Robert Redford in talks to play Oral Roberts in new film

vcboy2000

Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 4:13 pm | Updated: 10:29 am, Thu May 22, 2014.

By RITA SHERROW World Scene Writer |

Robert Redford is in talks to portray Tulsa’s Oral Roberts in an upcoming film.

Jonathan Demme is set to direct “Come Sunday,†a film chronicling the true story of Tulsa evangelical minister Carlton Pearson, according to hollywoodreporter.com. Pearson unsettled many with his revelation that there was no hell, lost everything and had to rebuild his church, his family and find his own faith again, reported the website Wednesday.

Jeffrey Wright, last seen in “Quantum of Solace,†is said to be in talks to play Pearson.

Native Oklahoman Roberts was an early pioneer of TV evangelism who reached millions worldwide over more than 60 years and founder of Tulsa’s Oral Roberts University. He was also Pearson's mentor, according to the website. Roberts died in 2009 at age 91.

Redford recent credits include the superhero pic “Captain America: The Winter Soldier†and J.C. Chandor's “All Is Lost.â€

The project was announced in 2010 and languished on the shelves for years before Demme took interest in it. Marcus Hinchey wrote the screenplay, which is based on an episode of the Chicago Public Radio program “This American Life†titled “Heretics†which was broadcast in 2005. A spring 2015 product started is being discussed.

• Upvote 1

Very interesting....TheEagleman did not hang in Pearsons' circles back in the 70's but I knew him and had some interactions with the guy....I always liked him....Carletons' story is a strange one.....hard to figure where this new theological thinking of his came from....he was pretty solid back in the day......I would probably check out this movie.....Redford as OR, huh?....something tells me that Oral would love it!...... :nerd:

.Carletons' story is a strange one.....hard to figure where this new theological thinking of his came from

direct revelation...proving once again that three of the most dangerous words are "God told me." 

i saw this story last night and listened to the NPR interview from 2005 that sparked the interest in a movie. 

here it is if you care to listen...LINK

TheEagleman thinks that Carleton must have absorbed too much hair gel into his brain....he's lost it..... :fubar:

• Upvote 1

Oral and the university are treated pretty fairly in the original broadcast. Richard is also treated pretty fairly... which for him is bad news.

• Upvote 1