Alex Gonzalez to Class A Advanced Myrtle Beach

Bogus Smith

And don't be dismayed by the 0-4 record with Spokane, as I don't believe they ever let him go a full five innings necessary have the opportunity to earn a win as a starter.

Myrtle Beach, SC?....geez.....life is tough....great place to spend the summer for a young man..... :nerd:

• 2 weeks later...

here's a few updates on Cheech from a guy that covers the Rangers farm system (@TepidP):

• Chi Chi was good again for the Pelicans. In his last two starts in high-A: 8ip 3h 1er 5bb 6k
  • Spent a lot of time chatting with scouts over the last few days & there might not be a Rangers farmhand with more buzz than Chi Chi.
  • Chi Chi has been 92-95 touching 96 with big cut, and a hard, big movin' 87-90 SL. "I wouldn't be shocked if he started next year in Frisco."
  • Folks seem a bit surprised by a little more velo without losing much command or movement.

Chi Chi ???..... :|

• 8 months later...

2014 Season:   If you haven't checked out the website for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans, where Alex Gonzalez is pitching this year, you should!   After a slow start with  2 losses in his first 4 starts, he has had 5 straight solid performances ... each netting him a "W" (His record is 5-2, now).   His outings have been going longer ... 7 and 8 innings, and his ERA has been declining steadily, and is now 2.28.   His last game on Monday was a 1-hitter.  He seems to have found his stride in this "high-A" league, and might bet a bump up to a AA team before the season is out. 

Check his numbers out at  the Myrtle Beach Pelicans website... 

• 3 weeks later...

Gonzalez Up to AA with FRISCO (Texas League) ... Had his first outing yesterday, and threw 5 scoreless innings and got the win. 

If he stays with Frisco, they have only one trip to Tulsa left on their schedule ...August 15-17.   It would be nice to see him pitch in Tulsa!

Congrats to Alex!....looks like this ORU kid is on his way to the majors....just wondering....who is the last ORU hurler to pitch in a major league game???... :!:

• 3 weeks later...

I just happened to see this thread on Alex, but to answer your question Eagleman, Dallas Beeler got the start TODAY for the Cubs in 3-0 loss to the Nationals. He apparently was impressive, striking out 6 in six innings of work. Unfortunately, the Cubs have no bats.

And he even got a hit off of Washington starter Gio Gonzalez!

Not sure what it means for his future with the Cubs but that was pretty cool to see. Not sure who was the last guy from ORU before today to pitch in the MLB.

I just happened to see this thread on Alex, but to answer your question Eagleman, Dallas Beeler got the start TODAY for the Cubs in 3-0 loss to the Nationals. He apparently was impressive, striking out 6 in six innings of work. Unfortunately, the Cubs have no bats.

And he even got a hit off of Washington starter Gio Gonzalez!

Not sure what it means for his future with the Cubs but that was pretty cool to see. Not sure who was the last guy from ORU before today to pitch in the MLB.

We watched most of the game with Beeler pitching.  He played ball with my boys at about age 10.  fun!

He pitched well and only gave up one run on a wild pitch.  The announcer had just said, as he came up to bat, that the way his day was going he would probably get a hit.  He hit the first pitch for a base hit.

He was only called up to pitch that one game and is now back down in AAA.  Hopefully he will be back up soon.

Great to see Beeler do well in his first outing. I always get so excited when I see an ORU guy on the big stage like that.

Also, I am not certain, but I am guessing that the last ORU pitcher to get some action in the majors was Jeremy Hefner a couple of years ago. He also had a home run in his first major league game (I don't think it was his first at-bat).

According to the Baseball Almanac site, Beeler is the 19th ORU player to make it to the bigs.  Ten former "Titans" made their MLB debuts in the 80's during ORU baseball's golden era.  Since then, four in the 90's, three from 2000-2009, and Hefner and Beeler in 2010+.

• Upvote 1

Great info, True Blue....excellent work!...... :clap:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chi Chi picked up another win tonight.  five hitless innings with 2 unearned runs against tulsa and his fastball topped out at 97 mph. he is now 6-3 with a 2.11 ERA for the AA Frisco Roughriders.

CHI CHI ALERT! In his 5 hitless innings tonight, Gonzalez induced 11 ground outs. FB sat 92-95 T 97. Big league stuff tonight.

— Tepid Participation (@TepidP)

August 11, 2014

Wow....he's really dealing in AA ball...sounds like Gonzalez will be in AAA next year and maybe even in the majors by Mid-2015 depending on his progress and the Rangers' rotation situation....TheEagleman is glad to hear that the ex-ORU star is having so much early success!..... :clap:

The Mrs. and I went to ONEOK Field tonight to see Cheech pitch against the Tulsa Drillers.  He was impressive!  He pitched seven innings (I think the longest he's gone as a pro).  He looked good.  Got out of two jams where runners were at third base and they didn't score (sounds like he saw a lot of how that happened at ORU).  Cheech was consistently at 92-94 mph and touched 96 mph in the fifth inning on a muggy night.  He may have gotten higher, as I didn't watch the speed that closely.

Looking forward to seeing him at the big league level in September or next season (my unscientific opinion, of course).if he keeps pitching like this.

• Upvote 1