Albert Owens

orumbb_insider

2014 Trinity Christian (TX) PF Albert Owens has verbally committed to ORU!

Don't know much about this kid, but will do my research. Lets see what he can do and what he will bring!

A quick check shows that Owens is a 6-9 260 PF/C who averaged 13 pts and 10 rebs last season.....sounds raw but might be a diamond in the rough for ORU....we sure can use the size....as they say....you can't teach tall..... :nerd:

(Analyst from Rivals.com) “@ebosshoops: Oral Roberts scores a commitment from Texas big man Albert Owens. Current two-star but pushing three-star with long term potential.â€

That's a big ol' boy - sounds like a Marcus Lewis body type.

You can't coach size.  I don't care of they guy has never even played the game before - that's a good "get"!

BTW, appears he's from Cedar Hill, TX, which has been a great recruiting ground for ORU in the past (Shawn Glover, Yemi Ogunoye).  Wonder if those guys - or one of their high school/AAU coaches - were instrumental in this coup?

Owens' body type sounds EXACTLY like Marcus Lewis who turned out to be a decent center....can't hurt getting a wide body like Albert but let's hope he can run the floor a bit with our quick guards..... :nerd:

From what I know, he was an unofficial recruit who had two offers, one of which came from us. From my years around basketball two offers isn't a good look for a player especially one from Texas! My only hope is that he will be helpful and not a bust!

• Upvote 1

What exactly is an "unofficial recruit"? Do you mean he came on an unofficial visit? Because until his senior year begins that's all he can do.

There is no such thing as an unofficial recruit.

Amateurs...

TW story

Excerpt

Owens needed no introduction to Golden Eagles assistant Kyan Brown because that introduction occurred long ago, courtesy of Chad Wilkerson.

Brown and Wilkerson (a league player of the year for ORU in 1999) were once Golden Eagle teammates. Wilkerson was Owens’ head coach last season and now is on the hoops staff at Northwood University. Another former ORU player, Rocky Walls, was a Trinity Christian School assistant last season. More connections? Owens said many students from Trinity Christian choose to attend ORU.

“They love it there,†he said. “So I will be able to see people that I consider family from high school.â€

I'm told now (by those who would know but who can't publicly comment) that Owens (unlike Marcus) has "a 7-foot wingspan" and is really athletic.

Biggest freshman commit since Dominique Morrison.  Let's hope he stays healthy and gets his grades his senior season - the guy has "immediate contributor" written all over him.

What exactly is an "unofficial recruit"? Do you mean he came on an unofficial visit? Because until his senior year begins that's all he can do.

There is no such thing as an unofficial recruit.

Amateurs...

As opposed to "professional" message board posters?

In that case, I want my damn check. 8)

I'm told now (by those who would know but who can't publicly comment) that Owens (unlike Marcus) has "a 7-foot wingspan" and is really athletic.

Biggest freshman commit since Dominique Morrison.  Let's hope he stays healthy and gets his grades his senior season - the guy has "immediate contributor" written all over him.

And, at his age (17 I assume), he still has time to grow. Maybe by the time he hits campus, he's sprouted another 2-3 inches...

Dederick Lee was a more highly rated recruit than Dominique, right? I hope Dederick is able to contribute right away. I am excited about the Owens signing. The last 2 Owens at ORU (Philip and Larry) were good players and fan favorites.

Dederick Lee was a more highly rated recruit than Dominique, right? I hope Dederick is able to contribute right away. I am excited about the Owens signing. The last 2 Owens at ORU (Philip and Larry) were good players and fan favorites.

Dominique was first team All-State in Missouri, and led Raytown High School to an undefeated regular season and the Missouri 5A state championship game his senior year. 

He was generally regarded as the No. 1 prospect out of the Kansas City area when he committed to ORU.

Owens is a nice recruit - tall and wide. On top of that, he is a high school recruit so we will have him for four years. Time for him to mature and develop into a good player.

Let's sign another post player please.....

Everyone is praising his height and weight and I'm all for that! However, I just have one question? Can the kid play? How good of a player is he?

Dominique was first team All-State in Missouri, and led Raytown High School to an undefeated regular season and the Missouri 5A state championship game his senior year. 

He was generally regarded as the No. 1 prospect out of the Kansas City area when he committed to ORU.

Yeah, but wasn't Dederick offered by Arkansas?

I don't mean to argue, but a case could be made either way.

I think Marcus Denmon would dispute your claim about the best player in the KC metro for the class of 2008...All Class player of the year for the state of MO in 2008

Missouri Boys All-State Basketball Teams

All-Class Big Six

Josh McCoy, Fort Zumwalt South, 6-4, Sr.

Drew Hanlen, Webster Groves, 5-11, Sr.

Kramer Soderberg, St. Charles West, 5-11, Sr.

Johnny Coy, St. Joseph Benton, 6-7, Sr.

Bryant Allen, Maplewood-Richmond Heights, 6-0, Jr.

Marcus Denmon, Hogan Prep, 6-3, Sr.

MVP: Marcus Denmon, Hogan Prep

Second Six

Scott Suggs, Washington, 6-7, Sr.

Dominique Morrison, Raytown, 6-6, Sr.

Femi John, McCluer North, 6-4, Sr.

Steve Moore, Truman, 6-9, Sr.

Ryan Willen, Cape Notre Dame, 6-8, Sr.

Jay Lee, Glasgow, 5-11, Jr.

Everyone is praising his height and weight and I'm all for that! However, I just have one question? Can the kid play?

Well...you started the thread and said you were going to do your research.

So, you tell us.