Javan White - 6'7" F (2015)

ORUalum

2015 Ames (IA) F Javan White has received an offer from Oral Roberts. (HT @PrepHoopsIowa) @JWhite217 http://t.co/vXhkkZ7kpp

— Verbal Commits (@VerbalCommits)

July 14, 2014

@JWhite217 on offer from Oral Roberts - “It actually meant a lot. My mom went to school there & it has always been on the back of my mind.”

— Iowa Preps (@iowapreps)

July 14, 2014

"It actually meant a lot. My mom went to school there & it has always been on the back of my mind."

That highlight video showcases a really talented athletic big man -- he moves really well. Would love to see Javan choose the Golden Eagles! 

Basketball: Ames’ White receives first two DI offers

Ames basketball coach Vance Downs has taken calls from coaches of Division I and Division II schools from across the country over the last year inquiring about Javan White, all of them excited about 6-foot-7 rising senior’s length and polished post game.

Oddly enough, White’s first Division I scholarship offer did not come from one of those schools.

White was a pleasant surprise to coach Scott Sutton and the rest of his staff at Oral Roberts, his mother’s alma mater, when he attended a camp at the school in late June, and they extended White an offer last Saturday. The feedback he received sounded like an echo of everything Downs had been hearing.

“It was a pretty exciting night for me and my mom,†White said. “From what they said, they like how I finish around the rim and how I can go both ways, off of both shoulders, that my work in the paint is very good. I can score with my back to the basket, so that’s something that they say you don’t see from a lot of kids. And they said I do a lot of little things right as well. They said that as far as the college level, they think my best basketball is still ahead of me.â€

This process is relatively new for White, so a quick commitment doesn’t seem to be in the cards. And while the pre-existing ties to the first school that offered him may play a role in his decision down the road, he’s casting a wide net in his recruitment process.

“I knew at some point it would hopefully come. I have a lot of size. Now that it’s starting to come, I feel pretty good,†White said. “I’m definitely keeping it very open. ORU has the family connection, so that plays a little bit of a part as well. But as of right now, I think it’s going to come down to what’s the best fit for me.â€

• 1 month later...

'15 Ames PF Javan White (@JWhite217) set for an official at Northwestern State on Oct. 10. Could be a great fit w/ their system #iahsbkb

— Iowa Preps (@iowapreps)

September 5, 2014

Official visit @ORU #hooplife pic.twitter.com/kbV7LXb602

— Javan White (@Wizard_Kelly25)

September 5, 2014

Javan White would be a nice addition to our squad next year.....nothing like adding a 6-7 PF to the lineup and his mom is an ORU alum....TheEagleman would love it!..... :nerd:

Excited to announce that I'm committing to Oral Roberts University! Golden Eagle mindset!

Congratulations and welcome to the Golden Eagles. Best of luck this year! We are excited to see you in Old Navy and Vegas Gold next year.

Great pick up for ORU......TheEagleman is excited!....sounds like a very nice kid who has great physical skills and a nice touch around the basket.....hopefully he will get some playing time when he arrives in 2015-16....his mom must be proud!...... :eagles:

• 2 weeks later...
Oral Roberts wins the push for White

“The coaching corps is so tight there and they’re real and I really feel they have my best interest and they think that my best basketball is definitely ahead of me and I just feel comfortable around them,†said White.

“Once I visited the the players, I got to connect with them, and I got to actually see the facilities and stuff, and I was really impressed. That really surprised me, I didn't think they’d (the facilities) be as nice as they ended up being."

“And once I saw all that I kind of knew, why mess with something else, when you love where you’re at.â€

• 2 months later...