Next Years Schedule

orumbb_insider

ORU and Liberty seems like a natural match up....let's contact MM and set up a series alternating home games every year!.... :clap:

I disagree about getting better Mids to come to Mabee. By way of example, when Akron played us a couple years ago, they flew to Tulsa. I also know that when Ohio plays more than a few hours away, they fly. My point being that distance is not really a factor with better Mids. As for Homecoming, if it is a non D-1 school, mike Carter should be fired. Please give the returning Alumni something to get excited about.

• Upvote 1

They are not going to fly to Tulsa to play ORU unless they have a reason to (player on their squad from the area, we pay them,etc). Akron only came here because they had to from their Bracketbuster commitment.

We have had great teams come and play in Mabee over the years.  While I was there among others during the '79-'80 season we hosted Kansas, BYU, Georgetown, ECU, Xavier and Marquette.  In '80-'81 we hosted Princeton, Tulane, Wichita State, Missouri, Drake, Butler and Xavier.  And in '81-'82 we hosted among others Oklahoma State, Colorado State and UConn.  So it is possible to get better teams to come to our house.

Notice the time periods tho. As optimistic as I am, I'm pretty sure the programs weren't prideful and $$ hungry as they are now. Let's face it, if we want to host any good teams in the mabee, plain and simple we are going to have to get better and step it up! A la WSU, Gonzaga, Creighton!

I'm not as worried about ORU's non-conference schedule with the return to the Summit:  the conference RPI will now be strong enough that a murderer's row November and December may not be as necessary as in the Southland.

I am curious, however, to see what the homecoming game will be.  One guaranteed non-conference home game for next season that, like it or not, might get the nod:  The University Of Tulsa. :doh:

I am curious, however, to see what the homecoming game will be.  One guaranteed non-conference home game for next season that, like it or not, might get the nod:  The University Of Tulsa. :doh:

Yep. :nerd:

I would rather see Tulsa than someone like Rogers State.  No offense to any non D-I program, but if you want the alumni more involved financially you need to give them a product they want to get behind.  I realize this will not happen over night, but when I was in Tulsa for Homecoming this year, there was a lively discussion between myself and other alums who remember when ORU (the Titans) played schools like Kansas, BYU, Georgetown, Mizzou, Marquette, Xavier, Butler and whoever in the Mabee.  That is a far cry from watching Southeastern Louisiana.  If we ever want to run with the big dogs, we have to get off the porch.  I would rather see a game with Tulsa than some D-II stiff or a D-I unknown.  Just my $.02.

I would rather see Tulsa than someone like Rogers State.  No offense to any non D-I program, but if you want the alumni more involved financially you need to give them a product they want to get behind.  I realize this will not happen over night, but when I was in Tulsa for Homecoming this year, there was a lively discussion between myself and other alums who remember when ORU (the Titans) played schools like Kansas, BYU, Georgetown, Mizzou, Marquette, Xavier, Butler and whoever in the Mabee.  That is a far cry from watching Southeastern Louisiana.  If we ever want to run with the big dogs, we have to get off the porch.  I would rather see a game with Tulsa than some D-II stiff or a D-I unknown.  Just my $.02.

I would love to see more (any?) power conference schools in the Mabee Center, but that is not going to happen given current economics. They can make much more money playing in their own gyms - in front of other big schools/crowds. The same is generally true for upper and middle tier schools. The key is to find schools that need home games and arrange a home and home series.

I wonder if we have ever tried to coordinate with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State or TU to see if any of the opponents that are traveling to their place would also consider playing at the Mabee Center two days before/after their game? It would allow the other team to save in travel costs - I think. Another idea is to contact schools with Oklahoma kids and invite them to come back and play in front of family & friends.

• Upvote 1

I'm not as worried about ORU's non-conference schedule with the return to the Summit:  the conference RPI will now be strong enough that a murderer's row November and December may not be as necessary as in the Southland.

I say load us up with cupcakes.  It would be nice to get some swagger back with a good home winning streak again.  Sure it will pad our numbers but we need confidence.  And right now we just cant compete with this tough scheduling.  

I don't recall us playing a non D1 school on homecoming recently. I would guess we have played a conference opponent every year for at least the last 15 years.

"Cupcakes" are going for around $100-grand these days - how many of those can ORU afford?

The economic reality is that ORU must go on the road in November and December because:  A.) Hey, they gotta play SOMEBODY for approxmately a dozen games, B.) they can't afford to buy home games, and C.) might as well make some money while trying to be one "badass cupcake" in somebody else's gym.