Olympic Hockey

tmh8286

Tough loss to the boys up north today for Team USA. Great game and exciting finish, but the wrong team won. I'm curious if any of you guys that are more hockey-savvy know the story of the guy that has been calling the TV games. I'm sure he's an NHL announcer, but his ability to call out a never-ending stream of names regardless of the team and regardless of the player changes was astounding to me. I couldn't do that if it was my OWN THREE BOYS!! I don't know how a guy's mind flows like that. I'd get so tangled up and frustrated I'd just walk off in digust!! I couldn't BEGIN to do what Geoff does with basketball, but the pace of hockey takes it up even another notch from there. That guy is pretty amazing. Probably guys like him with every hockey franchise, though.

Mike Emerick is a long time NHL announcer first with the Flyers and then the Devils and he does national NBC broadcasts also.....he's one of the best and also a cancer survivor....TheEagleman couldn't agree more about the quality of his work.....yeah, tough one for USA men today and the USA women yesterday....both one goal losses....those Canucks are just too scrappy..... :nerd:

Unfortunately Team USA is shut out in it's final two games, losing today to Finland, and come home without any hardware. Disappointing finish for Team USA Hockey after such a promising start.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!......... :puke:

Not wanting to rub salt in the wound or anything, but I have never seen a team of athletes at the top of their sport play as much of a TEAM game as the Canadians in this past tournament.

Ron, even though I'm no hockey aficionado, I do have an appreciation for the sport.  My best friend in college (in So Cal) was Canadian and like all Canadians was an avid hockey fan, and  I went to a number of Kings games with him.  So I love to see the US team do well in hockey.  But if ever there was a team that DESERVED gold based on it's national passion for a sport the nation would be Canada and the sport would be hockey.  I don't believe there is another country in the world where a sport is so intertwined with the psyche of a nation as hockey is to Canada.  It's part of the national fiber.  It's a birthright to every young man (and any more, to young women as well). 

So as much as I wish it were Team USA standing on the podium, gold medals being placed around their necks, the Star Spangled Banner stirring hearts and forcing tears as Old Glory slowly rises on the center flagpole, I'm content that our neighbors to the north are there instead, and your whole nation can revel in the fact that you are the best in the world at the sport that means the most to you. 

Congratulations, man!

Tmh, I am truly touched by your words! Thank you!

You're right in recognizing the significance of hockey for Canada's national psyche. Hockey started at about the same time that Canada became a nation. Relationships to the south were much easier to establish and maintain. No offence, but especially the West was in danger of becoming American. Hockey and the railroad were the two things that really connected East and West. The rivalry and commonality helped to forge this country. It is much more than a game for us.

When I was young, I played hockey on the ice of a barely frozen swamp. When the puck went into the vegetation, we had to go after it. We broke through the ice soaking our feet. We climbed out and kept playing. We cried when we came home and the redness of the skin slowly receded as we warmed up, but the next day we were out there again. When the weather wasn't quite cold enough, we played road hockey, setting up two nets (the guys that owned the nets were kings) and warning the opposing team when we saw a car approaching.

I live out in the frozen West now. We have extremely cold temperatures all winter. Whatever snow lands on the ground does not thaw until the spring. Every community has an outdoor rink that is maintained by volunteers and is  used by children and youth in the community, often to play hockey. We come by our love and ownership of the sport honestly. Hockey is in our fibre and our genes.

Thanks again for your awesome words, but by all means, let the friendly rivalry continue. The U.S. has made great strides in the last decades and no Canadian takes a game against the U.S. lightly.

Nice comments, Ron....but you can keep Sidney Crosby...... :puke:  :wasntme:  :puke:

Eagleman, if we could have Crosby and Toews on the Winnipeg Jets, we would try to make room for them :inlove: . You're just not happy that Crosby is playing for Pittsburgh and not Philly. Those sentiments I can understand. :*

LOL...I guess that Crosby is the Bobby Clarke of this generation.... :nerd:

I can still remember the days of Clark, MacCleish and Schulz. Has anything happened in Philly hockey-wise since then?

LOL...yeah, we have made the finals several times but no Cup....the Broad Street Bullies are still very popular and make a lot of celebrity/charity appearances...Bernie Parent, Bill Barber and Clark along with the late Coach Fred Shero are all hall of famers......hey, over the years we've had stars like Hextall, Lindros, Mark Howe, etc....and on the current team Claude Giroux is a darn good player....he should have been on Team Canada.... :nerd:

Claude Giroux and Sid the Kid do not share much love, right? Good luck with Giroux making Team Canada on Crosby's watch.

Yeah, Giroux and Crosby don't like each other....then again, not sure any opponent likes Sidney......he's a PITA.....and a chronic whiner.....he's probably by far the most detested opposing player in any current major sport for Philly fans...but yeah, he's a great player....very clutch.....Giroux is one of the top 10-15 players in the NHL....not sure what the politics were that kept him off Team Canada but he was very disappointed not to go to Sochi....I know he got off to a poor start as did the entire Flyer team this season but Claude had been extremely hot since before Christmas.....hoping that the 3 week break will not spoil the Flyers momentum...they are in a tough battle for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference....the final 5 or 6 spots are totally up for grabs..... :sweat:

I share your pain, Eagleman. The Jets are in a tough situation playoff-wise as well, currently two points out of a spot. They are on a 10-3-1 tear though, since replacing the coach. Hopefully we will both be able to celebrate a playoff opportunity in about 20 games or so.

The pre-Olympic break momentum didn't carry over for the Flyers....last night....San Jose 7 Philadelphia 3.....ouch!.... :sweat: