2013-2014 Schedule

Old Titan

They must have taken it down - it was up yesterday. I assume someone jumped the gun.

Probably forgot to add the big home opener with Claremore JC...... :razz:

I talked to some one who caught a glimpse of the schedule during the few seconds it was up, and the differences from the one we had already pieced together included:

• Exhibition game with always-interesting Rogers State

• Home game with (what I'm told is) Longwood University, which is a D-1 school from Virginia in the Big South Conference.  (Longwood......Oral Roberts.....must resist.....temptation to.....make the obvious.....off-color comment.)  This one's confusing:  if it was NAIA "Lyndonwood" from Missouri, I could see it as an exhibition game, but otherwise, not sure how a D-1 school fits in as an exhibition game, but I guess we'll see.

• Home game with NCAA D-II Cameron, who in their last visit to Mabee Center about 10 years ago, won going away in one of the more embarrassing home losses in Golden Eagles history.

• We are, as surmised, giving Akron a return game as a final nod to the old BracketBusters event.

• Home game with Dallas Baptist, who is NCAA D-II in basketball.  Man, games with Dallas Baptist, Houston Baptist, Baylor, Abilene Christian, and Incarnate Word:  we have a chance to be the unofficial Texas Bible League champs!  "Dunk Those Baptists!"

So here's the latest greatest version, guaranteed to remain posted at least one hour longer than the phantom slate on the ORU website Friday, but also guaranteed to be wrong in a place or two:

TBA          ROGERS STATE (exhibition)

TBA          TBD (exhibition - Longwood?)

TBA          LONGWOOD (exhibition?  non-con game?)

Nov. 10    @ Tulsa

Nov. 13    @ Kansas State

TBA          TEXAS STATE

Nov. 21    @ Saint Louis (Cancun Challenge Game #1)

Nov. 23    @ Wisconsin (Cancun Challenge Game #2)

Nov. 26    vs. Georgia Southern (Cancun Challenge Game #3, in Cancun)

Nov. 27    vs. Bowling Green or Presbyterian (Cancun Challenge Game #4, in Cancun)

Dec. 3      CAMERON

TBA         MISSOURI STATE

TBA          @ Wichita State

TBA          @ Akron

Dec. 21    DALLAS BAPTIST

Dec. 30    @ Baylor           

Jan. 2       HOUSTON BAPTIST
Jan. 4       TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI
Jan. 11     @ Central Arkansas
Jan. 16     @ Abilene Christian
Jan. 18     @ Incarnate Word
Jan. 23     STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
Jan. 25     NORTHWESTERN STATE
Jan. 30     @ Nicholls State
Feb. 1       @ McNeese State
Feb. 6       NEW ORLEANS
Feb. 8       SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
Feb. 13     @ Houston Baptist
Feb. 15     @ Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Feb. 22     CENTRAL ARKANSAS
Feb. 27     LAMAR
Mar. 1       SAM HOUSTON STATE
Mar. 6       @ Stephen F. Austin
Mar. 8       @ Northwestern State
Mar. 12â€15     2014 Southland Tournament - Katy, TX

• Upvote 1

Home games with D-2 schools Cameron and Dallas Baptist???........this is what it's come to?......we can't at least get a D-1 school like Prairie View or Jackson State to come to Mabee Center?........it's getting embarrassing, my friends...TheEagleman is an alum and honestly, I don't think that I would buy a season ticket package to see that if I lived in Oklahoma...... :puke:

Home games with D-2 schools Cameron and Dallas Baptist???........this is what it's come to?......we can't at least get a D-1 school like Prairie View or Jackson State to come to Mabee Center?........it's getting embarrassing, my friends...TheEagleman is an alum and honestly, I don't think that I would buy a season ticket package to see that if I lived in Oklahoma...... :puke:

Complain all you want from 1500 miles away, but as a season ticket buyer AND a fan, I have been begging for YEARS for this coaching staff to add a cupcake home game or two in the non-conference schedule, to pad the early-season record for marketing sake AND to give the bench some playing time headed into conference action. 

I am THRILLED we are playing Cameron and Dallas Baptist at home before January 1st.  I just wish we had money to burn like Arkansas or Oklahoma State, and could schedule a half-dozen home games every year with the Prairie Views and Chicago States of the world.

The D-2 games may be an easy win and all but would not help us come post season play. Same thing happened to SFA last yr! They could have easily got an at large bid if not for the D-2 games they played. Now, if we so make the tourny, then these games could affect our seeding.

