Central Arkansas 4-0 in their only exhibition match last Saturday in Conway.  I'm expecting big things from them this season.  Go Eagles!! 

Ah....how TheEagleman wishes he could be there Friday night to cheer the Golden Eagles on to victory.....hoping for a doubleheader win for the home sides.....the ORU men should thump USAO but the ladies surely will have a tough match up with Utah.....still, I think we can get the W at home....please fill us in on all the details after the game, BlueGold..... :nerd:

Let's hope the August heat and oxygen rich air at 200ft above sea level here in Tulsa, will have adverse effects on the Utes!

Apparently not, Voice.....the ORU ladies fall 2-0 to Utah tonight at Case in the home opener......hundreds of fans go home disappointed..... :|

Utah wins 2-0 at The Case, and unfortunately from what I saw when watching the second half it looked like the ORU ladies were in a struggle for air in the last 10-15 minutes.  I saw a lot of bending over and grabbing the fronts of shorts.  The moments didn't last long, but still, not good.

- Utah scored their first goal in the 10th minute on a put away off a loose ball in the box.  Just a messy play from what I understand, but the ball could've/should've been cleared.

- ORU had an awesome chance to tie less than three minutes into the second half when Megan Giles came down the right side and beat one defender, then split two others and crossed to the middle to Kayla Keller, who had her shot from about three yards stopped initially by the Utah goalie, whose rebound went out to her right to Kayla Nsien, who shot high over the crossbar from point blank, I'd say from maybe a yard out.  You could hear the crowd start to celebrate, then deflate.

- Utah scored their second in the 62nd minute off a cross from the right corner after their corner kick was deflected back to the player taking the corner.  She placed a perfect shot on a line over the outstretched fingers of ORU goalie Maddie Rhodes and in.

- ORU had another great chance to score six minutes after the second Utah goal when Megan Giles came down the right side again, dribbled past a defender and crossed to Megan Guico, whose shot from 2-3 yards went hard into the Utah goalie's gut.  Another crowd burst, then depression.

Some observations:

- I thought Rhodes looked a little shaky in goal for ORU.  

- I thought ORU's play in the midfield was subpar.  Too little possession, too many giveaways.  Improvement needed, stat.

- Utah seemed much calmer when they had the ball and definitely connected much more with their passes.

Well, I hope the ladies have a short memory and far better lung capacity and stamina.  Next up is a match this Sunday night (7pm CT) in Lubbock against 17th-ranked Texas Tech.  Go Eagles!!

TheEagleman is disappointed with the loss last night but loves the on scene reports.....keep up the good work, BlueGold...... :clap:

• Upvote 1