Javan White - 6'7" F (2015)

ORUalum

Boys’ Basketball: Winter break basketball recap (Ames Tribune)

By Anthony Zilis, Staff Writer (12-26-14)
azilis@amestrib.com

(excerpt)

As teams prepare to come back from winter break, here’s a look at what we’ve learned about the area boys’ basketball teams thus far.

Ames (3-1)

Standouts: Javan White (16.7 pts, 12.0 rpg), Sam Rathe (10.7 pts) , Colby Shane (7.7 pts, 4.0 rpg)

Best win: 47-40 over Mason City

Analysis: The Little Cyclones lost leading scorer Sam Straub, who averaged –- points last season, and that hasn’t been easy. White, a 6-foot-9 post, has taken on a bigger offensive load this year to help fill that void, but offensively coach Vance Downs said his team has some work to do.

Defensively, though, they’ve taken a leap this season.

“We’re a better defensive team than we were a year ago at this point in the season,†coach Vance Downs said. “We’ll strive to be more efficient on offense … We’ve got good players, it’s just going to take a little time.â€

Link to story

• 2 months later...
Boys’ Basketball: After years of growth, White leads Ames back to state

By Anthony Zilis, Staff Writer
azilis@amestrib.com

(excerpt)

Looking at the lanky, 6-foot tall prospect in front of him, Ames boys’ basketball coach Vance Downs had no clue the kid he was meeting would grow into the next star who would lead his team to state.

It was shortly before the 2011-12 school-year, and Downs received a call that requesting he meet a prospective freshman from small-town Gibbon, Neb., whose family was considering moving to Ames.

Sure, Javan White’s passion for basketball became clear quickly. He already knew about Harrison Barnes’ exploits at Ames from watching YouTube videos and seeing him on ESPN. White was skilled in the post, but nothing indicated he’d become the inside force he is today.

Link to Ames Tribune story

Ames' state return: By the numbers, quotables

AMES BY THE NUMBERS

2010: Year of last state tournament appearance.

8: State championships in program history.

1936: Year of first state championship win.

7: Consecutive state quarterfinal victories.

10: Wins out of last 11 games this season.

46.7: Points allowed per game this season.

38.6: Points allowed per game since Feb. 1.

15: Offensive rebounds in two substate wins.

36.9: Opponent field goal percentage in last 10 games.

84: Senior Javan White's wingspan in inches.

66.2: Assisted field goal percentage by offense.

374: Javan White's career varsity rebounds.

53: Junior Colby Shane's made 3-pointers this season.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING.....

Link to Des Moines Register story

Would love to see him paired up with Curran Scott.

Edmond Memorial's @Curran_Scott23 sets school record for points in a single season. #OKPreps http://t.co/aOlvR4Kpt3 pic.twitter.com/3qOfLX1kYJ

— OKHardwood (@okhardwood)

March 3, 2015

Does anyone know if we're recruiting him?

Shout out to my boy @Curran_Scott23 for breakin the memorial single season scoring record! Keep working bro

— Oregano (@Obinna_15)

March 3, 2015

I cannot find any reference to ORU recruiting Curran Scott (Edmond Memorial). It appear that UTEP, Texas State and Rice have shown interest and maybe extended offers.

I cannot find any reference to ORU recruiting Curran Scott (Edmond Memorial). It appear that UTEP, Texas State and Rice have shown interest and maybe extended offers.

UTEP offers Curran Scott
02/24/2015, 4:00am CST
By Matt Reynolds

“I want to go play for the staff who I feel will not only give me the best opportunity to grow as a basketball player, but in all aspects of life,†Scott said. “I want to have a great relationship with my teammates as well.â€

Other schools who are showing interest in Scott include Tulsa, Fresno State, ORU, and UNLV. Scott says he does not have a frontrunner at this time.

“Right now I would say that it is pretty even,†Scott said. “I know the coaches at Tulsa really well, but Fresno State and El Paso are on me really hard right now.â€

not sure if this is referencing Scott, but from Chris Crawford's brother a few days ago...

Plus ORU just offered my bros best friend ANNNNNDDD he playin mustang

— Robert Crawford ™ (@BlackSmoke007)

March 14, 2015

EDIT: see below

We certainly have Edmond connections (Obi, Anderson, etc) and I assume we are using them. He has an interesting shot - kicks his right leg out on jump shots. Wonder how strong he is handling the ball and playing defense?

i guess this is who he was referencing...

Edmond Santa Fe 2015 SF DaQuan Jeffries (@DC32DJ) tells our @MattReynolds971 ORU has extended an offer. That gives him 3 D1 offers. #OKPreps

— Prep Hoops Oklahoma (@PrepHoopsOK)

March 17, 2015