Coaching Carousel 2014

ORUalum

When Manning returned to Wake Forest for a second meeting in a week, I figured an announcement that he was leaving was eminent. 

However, as time passes without any word, I'm starting to wonder if he might actually be struggling with the decision, or at least with the details of his new deal at Wake, such as the length of the contract, assistant coaches salaries, etc.

Despite the fact he personally may be set financially for life from his NBA days, Manning may be concerned about uprooting his assistant coaches unless the deal at Wake is really good for them, too. 

Kinda hard to predict right now...

Jim Christian at Ohio University is leaving to take the HC job in men's basketball at Boston College.

So, who does TU go after to replace Manning? Bob Hoffman, Scott Sutton, Saul Phillips - ? Not sure either one of those guys will get a look. I expect that they will go after a young assistant coach.

Jeff Goodman suspects Florida Gulf Coast coach and former Bill Self assistant, Joe Dooley.

Personally I think Dooley is in a better situation on the gulf. TU really put themselves in a bad situation when they joined the AAC.

i'm guessing TU will hire Pooh Williamson....i don't understand why Brad Underwood at SFA is not getting any looks after the year they had.

I like the TW's prediction of Doug Gottlieb. No formal coaching experience but could be the kind of go-getter and recruiter they need.

Heck they have posters saying they can get Gregg Marshall as TU is a better job than Wichita St.! That to me is just amazing! TU is not even in the same ballpark. If they knew what all he gets they would be shocked.

• Upvote 1

I make calls up in the Wichita area - WSU basketball is king there. Even though there are KU and KSU fans in town, it seems the whole community is behind Wichita State. The school does not have football, so all of their energy is behind the basketball team. Marshall would be foolish to leave that set up - unless it was for a top tier program. They fill their arena (+10,000) and have plenty of funding. Their major donor has the last name of "Koch".

They are hammering Manning over there. Why would you not take the WF job at $2 million a year plus huge raises for your assistants. His agent was very proactive for him.

• Upvote 1

They are hammering Manning over there. Why would you not take the WF job at $2 million a year plus huge raises for your assistants. His agent was very proactive for him.

They're unrealistic and frankly overvaluing Manning. If Memphis was in that league this year would they have gone to the NCAA tournament? Absolutely not. They're going into a tougher conference where it will take, at best, years for them to become competitive -- I think Manning had the decency to make this look like a "tough decision" but it shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone. 

What I find interesting/amusing, is how the majority of their board LOVED Danny and REALLY wanted him to stay. Then, once they found out he was leaving, many were saying, "WF overpaid", "he hasn't proven anything yet", "he hasn't won an NCAA game", etc.

An interesting subject lesson in human psychology, for sure.

What I find interesting/amusing, is how the majority of their board LOVED Danny and REALLY wanted him to stay. Then, once they found out he was leaving, many were saying, "WF overpaid", "he hasn't proven anything yet", "he hasn't won an NCAA game", etc.

An interesting subject lesson in human psychology, for sure.

they are moving through the Kubler-Ross stages of grief.

from denial (He won't leave us for Wake Forest)  to anger (noted above).....bargaining, depression, acceptance still to come

How would this board (and the ORU community) react if Scott Sutton left (or had left a few years ago)?

I thought we would see Saul Phillips' name bantered about a bit more for job openings after the season he had. Of course the amount of coaching jobs available this year seems a bit down.

I'm glad they're not suggesting Scott for the job. Do you think anyone would suggest Sean?

Their hatred of anything ORU - or OSU - would preclude them looking at either Sutton. I am afraid that Sean's past may still be a detriment to his ability to land another head coaching job. It would also help if ORU had a stellar season.