Southland/Summit Post-Season

ORU82

SFA doesn't turn the ball over very often –– I see that game being close up until the end –– with  VCU pulling out the victory. OU / NDSU –– I don't see as close. I'll be rooting against the Sooners but I can't see Saul Philips and co. pulling off the upset. 

This was the easier upset for me to pick.  NDSU is a lot bigger than OU in the front line.  If OU is not hitting 3's, they are very average offensively, and are not a good defensive team.  NDSU is among the national leaders in field goal percentage, scoring and turnover margin.  i think the Bison may be able to simply outscore OU, especially if Spangler gets in foul trouble.

I think the SFA vs VCU contest could be very interesting. If SFA can handle their press and make shots - I like them to win. Wonder how VCU will handle SFA's defense? I think SFA is used to winning and a consequence, they will find a way to come out on top.

Oklahoma is a streaky shooting club. Their length and athleticism on the perimeter could give NDSU trouble. Both teams can score - the winner will be the team that can disrupt the other defensively. I think OU will be a bit too much for the Bison. Would be a nice upset though.

I filled out my bracket this morning, and realized afterwards that I had chosen the 12 in every 5-12 matchup.  That's sure to be the kiss of death...

Nice win for NDSU....TheEagleman loves seeing the Sooners get beat and the Bison didn't even play their A game.....they could make it to the Sweet 16..... :clap:

congrats to FargoBison and our other NDSU friends...gutty win for the Bison. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Man, is ORU returning to the Summit at the right time, or what?

Of course, if SFA wins in equally dramatic fashion Friday night over Shaka Smart and VCU, the Southland will be strutting its stuff, too.

But, there's just something about a mid-major beating a big football school that captures the public's imagination.  A lot of casual observers will never grasp just how good this NDSU team is, or how fragile this OU team's success was this year.  It really wasn't an upset; the better team won.

Still, what most folks will see is simply David beating Goliath - which is ALWAYS what makes March Madness so special.

Great night for NDSU and the Summit League - and, ultimately, great night for ORU:  all the publicity will sell a few more tickets next year when the Bison roll into town.

• Upvote 1

Great win by NDSU. They showed poise and toughness - and made shots. OU was a nice draw for them.

And what about the OU player(s) and their long fingernails? Braun looked like he had been cut with a knife. The refs should have had the players cut their nails. On twitter, some people were saying that Cameron Clark has 'girl' nails.

After one day, only 0.2% of the the participants in the CBS Sports bracket contest are perfect.

Link

I am so happy that NDSU beat OU! All year, I felt that OU was overrated. And how about that Bison freshman who came off the bench? It was a great win for NDSU, the Summit, and as Old Titan said, for ORU.

Yeah, the kid was totally cold (did not play a minute before that) and only averages 3 points a game - and is around 58% from the free thow line. And then nails his free throws.

I am not particularly happy for NDSU.

However, anytime OU loses...it brings a smile to my face.

So, I'm kinda torn.

I am not particularly happy for NDSU.

However, anytime OU loses...it brings a smile to my face.

So, I'm kinda torn.

What do you have against the BiZon?

I got into a Twitter exchange last night with Doug Gottlieb - during the game - about his insistence on saying "Bizon" instead of "Bison" when referring to NDSU(which is what, for some reason, the Fargo faithful have decided over the years to call their team.  Even they will admit they use the more conventional "bison" to describe actual buffalo). 

The confusion spilled onto the CBS postgame desk later that night, with Grant Hill arguing for "bison" with Seth Davis, who was so loopy after a full day of games that he kept saying "It's Bizon - the Z is silent", which made absolutely no sense.

For the record, I can not understand why an announcer born in Orange County, and who works in LA and is calling a game in Spokane, feels it necessary to sound like he's from the Dakotas for 90 minutes. 

If he called the Louisville-Manhattan game last night, would he have been dropping "Loo-ah-ville" and "Jas-PAH" bombs all over the broadcast to placate the audience from Kentucky and The Bronx?

If Gottlieb ever does World Cup, is he going to start trilling his r's every chance he gets?

Frankly, I can even imagine some situations where trying to sound "local" could lead to some social and/or racial backlash.  It's borderline condescending.

Better to stick with the conventional pronunciations, and leave the coloquial nuances to the respective fan bases. 

Regardless of what they say in Fargo, NDSU will always be the "Bison" to me...

*NOW*, OT, you understand my frustration with the eastern pronunciation of "torn"-ament as opposed the western pronunciation of "turn" -ament. When I brought THAT up a while back I was roundly criticized for being boring, disconnected and shallow.

Man, what goes around comes around!! ;-)