News
Sign in to follow this  
ORUalum

Javan White - 6'7" F (2015)

ORUalum

2015 Ames (IA) F Javan White has received an offer from Oral Roberts. (HT @PrepHoopsIowa) @JWhite217 http://t.co/vXhkkZ7kpp

— Verbal Commits (@VerbalCommits)

July 14, 2014

@JWhite217 on offer from Oral Roberts - “It actually meant a lot. My mom went to school there & it has always been on the back of my mind.”

— Iowa Preps (@iowapreps)

July 14, 2014

ORUalum

Sam Houston State the latest Division I school to offer Javan White (@JWhite217) a scholarship, he tells http://t.co/qyWLKiAtS6

— Prep Hoops Iowa (@PrepHoopsIA)

July 15, 2014

SOLO_Gold
"It actually meant a lot. My mom went to school there & it has always been on the back of my mind."

That highlight video showcases a really talented athletic big man -- he moves really well. Would love to see Javan choose the Golden Eagles! 

ORUalum
Basketball: Ames’ White receives first two DI offers

Ames basketball coach Vance Downs has taken calls from coaches of Division I and Division II schools from across the country over the last year inquiring about Javan White, all of them excited about 6-foot-7 rising senior’s length and polished post game.

Oddly enough, White’s first Division I scholarship offer did not come from one of those schools.

White was a pleasant surprise to coach Scott Sutton and the rest of his staff at Oral Roberts, his mother’s alma mater, when he attended a camp at the school in late June, and they extended White an offer last Saturday. The feedback he received sounded like an echo of everything Downs had been hearing.

“It was a pretty exciting night for me and my mom,†White said. “From what they said, they like how I finish around the rim and how I can go both ways, off of both shoulders, that my work in the paint is very good. I can score with my back to the basket, so that’s something that they say you don’t see from a lot of kids. And they said I do a lot of little things right as well. They said that as far as the college level, they think my best basketball is still ahead of me.â€

This process is relatively new for White, so a quick commitment doesn’t seem to be in the cards. And while the pre-existing ties to the first school that offered him may play a role in his decision down the road, he’s casting a wide net in his recruitment process.

“I knew at some point it would hopefully come. I have a lot of size. Now that it’s starting to come, I feel pretty good,†White said. “I’m definitely keeping it very open. ORU has the family connection, so that plays a little bit of a part as well. But as of right now, I think it’s going to come down to what’s the best fit for me.â€

ORUalum

'15 Ames PF Javan White (@JWhite217) set for an official at Northwestern State on Oct. 10. Could be a great fit w/ their system #iahsbkb

— Iowa Preps (@iowapreps)

September 5, 2014

Official visit @ORU #hooplife pic.twitter.com/kbV7LXb602

— Javan White (@Wizard_Kelly25)

September 5, 2014

Old Titan

Hmmmmmmm........ ;-) :razz: :rock: :party:

I LOVE GETTING GREAT NEWS!!!!

• Upvote 1

ORUTerry

Me too!!

theeagleman5

Javan White would be a nice addition to our squad next year.....nothing like adding a 6-7 PF to the lineup and his mom is an ORU alum....TheEagleman would love it!..... :nerd:

Old Titan

The last lanky 6'-7" legacy I can remember was Mid-Con Player-Of-the-Year Chad Wilkerson.

Just sayin'...

SOLO_Gold

This would be great news!

Basketball (Early Period) November 12, 2014 November 19, 2014

ORUalum

Excited to announce that I'm committing to Oral Roberts University! Golden Eagle mindset!

Old Titan

Welcome to ORU, Javan!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Best of wishes for your senior year of high school - enjoy every minute of it!   :party:

ORU82

Congratulations and welcome to the Golden Eagles. Best of luck this year! We are excited to see you in Old Navy and Vegas Gold next year.

oruvoice

Great news! Here's to a good senior year and a 3 inch growth spurt!

theeagleman5

Great pick up for ORU......TheEagleman is excited!....sounds like a very nice kid who has great physical skills and a nice touch around the basket.....hopefully he will get some playing time when he arrives in 2015-16....his mom must be proud!...... :eagles:

ORUalum
Oral Roberts wins the push for White

“The coaching corps is so tight there and they’re real and I really feel they have my best interest and they think that my best basketball is definitely ahead of me and I just feel comfortable around them,†said White.

