ORU falls 79-71

i think Coach Cussen might have found her starting 5:

Key

Bryan

Balla

Balla

Shelton

ORUAlum -

I couldn't watch the game today.  With that line up, it looks like you would be limited on ball handling and passing.  That's a bigger, stronger group...

What's the old saying?....hard to make chicken salad out of chicken S#%&#%....... :|

i'm no expert, but it looked like they undertood and ran the trapping zone defense better and ORU was able to get off to a solid start.  they raced out to 13-1 lead with good defense and outside shooting and led by 14 late in the first half.  Marquette was big and had ORU's bigs in foul trouble all game and dominated the boards.

ORU showed a lot of fight today.  i was worried that after the Northwestern blowout there might be a temptation to lay down and get home for Christmas.

FT shooting and turnovers continue to be an issue, but i don't think they will see anyone as good as Marquette in the Southland.  once Bryan and Detti Balla round into form, i think ORU will be formidable in the Southland.

TheEagleman agrees....better things ahead for the ORU ladies in 2014.....we can get some wins in the Southland and build some confidence!..... :nerd:

In case any of you missed it, Coach Cussen took the team to the NCAA tourney last year. Something that senior class hadn't accomplished, until she took the reigns.

So, hopefully it won't come as too much of a surprise when this team continues to improve throughout the year.

And, in 3-4 years from now, we'll all look back and have a good chuckle about how some were concerned about the women's program.

Girls played great this afternoon, despite losing, that was some serious heart shown.  And yes, oruvoice is right, they did go to the dance last year (with the previous coaches players) and hopefully in the near future we will have some more banners to add to the Mabee Center

I don't necessarily want to get in the middle of this discussion because I really haven't followed the women's program closely the past couple years - but how can you argue that Misti won "with the previous coach's players" when Misti has been at ORU for eighteen years and probably had more to do with recruiting the players that she won with last year than Jerry did? It might make sense to say that if she had been an assistant at Liberty or SNU or something, and was new to ORU, but she's had an active hand at recruiting some of the best players on the women's team for GENERATIONS!

In nearly any sense you can argue, last year's stars were HER players!

It's commonly argued that new coaches that see success in their first year but struggle in subsequent seasons won "with the other guy's players," but I just don't see that argument working here.

• Upvote 1

Im not here to upset anyone, I have a vested intrest in the women's program and I want nothing but success for them.  tmh you do make a good point, I am sure Coach Cussen had a hand in recruiting a lot of those players.  I was simply saying, not only with Coach Cussen, but all around the sports world that when you see a new, incoming coache take over a program, they will typically have success with the reamining roster.  Urban Meyer at Ohio State, Bob Stoops at Oklahoma (good example, he won the National Championship with John Blakes players), Barry Switzer while he was at Dallas.  I wasn't placing blame, just bringing to light that it happens everywhere.  What could be problemsome, I would assume that Coach Cussen recruited players to compete in the Southland Conference is there a chance that she would have recruited a different caliber of player for the Summit League?  That would be a good question to have an answer to!

Let's put a stop to this right now!  As a long time (and suffering) Cowboys fan, Barry Switzer is a HORRIBLE example!

Merry Christmas all.

We all have a vested interest in ORU women's basketball. I have 24+ years and counting of being associated with ORU women's hoops.

I respect "mybabyhoops" opinions, along with everyone else's. However, I think having seen nearly a quarter century of ups and downs, that I have a little 'perspective' to offer.

No problem, Mybabyhoops, I know your intentions are positive. I was just pointing out that I don't think the same comparison can be made with Misti as was made with some of the other examples. I understand your point, but Misti really did have a hand in recruiting the players she won with last year, unlike Stoops at OU, for instance.