Southland Tournament

theeagleman5

thanks to all the seniors.  just way too many injuries this year and it's a better league.

i hope ORU will return to the California JUCOs.  that's what sustained the program for so long and i think they only had 2 this year.  they also need to get a catcher so Trevino can play third or at least platoon.  i'm convinced catching everyday hurt his offensive numbers.

And with Bowen, Gonzalez, Zufall, Alec Smith, Nate Goro, and Kevin Cho graduating/being drafted, there will be a lot of talent to be replaced, especially pitching.  After Bowen and Gonzalez, most of the rest of the staff was pretty shaky.  Definitely a big challenge for Ryan Folmar and his staff.  I hope they are up to the task.

Tough, tough season for this team and our baseball heritage.  It started with losing Audie Afenir as the starting catcher in the first series and went downhill from there.  I agree with Alum that Trevino needs to be at 3rd rather than catching....it is too tough on his offensive production to be behind the plate.  He is a good backup, but doesn't possess the skills of blocking and catching average pitchers to be an everyday catcher (IMHO).  Regardless of that comment, if I had a team of Jose Trevinos (even half a team), I think any of us could coach the team to a championship!!  Jose is the epitome of a baseball player (as is Cheech).

It will be really strange to not have ORU baseball in June.  It has been 1997 that we haven't watched a Baseball Tournament selection show with interest.  It has been since 1988 since we have not been to a regional through the conference post-season tournament route and it has been since 1984 (almost 30 years) that we didn't win a post-season conference tournament.

Going forward from here will be a chore.  We're losing the guts of our starting pitching with Cheech, Bowen, Zufall, Giller, and Smith as well as Goro, Cho and Williams in the field.  We may know as early as when school starts in August how bright or dismal our baseball future is.  If we don't have Cheech/Trevino type recruits coming in with this recruiting class, we are destined to a lower-divisional standing in the Southland with only hopes of being a post-season tournament champion to make it back to "the Dance".  Our 15-season streak is broken and we're now just another low-major baseball program attempting to find its magic.  With the loss of Trevino and Boss next season, we lose most of what offensive pop we had this season.  I believe that we're officially in rebuilding mode right about............NOW!

This link reminds me of what we need to remember from this season and not repeat it:

• Upvote 1

How the world of collegiate baseball has changed.

After years of ORU playing in the NCAA tournament in places like...

Norman

Stillwater

Fort Worth

Austin

Waco

College Station

Houston

Fayetteville

Wichita

... the landscape has changed.

No ORU in the tourney this year - and even more shocking - no regionals to be hosted in the states of Texas, Oklahoma or Arkansas.  And, if you're going to look for any regional west of Manhattan, Kansas - you'll have to go all the way to Los Angeles, as the state of Arizona was shut out as well this year.  The power shift to the southeast continues - as NINE of the 16 regionals will be hosted by ACC (5) or SEC (4) schools.  Crazy...

Central Arkansas ended up winning the Southland Tournament by the way...4-0 over SE Louisiana in the finals....so they secured the automatic bid and got a 4 seed....they will open vs. #1 seed Mississippi State at Starkville.......SHSU also got an at large spot and a 3 seed....they will play in the LSU/Baton Rouge regional vs. LA-Lafayette in round one..... :nerd:

Central Arkansas ended up winning the Southland Tournament by the way...4-0 over SE Louisiana in the finals....so they secured the automatic bid and got a 4 seed....they will open vs. #1 seed Mississippi State at Starkville.......SHSU also got an at large spot and a 3 seed....they will play in the LSU/Baton Rouge regional vs. LA-Lafayette in round one..... :nerd:

I think that UCA got a great regional - deemed the toughest by the talking heads on ESPNU.  Based on ORU's experience in Starksville, MSU is beatable in Starksville, but UCA will see MSU's #1 pitcher (unlike ORU).  SHSU will not make it out of Baton Rouge.....LSU will come out of that regional and host the Super Regional (IMHO).

The seedings and placements were really strange this year.  It's also hard to see teams like SDSU and Valpo get in when we have had success with those teams in the past.  We may have been hard pressed to win weekend series with those teams this year.

Lose to Valpo and SDSU....theEagleman doesn't even wanna think about it..... :puke:

Lose to Valpo and SDSU....theEagleman doesn't even wanna think about it..... :puke:

:-D  :-D  :-D

Think again, Dude..... |(.....Go Ducks!!!.... :clap:

Come on. I plan on cheering for ORU.....oh wait......

I have to admit, that IS kinda funny. 

Funny?...... |-)  |-)  |-) .....oh by the way....SDSU goes home less than 24 hours after they started with losses to Oregon and San Francisco......however, both were one run defeats....so at least the Jacks didn't embarrass themselves....yeah, at least they were in the tournament...... :|

I don't know, I think being eliminated by San Francisco is pretty funny and embarrassing.

Central Arkansas is on the verge of beating Mississippi tonight.....they have a shot at winning their regional.....SHSU was eliminated earlier today by LA-Lafayette..... :nerd:

UCA did beat Mississippi State last night to force a rubber game tonight....but the Southland champs are going down and trailing 6-0 in the 8th inning at Starkville..... :nerd: