ORU returns to Summit League

ORUalum

When I first heard the report of returning to the Summit, I thought it was a ill-timed April Fools Day joke.  As I learned that the news was a reality, my emotions turned from shock to embarrassment.  Let's be honest, how many D1 programs leave a conference for greener pastures and return two years later?  Since I can't remember one in recent history, I would suspect that number to be pretty low. The whole "ping-pong" approach makes our school and athletic department look pretty foolish.  Did we not do our due diligence on the Southland before we made this move in the first place???

After allowing the announcement to simmer for awhile, I now have become more accepting of the move.  Although I like the Southland's geography (and weather) and the strength of the baseball programs, the departure of UTA and the addition of four start-ups that all plan to offer football certainly created the dynamic for a strained long-term relationship between the SL and ORU.  I am assuming (and have NO insider information to support this) that we saw challenges for us in the future SL - and were offered an arrangement by a Summit League in need of stability that we couldn't refuse.  I've always been told, "if an experiment is not going to work, then fail quickly... and move on", and that is exactly what ORU has done. 

I don't like the Summit travel or weather, the power of the Dakota-centric institutions (including the Sioux Falls championship venue), the overall strength of conference baseball, and (the most important) the risk of a defection or two which could leave an NCAA automatic bid in jeopardy.  But, I also have to believe that ORU must know something not yet publicly-known, as I don't believe the athletic department would knowingly return to a sinking ship (if this proves to be wrong, then my previous comments about looking foolish are a vast understatement).

One thing I DO like about the Summit is the fanbase - they care. How many Southland fans stormed onto our message board to lambast us for spurning their conference?  Umm, none?  Instead, we had Summit fans welcoming us back.  And, when I did a quick google search of "Oral Roberts Southland Summit", it seemed like all the media outlets picking up the story were in Fargo, Brookings and Omaha, not in San Antonio, Nacogdoches, or Beaumont.  Any buzz around ORU leaving the Southland was overwhelmed by the sound of crickets...

Eventually, the whole story will come out, and it will be interesting to hear how this all came down.  One thing this whole debacle has taught me - I really wish we were in the Valley!   :|

Great post as usual, JB.

Look, it remains to be seen if this is the right move for ORU.  And we'll never know what might have happened if ORU had stayed the course in the Southland.

But this much is certain:  this is a great move for the Summit League.  They get a school with a good national profile for a mid-major, that is an instant RPI boost in all revenue  sports, will attract fans on opposing courts/fields, will travel decently to the conference championships (weather permitting), and who will represent the league well in non-conference play.

In other words, when comparing the most recent additions to the Summit amd The Valley, ORU is the anti-Loyola.

The MVC will regret not adding a solid school like Belmont or ORU with a proven track record in multiple sports.

Loyola could do a lot to keep the Valley from being a 2-bid league.

I don't know about that, MVC did have a national championship runner up in Wichita St.  But, then again, Butler was back to back national runner up in consecutive years from a one bid Horizon league.  Regarldess Loyola will bring the conference RPI down and theres a good chance the Horizon League moves past the MVC in conference rpi due to losing Loyola and gaining Oakland. 

In Loyola's defense, they have won a national championship in bball before.  I know it was years ago....They are supposed to be making a committment to athletics. 

I'm surprised MVC didn't take UIC.  They have baseball and that's MVC's second sport (soccer a close third).  Have you seen the baseball stadium of UIC?  It's among the best in college baseball with the Chicago skyline in the backdrop. 

I agree, MVC should have taken ORU, Belmont or Valpo.  I think Belmont is on the outskirts of the conference georgraphically.  Valpo baseball has back to back conference championships with a win against Florida in the NCAA tournament.  ORU baseball is obvisously good every year.  Athletics are better at ORU and Valpo than they are Loyola.  I think it may have come down to amount of alumni, city location and endowment.  The huge endowment of Loyola supported all their promises of throwing money into the athletic programs, facilities, and coaching staffs. 

The addition of ORU to summit should stablize the summit conference.  Losing Valpo and Oakland hurt, but adding Denver and ORU sure helped. 

Impressive win by NDSU over Notre Dame......Lake Bison must be cracking open a lot of Old Milwaukees in the Frozen North...... :nerd:

Great post as usual, JB.

Look, it remains to be seen if this is the right move for ORU.  And we'll never know what might have happened if ORU had stayed the course in the Southland.

But this much is certain:  this is a great move for the Summit League.  They get a school with a good national profile for a mid-major, that is an instant RPI boost in all revenue  sports, will attract fans on opposing courts/fields, will travel decently to the conference championships (weather permitting), and who will represent the league well in non-conference play.