The D-2 games may be an easy win and all but would not help us come post season play. Same thing happened to SFA last yr! They could have easily got an at large bid if not for the D-2 games they played. Now, if we so make the tourny, then these games could affect our seeding.

I've always wondered where and when it became set in stone that getting your heads pounded in by a significantly better team in some way made you better later on.  I've heard it said at every level, from peewee leagues with my boys up to arguments about ORU's schedule, and I've never ONCE seen anything even close to proof of the concept's validity.  Keep in mind that some of the best teams in the country play NOTHING but cupcakes till the first game of conference season, and they seem to do just fine.   There are SO MANY FACTORS that contribute to the quality of a team, and playing a lesser team or two early likely makes a miniscule difference, if at all.  For all the concern about the physical benefits of superior teams, whose to say that they're not offset - or worse - by the mental effects of losing.

Let 'em play a couple easy games.  D-2 games don't hurt RPI, fans (might ;-)) get to enjoy a blowout, bench players get a little PT, and everyone is happy. 

Good points on both sides of this discussion. It really depends on the team. The highly experienced, senior-laden team with a legit chance to pull an upset may greatly benefit by playing some tough opponents. As Scott has pointed out in the past, it exposes your weaknesses and helps focus the coaching staff on specific developmental areas. That type of team may pull an upset and may have some close losses, both of which could help your tournament selection and seeding.

A young team lacking in experience and confidence may or may not respond well when they get punched in the mouth against a string of tough opponents. I believe this year's young team may greatly benefit from a few D-2 opponents if they can get the wins and grow in confidence while also learning more about the strengths and weaknesses of their teammates in a positive win vs. a string of deflating defeats.

While it mean more home games, it also means less $ from guarantee games, but you need a balance of both.

It's true that many of the best teams play cupcake games. But at least those games are from D-1 teams!!! I mean seriously are we really going to be satisfied that we are playing and beating D-2 teams?? Come on!

It's true that many of the best teams play cupcake games. But at least those games are from D-1 teams!!! I mean seriously are we really going to be satisfied that we are playing and beating D-2 teams?? Come on!

As one or two games out of a 30+ game schedule?  Yes...

As one or two games out of a 30+ game schedule?  Yes...

LOL - I was literally just typing the same thing!!

Great. Minds. Think. Alike.

(Actually, I use TrueBlue82 as my fact-checker:  if he's thinking what I'm thinking on a given topic, then I feel pretty good about that take.)

As I understand it, games against D-2 schools are not counted or considered by the NCAA tournament selection committee.

And good luck trying to get a D-1 cupcake to the Mabee Center. They are too busy drawing six-figure pay checks from the power conference schools.

There are plenty of D-1 cupcake games we could get to the mabee center. But seriously, D-2 games??? I can promise you if u asked any of the guys on the team they would tell you that it is a complete joke and disrespectful!

There are plenty of D-1 cupcake games we could get to the mabee center. But seriously, D-2 games??? I can promise you if u asked any of the guys on the team they would tell you that it is a complete joke and disrespectful!

Even the worst (especially the worst?) D-1 teams command anywhere from $75,000 to $100,000 for a "guarantee" game.

Why do you think so many SWAC and Summit and Southland teams spend all of November and December on the road playing BCS-conference teams? 

Because they like the hotels in Manhattan, KS? 

Because there's such great culture in Fayetteville, AR? 

Because the girls are so good-looking in Bloomington, IN?

NO!!!

"THEY DO IT FOR THE MONEY!!" 

"WE DO IT FOR THE MONEY!!!" 

"WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY D-1 HOME GAMES AT $100K A POP!!!"

For the love of Pete....dang rookies...I gotta catch my breath... :sweat:

ORU Media Relations tweeting that schedule will be released later today "because game times have been approved"

Honestly, if "game times" have been the hold up on releasing the schedule, then I just don't get it:  games times are virtually inconsequential in August, and are subject to change right up until days before any given game is played, due to TV considerations, conflicts with other events (such as the Big XII football championship in recent years), weather on game day, etc.  If you want proof, I would be willing to bet that not a single media outlet that picks up the press release on ORU's new schedule will mention a thing about game times, except MAYBE that the TU game is apparently at some squirrelly time in the late afternoon on a Sunday (which is a factoid for TU to release, anyway, since they are the home team).

DATES on which the games are played are what's important - tell me the DATES, and WHERE the game is being played.