“Once I visited the the players, I got to connect with them, and I got to actually see the facilities and stuff, and I was really impressed. That really surprised me, I didn't think they’d (the facilities) be as nice as they ended up being."

“And once I saw all that I kind of knew, why mess with something else, when you love where you’re at.â€

ORUTerry

White was named Ames' (Iowa) athlete of the week December 10th by readers of the newspaper.

Link

ORUTerry
Boys’ Basketball: Winter break basketball recap (Ames Tribune)

By Anthony Zilis, Staff Writer (12-26-14)
azilis@amestrib.com

(excerpt)

As teams prepare to come back from winter break, here’s a look at what we’ve learned about the area boys’ basketball teams thus far.

Ames (3-1)

Standouts: Javan White (16.7 pts, 12.0 rpg), Sam Rathe (10.7 pts) , Colby Shane (7.7 pts, 4.0 rpg)

Best win: 47-40 over Mason City

Analysis: The Little Cyclones lost leading scorer Sam Straub, who averaged –- points last season, and that hasn’t been easy. White, a 6-foot-9 post, has taken on a bigger offensive load this year to help fill that void, but offensively coach Vance Downs said his team has some work to do.

Defensively, though, they’ve taken a leap this season.

“We’re a better defensive team than we were a year ago at this point in the season,†coach Vance Downs said. “We’ll strive to be more efficient on offense … We’ve got good players, it’s just going to take a little time.â€

Link to story

ORUTerry
Boys’ Basketball: After years of growth, White leads Ames back to state

By Anthony Zilis, Staff Writer
azilis@amestrib.com

(excerpt)

Looking at the lanky, 6-foot tall prospect in front of him, Ames boys’ basketball coach Vance Downs had no clue the kid he was meeting would grow into the next star who would lead his team to state.

It was shortly before the 2011-12 school-year, and Downs received a call that requesting he meet a prospective freshman from small-town Gibbon, Neb., whose family was considering moving to Ames.

Sure, Javan White’s passion for basketball became clear quickly. He already knew about Harrison Barnes’ exploits at Ames from watching YouTube videos and seeing him on ESPN. White was skilled in the post, but nothing indicated he’d become the inside force he is today.

Link to Ames Tribune story

ORUTerry

Ames' state return: By the numbers, quotables

AMES BY THE NUMBERS

2010: Year of last state tournament appearance.

8: State championships in program history.

1936: Year of first state championship win.

7: Consecutive state quarterfinal victories.

10: Wins out of last 11 games this season.

46.7: Points allowed per game this season.

38.6: Points allowed per game since Feb. 1.

15: Offensive rebounds in two substate wins.

36.9: Opponent field goal percentage in last 10 games.

84: Senior Javan White's wingspan in inches.

66.2: Assisted field goal percentage by offense.

374: Javan White's career varsity rebounds.

53: Junior Colby Shane's made 3-pointers this season.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING.....

Link to Des Moines Register story

SOLO_Gold

Would love to see him paired up with Curran Scott.

Edmond Memorial's @Curran_Scott23 sets school record for points in a single season. #OKPreps http://t.co/aOlvR4Kpt3 pic.twitter.com/3qOfLX1kYJ

— OKHardwood (@okhardwood)

March 3, 2015

Does anyone know if we're recruiting him?

Shout out to my boy @Curran_Scott23 for breakin the memorial single season scoring record! Keep working bro

— Oregano (@Obinna_15)

March 3, 2015

ORUTerry

I cannot find any reference to ORU recruiting Curran Scott (Edmond Memorial). It appear that UTEP, Texas State and Rice have shown interest and maybe extended offers.

SOLO_Gold

He reminds me of the kind of top-notch under-the-radar player that lands at NDSU and SDSU.

ORUalum

I cannot find any reference to ORU recruiting Curran Scott (Edmond Memorial). It appear that UTEP, Texas State and Rice have shown interest and maybe extended offers.

UTEP offers Curran Scott
02/24/2015, 4:00am CST
By Matt Reynolds

“I want to go play for the staff who I feel will not only give me the best opportunity to grow as a basketball player, but in all aspects of life,†Scott said. “I want to have a great relationship with my teammates as well.â€

Other schools who are showing interest in Scott include Tulsa, Fresno State, ORU, and UNLV. Scott says he does not have a frontrunner at this time.

“Right now I would say that it is pretty even,†Scott said. “I know the coaches at Tulsa really well, but Fresno State and El Paso are on me really hard right now.â€