In other words, when comparing the most recent additions to the Summit amd The Valley, ORU is the anti-Loyola.

I agree with all you wrote and i think you could say the same about adding Denver. For a league that was reported on life support,i think both were excellent additions. I'm hoping with ORU back on board the Summit might have become attractive enough to interest a couple of more schools to join.

Also,while i don't like inviting D2 schools i think Omaha will prove to be a really nice addition. 

I think the MVC made the worst move in the last round of realignment, they had a great opportunity to get better and instead they got weaker. The problem that conference has is that its membership all have differing interests which makes adding new schools difficult. 

Meanwhile the Summit is looking good. Denver was a great addition, great academics and they are committed to winning. Omaha will become another solid addition. 

NDSU, USD, IUPUI and Omaha are also all undergoing major basketball facility upgrades. 

I think the MVC made the worst move in the last round of realignment, they had a great opportunity to get better and instead they got weaker. The problem that conference has is that its membership all have differing interests which makes adding new schools difficult. 

Meanwhile the Summit is looking good. Denver was a great addition, great academics and they are committed to winning. Omaha will become another solid addition. 

NDSU, USD, IUPUI and Omaha are also all undergoing major basketball facility upgrades. 

IUPUI needs some help big time, so it is good to hear that they will be getting a new arena.  Without Ron Hunter, they currently appear to be a dumpster fire (4-26 including 1-16 in conference last year and 2-7 so far this year).  It would be nice for the conference if they could regain their former glory.

I would like to hear from the posters on this board from the Dakotas, why in the world did UMKC leave the conference and do you think it would be possible, now that ORU will be joining, that UMKC would decide to return to the Summit.  Their move to the WAC on the surface made absolutely no sense.  They are currently traveling to New Mexico, Washington, Idaho, Utah, and the very southern tip of Texas.  That must be blowing their athletic budget.

Also, how is UND feeling about their membership in the Big Sky?  I know that moved appeared to be driven part by football and part by wanting to separate themselves from NDSU.  But I can't imagine for non-football sports that it makes sense for them to play teams in Arizona, California, Utah, Oregon, Idaho, Washington, and Montana.  That travel seems to me to be MUCH more expensive than joining the Summit League.  Clearly the other Dakota teams are able to play football in a different conference than the Summit League without it affecting their Summit League membership.  Would UND ever be an option for the Summit League?

IUPUI needs some help big time, so it is good to hear that they will be getting a new arena.  Without Ron Hunter, they currently appear to be a dumpster fire (4-26 including 1-16 in conference last year and 2-7 so far this year).  It would be nice for the conference if they could regain their former glory.

I would like to hear from the posters on this board from the Dakotas, why in the world did UMKC leave the conference and do you think it would be possible, now that ORU will be joining, that UMKC would decide to return to the Summit.  Their move to the WAC on the surface made absolutely no sense.  They are currently traveling to New Mexico, Washington, Idaho, Utah, and the very southern tip of Texas.  That must be blowing their athletic budget.

Also, how is UND feeling about their membership in the Big Sky?  I know that moved appeared to be driven part by football and part by wanting to separate themselves from NDSU.  But I can't imagine for non-football sports that it makes sense for them to play teams in Arizona, California, Utah, Oregon, Idaho, Washington, and Montana.  That travel seems to me to be MUCH more expensive than joining the Summit League.  Clearly the other Dakota teams are able to play football in a different conference than the Summit League without it affecting their Summit League membership.  Would UND ever be an option for the Summit League?

I have no idea why UMKC did what they did. I think they really have to be regretting their decision now that you guys are back and the league is stable. Like you said the travel in that league is going to cost them a fortune. 

As for UND, I think they are committed to the Big Sky unless somehow either the Big Sky lets them leave but still remain a member for football(which they allow a few other schools to do) or they get an invite from the MVFC which is the conference the other Dakota schools are in for football. I think their admin would leave in a second if they could get the football part of the equation figured out. The school's athletic department was over half a million in the red last year and really nobody in our region really cares about the Big Sky. Being separate from the other Dakota schools is really just making them irrelevant. 

I do think the Summit will add at least one more school. 

I have no idea why UMKC did what they did. I think they really have to be regretting their decision now that you guys are back and the league is stable. Like you said the travel in that league is going to cost them a fortune. 

