The State of ORU & New President

vcboy2000

For those a lil more connected to the university, how are things going so far with the school and the new President? I'm interested to hear your observations.

I've been told by a couple of people in Athletics that he's saying all the right things about being committed to ORU remaining competitive in D-1, but it's too soon to tell if his walk equals the talk.

Better seasons this year in men's basketball and baseball sure wouldn't hurt things in the PR realm, both in the seats and on "The Hill".

Thanks for the reply, OT. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother-in-law now works for ORU and so far he's been all positive about Dr. Wilson.  Like others, he had kind of a "wait-and-see" attitude, and he's been very pleased with what he's seen and heard so far. 

good to hear tmh. 

i hope one of his priorities will be growing the school's endowment. 

i'm also curious to see how his "Globalization" vision plays out. i can't imagine ORU has the resources for satellite campuses overseas.

Although I do not claim to know what all "globalization" means, I can tell you that Liberty University is making a killing on its internet/web courses.  If you look at enrollment for on-campus at Liberty, it is one thing.  But, if you factor in its "on-line" students the numbers go through the ceiling.  This has a two-fold benefit, the same being that more "students" get access to Liberty and their income stream goes through the roof.

I like the idea of getting more students into ORU through "on-line" courses as I think this is the wave of the future.  I think that it will increase revenue for the University in a dramatic way in the future.  However, I also think that it will provide a quality education for students around the world who could otherwise not be able to attend ORU.

The increased revenue can have an indirect impact on funding ORU athletics.  But I also agree that I would like to see the University's endowment increased as well. 

All in all, having just dropped-off one of my children to start his matriculation through ORU I must say that there appears to be a renewed spirit on the campus.  I was really impressed with not only the look of the University but also the feel.  I believe that great things are on the horizon for the University.

I have been amazed at how resistant the ORU faculty has, and continues to be towards on line classes/degrees. It is a bit ironic that a school that prided itself in embracing technology (remember DAIRS?) has become so blind to the wave of on line learning. The faculty I spoke to say it is impossible to maintain quality and ensure the ORU experience over the Internet. (And one of the persons i spoke with was in charge of distance learning; although in fairness he also wears several other hats.) I think they are stuck in the past. If the enrollment figures at Liberty are correct (10,000 on campus and 90,000 on line students), it is not unreasonable to project that they are clearing over $180 million a year (maybe more) from on-line students (90,000 x $2,000 per student) given the relatively low cost in providing distance learning.

Liberty's buyers spend a SUBSTANIAL amount of money every month to promote their online programs. It feels like ORU is taking baby steps towards modernizing its business practices but it's still happening too slow and from personal experience, they're not quick to embrace best-of-breed practices, even when the choice seems obvious.

To that end, I think the globalization deal is a smart move for the university, as the global image of ORU is probably more positive than the domestic image. 

Still lots of positive things happening at the university. U.S. News named ORU the #14 most popular university nationally. (LU didn't rank; BYU is #1) LINK

i think they are right to move slowly with ramping up online education.  i knew a lot of people in the service that were going to school online (surprisingly Liberty was a big player in this market), because it was essentially free while on active duty.  overall i was not impressed with the rigor most universities required.  many did not even require proctored exams.  does anyone take University of Phoenix seriously?  this may be the concern of the faculty.

here is what was on the alumni facebook page, which leads me to think they are discussing satellite campuses (ala BYU):

Our next alumni and friends city event is almost here, and we've got plenty to tell you! The campus is abuzz with excitement over the arrival of our new president, Dr. Billy Wilson, and the numerous updates and improvements that are underway. You do not want to miss this opportunity to hear firsthand from Ossie Mills about our president's plans for "globalizing" ORU. Ossie is looking forward to sharing with you where we are on the journey to establish an indelible ORU footprint on every inhabited continent!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of surprised that you don't hear more college faculty and others concerned about the proliferation of online education. It devalues the already plummeting reputation of college degrees in exchange for profits. Although, I'm not sure how much distinguishing value is left in a degree other than being a prerequisite in applying for most jobs.

A degree extends real value when it teaches a skill (accounting, engineering, nursing, etc). Otherwise you are just getting credentialed. In this economic environment students need to look ahead and develop skills that enable them to get a job post graduation.

• Upvote 2

here is some clarification on ORU globalization -- increased foreign student recruitment, distance learning, partnerships, and by 2025 extension campuses