Lamar at ORU

theeagleman5

It was fitting that this game ended with a walk-off hit by pitch. It's sad to say but neither team deserved a win. Too many errors and poor at bats resulting in baserunners left stranded. This team is capebale of so much more. Lets get the win tonight. Sweep the series. Claim 8th seed and face the 1 seed with our best! Play well and you never know what can happen.

Good to win the first game. Now let's get the second (and decisive) game tonight.

just looked at the standings.  someone correct me if i'm looking at this wrong, but i think if ORU sweeps Lamar and ends up tied with UCA they would finish 7th because of a head-to-head tie breaker.  also if ORU sweeps and SELA gets swept i think ORU would finish 6th.

McNeese State 17-11            

Southeastern La. 16-12            

Central Arkansas 15-13            

Oral Roberts 15-13            

Lamar 14-14

Magic number for making tournament - 1 (total of ORU wins) or 2 (UCA losses)

Magic number for earning seventh seed - 2 (either 2 ORU wins or 1 ORU win + 1 UCA loss)

As far as sixth seed - if we win both and SELa loses both, it would go to a tiebreaker. Since we didn't play SELa, the tiebreaker would compare our record with SELa against top seeded teams, which is still undetermined. As long as Sam Houston or NWState finish #1, we would win the tiebreaker - If A&M-CC or Nicholls takes the top spot, we'd be #7.

Also interesting, there is a possibility that Sam Houston will finish 1 or 2, and UCA will finish 7 or 8, setting up a first round battle. UCA swept SHS earlier this year in Conway, host site of the tournament.

This will be as WIDE-OPEN a conference tournament as I can remember - ANY team could win it.

The key is... we need to make the field to win it!  One more, boys!

if ORU sweeps and SELA gets swept, ORU would have a better record than SELA  (17 wins vs 16 for SELA)---  and ORU would have the tie breaker with UCA for 6th place assuming they sweep UNO

now, if ORU and UCA sweep and SELA wins one vs NW St, then it's a three way tie for 6th.

ORU 2 Lamar 2 after 6 inn......Gomez still on the mound for us but Lamar is into their bullpen already....the Cardinals took an early 2-zip lead but the Good Guys have battled back to tie it..........looks like another barnburner at JLJ...... :sweat:

Forcier ties it a 4-4 with a 2 out 2 run HR in the bottom of the 9th....but Lamar scores in the top of the 10th and is about to close the door on ORU tonight....looks like a deciding game tomorrow afternoon.... :nerd:

Not so fast, my friends....ORU now has 2nd and 3rd with two outs in the home 10th.....Good Guys not going down without a fight.... :|

ORU falls 5-4 in 10....tough loss tonight...the whole season is on the line tomorrow...... :sweat:

Lamar beats ORU, 3-1....season over.....ouch!....... :puke:

Trujillo pitched well today.  ORU just dug too big a hole in conference play.  The margin for error was so small after the slow start.

this is a very fitting end to the debacle that has been the Southland experiment.

i hope the coaches are realizing the BATS ARE DEAD....it's time to stop playing Gary Ward/OSU baseball playing for the long ball and big inning.  the team needs to be built on defense and speed.  Golloway style small ball needs to return to JLJ.

What a disappointing end to the season.....we have 6 home games to finish the season and needed to go just 4-2 to make the playoffs.....3-3 didn't cut in....small ball would be nice next year but ORU came up small this weekend.....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!.............. :puke: :puke: :puke:

None of our teams really fared well in the Southland over the past two years but no squad took a bigger downturn than our formerly nationally respected baseball team.....we were one of the top 3 programs in the entire nation in consecutive NCAA appearances until we joined the Southland....now granted the Summit/Mid-Con didn't have the quality that the Southland has but TheEagleman isn't sure that it's all attributable to the conference change.....also I am not close enough to the program to say that the Golloway/Walton regimes were better coached than the current one....just guessing that it all comes down to talent on the field.....and the past two years we haven't performed in the Southland....funny that we were able to defeat teams like  OU, OSU, Missouri St. and Wichita St. in midweek games but we were under .500 against Southland competition.....maybe some of you out there who watch the games and are connected better to the program have some thoughts....I am sure that the move back to the Summit will certainly give ORU a better shot at getting back to the NCAA Tournament in 2015 but clearly the baseball program has taken a downturn over the past couple of years and we need an upgrade in talent......it makes TheEagleman sad considering where we used to be...from the chat on the board it doesn't seem like funding has been changed or is a problem compared to other Southland schools.....and I can't let the other programs off the hook, either....only the soccer teams have showed improvement over the past year and our track teams still have good results....but both basketball teams and tennis have been subpar......clearly changes are needed....is Mike Carter on the hot seat for any of this?.....maybe RR and LR were our good luck charms....perhaps Richard should be invited back as a consultant.... :wasntme:

I'd also love to hear someone's thoughts who's close to the program. Baseball seemed to be our strongest sport for a long time; naysayers will say that was obviously because of the weaker competition of the Summit/Mid Con. Is that it? Or is this just the natural ebb and flow of transitioning to a new-ish coaching staff?

Losing a single play-in game is unfortunate, but it happens.

Losing half of thirty conference games over two months and finishing ninth in a mid-major league with no nationally relevant teams is inexcusable, considering ORU's baseball budget, facilities, etc.

I didn't see enough of this year's team to make any specific observations, but the results speak for themselves:  simply unacceptable.

I agree with most of the comments - BUT I don't agree that the Southland does NOT have any nationally relevant teams.  Even though they dropped out - Sam Houston was nationally ranked at one time and may return after coming back to win the conference title. And last year Central Arkansas finished ranked after making a strong showing in their regional.  I can't comment on the quality of the Summit or Mid-Continent but I can't imagine the Southland NOT being a much better baseball league top to bottom.  Instead of playing schools like Sam Houston, Lamar, Central Arkansas, SE Louisiana, McNeese St, and Stephen F Austin - I expect ORU to return to dominance against the likes of:

Omaha 15-9 31-20 South Dakota State 11-11 27-27 Western Illinois 11-13 19-30 Fort Wayne 11-13 19-34 North Dakota State 10-12 22-24

Where one (1) school has a winning record... The Eagles finished in 9th place and STILL had a winning record. I would venture to say that if you took the top 5 teams from the Southland and matched them up with the Summit - the Southland would win all 5 series.

Yes, I AM biased since I've lived in the South for the last 30+ years. But the biggest difference I noticed between ORU and other top Southland opponents is depth. ORU gave my son an opportunity to play two more years when other teams in the Southland did not so I'm grateful. Did the teams come up short the last 2 years when compared to prior Eagles - ABSOLUTELY!  Do I think it's attributed to the lack of small ball, new coaching staff, or quality players?  No - I think the Southland is a stronger baseball conference with quality teams from top to 'almost' bottom - including ORU.  I'm disappointed that ORU is leaving - I would have enjoyed watching more ORU baseball in the South and I think the Southland would have offered some additional recruiting opportunities as well.  Good luck next year and I will continue to read your comments and support the Golden Eagles!

I am not close enough to watch every game and know what is going on internally with the team so I will not try. What is frustrating is watching us sweep Oklahoma and beat Kansas, Oklahoma State, Wichita State and Missouri State among others while not qualifying for our own Conference's tournament. If you would have told me pre-season we would have those OOC victories, I would have assumed we were in post-season play. As someone else pointed out, with our baseball budget, facilities and OOC schedule, we should be doing better than what we just completed. Just my $.02.