Doug Bernier Back in the Major Leagues

ORUJason

Doug Bernier was called up by the Minnesota Twins to the major league club during the all-star break.  The Twins demoted 3 players to the minor leagues prior to the all-star break, and have holes at several positions (including the possibility that they may trade Justin Morneau for prospects, so there is definitely an opportunity for a utility player like Doug with the Twins.

I remember in 2008 when he was called up to the Rockies, but had no idea he only played in 2 games, going 0-4.  He was a standout player for the Tulsa Drillers for several years, and at the age of 33, this could be his last big opportunity.  I hope he makes the most of it!

http://www.ksby.com/news/santa-maria-native-doug-bernier-headed-back-to-big-leagues-with-twins/#_ 

The call-ups of catcher-outfielder Chris Herrmann and 33-year-old utility infielder Doug Bernier were announced Sunday. Bernier, who had four at-bats with the 2008 Colorado Rockies, had to be added to the 40-man roster.

Bernier, who played exclusively shortstop for the Red Wings, was hitting .295 with 23 extra-base hits in 302 at-bats for Rochester. He bats right-handed.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_23659861/minnesota-twins-shake-up-roster-three-demotions?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com

Oops!  I guess I accidentally posted this twice.  I'm not sure how to delete an accidental post.

Here are some kind words from a teammate of Doug Bernier's at AAA Rochester Red Wings, from Chris Colabello, who was also called up to the Twins around the same time as Doug Bernier.

It was a bit of a weird time as he waited to see who would get the open roster spot. But when he first learned Bernier, a friend, was one of the guys headed to the big leagues, there was no hiding his emotion.

It was brought up to Colabello that he was sharing this time in the majors with Bernier, a friend of his.

"I just got chills when you said that to me," Colabello said. "I think when I found out Doug was coming up, I was probably just as excited if not more excited than when I found out I was coming up the first time. He's everything. He's a great teammate and a baseball player. He's a guy I want in my foxhole. Being able to share it with him is something I'll never forget."

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_23693281/minnesota-twins-recall-chris-colabello?source=pkg

Doug made it into today's Twins game in the 8th inning replacing the 3rd baseman Trevor Plouffe who had struck out 6 times in a row over the last 2 games. Doug managed to draw a walk in his only at-bat.

Doug has gone 5-for-8 over the first five games since joining the Twins, hitting at a .625 pace.  He has always had a great glove, and they seem to be using him in late game defensive replacements; however, I'm hopeful that he can continue to show a hot bat (.300 or better) to gain more playing time.  Good start so far for Doug to hopefully stick with the team through September.

As anemic as the Twins have been at the plate, you would think they would Doug a chance given his hot start. Sometimes I don't get how baseball managers/general managers think. More intuitive than analytical.

i think you may have been looking at AAA numbers Bogus or for a different player.

ESPN stats shows him with one at bat (BB) so far....still seeking his first MLB hit.

however, he is starting tonight and is hitting in the two hole versus the Angels.

The Minnesota Twins manager is Ron Gardenhire, he is originally from Okmulgee and normally makes it back to Oklahoma during the offseason.  Last year he also gave Mike Hollimon (a former ORU shortstop) an opportunity in spring training to win the shortstop position.  While it didn't work out for Mike, I would expect that Gardenhire is aware of the quality of the players that have historically come out of the ORU program.

i think you may have been looking at AAA numbers Bogus or for a different player.

ESPN stats shows him with one at bat (BB) so far....still seeking his first MLB hit.

however, he is starting tonight and is hitting in the two hole versus the Angels.

You're right, Alum....he only has one at-bat (a walk) and one tonight (fly out to CF).  The Minnesota Twins website I was looking at (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=448674#gameType='R'&sectionType=career&statType=1&season=2013&level='ALL') showed Doug with not only 8 at-bats, but also time with the Rockies over several years along with his duty in the minors those years.  I think he only played a short stint with the Rockies which is shown now.

Sorry for the misinformation, but hopefully Doug makes the most of his game today.

Third at bat, with a Double to left field and an RBI! 

That will help keep you in the lineup!  Go Doug!!

Thanks for posting the video. Good for Doug - let's hope he gets to stay up there and show the Twins what he is capable of. Nice that the players took the ball out of play for him to keep as a momento.

The Twins ended up winning the game 4-3, so his RBI was the game winner. Way to go!

Doug started at 2B and got a hit and stolen base off Jared Weaver who 2 hit the Twins.  if he can can hit in the .250s or .260s and flash good leather, he should be able to stick around as a utility infielder.

• 2 weeks later...

Doug has played in 3 straight games including starting the last two. He has been brought in as a pinch runner, has stolen 2 bases, has 3 RBI, has been caught in a run down between 1st and 2nd, and scored one time by drawing a walk, being sacrificed to 2nd base, advancing on a wild pitch and then being driven in by a base hit. He also has had a few defensive gems, has been brought in toward the end of games as a defensive replacement, and is currently batting .261.

The Twins are also 4-2 in games in which he has had more than one at bat.

Ron Gardenhire likes to have reliable defensive infielders even at the expense of hitting, to a degree, and I think he has a decent chance to stick with the Twins.