Welcome back to The Summit

rabbit74

Seeing some rumors out there that we might be welcoming UMKC back to the Summit sometime this year. 

it sounds like UMKC learned what ORU did....the grass is not always greener.  i would like to see UMKC added back.  it's a natural travel partner for ORU.

in other news...Jags new court design.

Who's coming out to make a basket on the new floor? Coliseum is open from 5-9 tomorrow. Bring your checkbooks! pic.twitter.com/afqfFYwaeY

— IUPUI Jaguars (@IUPUIJaguars)

September 29, 2014

If I was UMKC's AD and had the chance to move the school back to the Summit, I would in a heartbeat.  The travel distance for the teams in the WAC is incredible and I am not sure how much financial reimbursement each member school receives, if any, from the WAC.  Also, IMHO the level of play across the board has to be better overall in the Summit rather than the WAC.  Sorry, but I do not see the WAC having the same upside as the Summit.  Finally, I love what IUPUI is doing to their arena.  The investment being made in that facility is not only good for IUPUI but also indirectly for the Summit.

I should add that if anyone hears anything regarding UMKC's addition to the Summit or any other addition, please post it here.  Thanks!

UMKC coming back?....eh......TheEagleman wants VALPO back!!!..... :nerd:

• 1 month later...

I haven't been on here in ages, but I was just curious how the jump back into the Summit came about, how it happened so quickly, etc. I think it is a good move, but I just didn't hear much about it before the change.

• 3 months later...

I noticed in the Summit League Notes from last week that the Summit League is 7-0 vs. the Southland this year.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed in the Summit League Notes from last week that the Summit League is 7-0 vs. the Southland this year.

I read that too, but I'm not sure that is correct.  Looking at the Summit League schedule, the Summit League had the edge of 5-1.  Unless I am missing something, here's the breakdown.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/schedule

Nov 16 - Omaha 100 Central Arkansas 75.  (Central Arkansas was 2-27 this season.)

Nov 21 - Sam Houston 93 South Dakota 85 (3OT)  (Sam Houston State was 26-9 this season including a win and a loss in the CIT.)

Nov 22 - Western Illinois 60 Southeastern Louisiana 57 (Southeastern Louisiana was 9-23 this season.)

Nov 30 - Denver 79 New Orleans 60 (New Orleans was 11-18 this season.)

Dec 6 - Denver 64 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 48 (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi was 20-14 including a win and a loss in the CIT.)

Dec 17 - Denver 83 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 73

Even so, that's 5-1 advantage Summit League...still pretty good.

The best wins were probably Denver's two wins against TAMU-CC.  They won both in Corpus Christi and in Denver.  It looks like the Sam Houston State/South Dakota game was a very good one.  Sam Houston State was a very good team this year.  They lost to 29-5 Stephen F. Austin three times, two other NCAA Tournament teams in Wofford and LSU, one NIT team in Texas A&M, two CIT teams in TAMU-CC Louisiana-Lafayette and UNLV who had a down season.

• 6 months later...

The almighty dollar has spoken, again.  Let's just forget about rewarding the regular-season conference champion from the season before with the rightful honor of getting to host the postseason conference tournament, it's all about attendance.  Douple couldn't wait to mention it in the article.  

The regular-season conference champions in baseball, volleyball, and men's & women's soccer get to host the postseason tournament in those sports the following year, and others may too, but those are "non-revenue" sports so who cares, they don't generate enough $$$ from their postseasons for THE SUMMIT LEAGUE to give a darn.  Basketball is king, and the winds of the great & mighty dollar blow strong from Sioux Falls.  What a league.

i just wish they were competing for conference tournament championships, regardless of where the thing is played.

sadly, unless lightening strikes with a few of the freshmen (ala Tutt and Green),  ORU will not be able to compete with SDSU and NDSU for a championship in men's basketball.

i hope i am wrong, but it feels like ORU athletics is settling in to being second tier in the Summit League.  the one sport ORU has a distinct advantage is baseball, and several schools are catching up with ORU on the diamond.