As for UND, I think they are committed to the Big Sky unless somehow either the Big Sky lets them leave but still remain a member for football(which they allow a few other schools to do) or they get an invite from the MVFC which is the conference the other Dakota schools are in for football. I think their admin would leave in a second if they could get the football part of the equation figured out. The school's athletic department was over half a million in the red last year and really nobody in our region really cares about the Big Sky. Being separate from the other Dakota schools is really just making them irrelevant. 

I do think the Summit will add at least one more school. 

Doesn't UND mostly focus on hockey anyway?

Really nice win for UNO late Saturday, holding on 82-80 over Nevada in Reno.

While this 4-7 Nevada squad is nothing like their NIT team that thumped ORU in the Mabee Center a couple of seasons ago, it's still impressive for the Mavericks to come away with a road win like that.

At 8-3 vs. a decent schedule so far, UNO might just be the 2nd-best team in the Summit behind NDSU, which is surprising: Denver, SDSU and Western Illinois figured to be above them when the season started, but all have stumbled out of the blocks so far. Denver has been particularly disappointing; they were a popular preseason pick to win the Summit in their inaugural year.

It's a good sign for the league that UNO is quickly becoming competitive - should be interesting to watch the rest of the season, and particularly in the conference tournament. But are they even eligible for Sioux Falls this year?

According to this article,the estimated $160,000 in extra travel is being privately funded. Also,the WAC paid UMKC's entrance fee and their exit fee from the Summit. They have also promised to let them host the league tournament. They haven't said what year tho. All that said,i still think it was a bad move. 

http://info.umkc.edu/unews/wac-sweetens-the-pot-to-entice-the-roos-chancellor-calls-umkc-a-good-fit-for-the-new-league/

UNO is not eligible this season.  #1 seed will get a bye to semi-finals.

The UMKC president/AD explanation basically read "The Summit is too tough, and getting tougher to succeed at the funding levels we're willing to spend.  We'll move to a weaker league, and increase our chances to make NCAA tourney."   Oh, we can't beat Sioux Falls in drawing crowds to the tourney, so we're moving to a league of so little interest, that occasionally we'll get to host tourneys

Really nice win for UNO late Saturday, holding on 82-80 over Nevada in Reno.

While this 4-7 Nevada squad is nothing like their NIT team that thumped ORU in the Mabee Center a couple of seasons ago, it's still impressive for the Mavericks to come away with a road win like that.

At 8-3 vs. a decent schedule so far, UNO might just be the 2nd-best team in the Summit behind NDSU, which is surprising: Denver, SDSU and Western Illinois figured to be above them when the season started, but all have stumbled out of the blocks so far. Denver has been particularly disappointing; they were a popular preseason pick to win the Summit in their inaugural year.

It's a good sign for the league that UNO is quickly becoming competitive - should be interesting to watch the rest of the season, and particularly in the conference tournament. But are they even eligible for Sioux Falls this year?

No,they aren't eligible until the following year.

I would not call the new WAC a move up from the Summit.  Take away Idaho and NMSU and that conference tanks quickly.

I would not call the new WAC a move up from the Summit.  Take away Idaho and NMSU and that conference tanks quickly.

LOL!

Think about that factoid for a moment, sports fans:  "Take away Idaho and New Mexico State, and that conference tanks quickly".

What does it say for a league when those two schools are your standard-bearers?

It's kind of like, "Take away Willie and Jase, and the cast of 'Duck Dynasty' looks REALLY dumb!"

Well Idaho is leaving after this season to the Big Sky so all that is left will be NMSU. 

Well Idaho is leaving after this season to the Big Sky so all that is left will be NMSU.

If NMSU bolts then the WAC is in serious trouble with 7 active members for bkb since GCU is still in transition. The WAC may have a waiver that gets them through that transition. I don't know for certain. If not that makes me think the WAC made an offer to Umkc they couldn't refuse. Who knows. Considering the TSL situation in baseball the TSL probably made a great offer to ORU to come back. The TSL had a chance to bring in UND and UNC as associate members in baseball when the TSL needed it most and the TSL passed. That makes many believe that ORU is just the first of possibly a few more teams that will announce a move to the TSL. Such teams will most likely have baseball to get the league to a cushion on the 6 active member requirement for baseball. Both leagues no longer have football so active numbers in bkb and bb are very important for auto bid.

As a fan of USD I welcome you back any fully understood your move to the SLC. I respect your school, teams and fan base. I realize trips up north aren't always ideal but look forward to meeting you all when you play my Yotes in SD and any trips I make to Tulsa. Good luck this year in the Southland.

• Upvote 3