Edited by ORUalum
typo

It would be idiotic to move the tournament away from Sioux Falls. Just look at the numbers. It wouldn't make any sense. Tulsa had the chance to be a long term host but blew it. The players want to play in front of people instead of empty seats regardless of who they are rooting for. Sioux Falls got the chance and never looked back. Don't blame Douple on making the right decision. 

BTW Sioux Falls is also hosting a D1 Women's NCAA Tournament Regional (Sweet 16 & Elite 8 ) this year. So obviously Sioux Falls is doing something right and the 2022 SLT extension isn't just because of the Dakota schools. 

I recommend attending the actual tournament. You will change your mind if you are against Sioux Falls hosting. 

We'll never agree, so I'm not going to try to prove that what is fair is better than making as much money as you can at the expense of fairness.  

Is it the utmost obligation of a conference to uphold fairness in all aspects of athletic competition for its members, or is it to make as much money as it can for its members?  With this league I have answered my own question, and you've backed it up.  "Just look at the numbers."  It's all about the money.

Players always want to play in front of their own fans if they can because history proves that it offers the team they're playing for an advantage.  How does it benefit IPFW if they're playing in Sioux Falls and 99 percent of the people there aren't their people?

And what does bringing up the NCAA Regional matter in this discussion?  That has nothing to do with the fairness issue and/or rewarding the best team with the opportunity to host.  It only means that the NCAA has seen the attendance for the Summit tournaments and they believe they can make money.  It's all about the money.  They're going where they think they can make it.

This is an ORU forum, but I didn't mention anything about ORU or Tulsa hosting.  I could care less who hosts the tournaments as long as it's for the right reason.  Reward the regular-season champion in all sports with the right to host their respective postseason tournaments.  Other conferences do it and have done it for years, and some go even further by rewarding the higher seed in the bracket the right to host in every round.  I don't see those conferences going bankrupt.

I don't need to attend the actual tournament.  I know what to expect.  The 99 percent will be there, rooting against whichever team isn't their team, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.  Enjoy the advantage.

Right off the top of my head I believe the Big 10, Mo Valley, SEC, ACC, AAC, MAC, CUSA and Big East all have "neutral" sites for their respective tournament finals.  Some let the first round or two to be played on the higher seed's campus, but the final rounds go to "neutral" sites.  Also, it is about the "money".  The more money a conference makes, whether through tournaments, broadcasting rights or whatever, the more money the conference can share/divide amongst it members.  In today's world of D-I basketball, every cent helps.

• Upvote 1

We heard similar complaints about ORU's "advantage" while the tournament was held at the UMAC in Tulsa.

Coincidentally, ORU had their strongest teams in the last twenty years during at that same time, entering each of the four tournaments in Tulsa as the #1 Seed. 

Many casual observers assumed ORU won 3-of-4 during that stretch because of the supposed "home court advantage", when in fact they were simply the better team.

It's the same thing with the XDSU's right now:  they just happened to have very good teams the past few seasons, so they keep making championship runs. 

If they were middle of the pack and losing in the first round every year, where the tournament is played wouldn't be an issue. 

And, frankly, if ORU's teams from the past few campaigns had played the tournament at the UMAC instead of Sioux Falls, the XDSU squads from those seasons likely would have prevailed anyway.  They were better teams!

My main problem with the tournament being in Sioux Falls every year is simply selfish:  it's a long way to drive, and the unpredictable weather presents a legitimate concern for fan travel.

If ORU has a championship-caliber team any given season, I really don't have a problem with them playing their conference tournament on the road. I just wish it was closer.

Bottom line:  get better, go into the tournament as the #1 Seed, and let's see what happens.

None of this would even be up for discussion to begin with if conferences followed the lead of the Ivy and didn't have postseason basketball tournaments.  Give the automatic bid to the regular-season champion.  A team that goes through an entire conference schedule and finishes first has proven they are the best, and a conference should always send its best to the NCAAs.  What is the point in having postseason basketball tournaments?  Fan interest?  To give other teams a chance?  Sure, let's enable the teams that didn't finish in first, give them hope, give them a chance.  That's all they need, one chance to play against a team that could have their top player out, or could play terribly for one game and have their season end based on one.  

Why have them then?  Money.

BTW, I love money, but not enough to sacrifice what is right for it.