2013-2014 Schedule

Old Titan

TU released their schedule yesterday. We play them at their place, the first game of the year, Sunday, November 10th with a 5pm tip-off time.

it's never too early to start negotiations on another horrible contract with TU.  i'm sure Mr. Carter is pounding out the details of another 6 yr gem...let's play all the Mabee Center games on Christmas morning!!!

after last year's collapse, i'm so over this game.

Hey TU...... :*  :*  :*

I would disagree that the old Mid-Con was very different in competitive level vs. the current Southland in men's basketball.

The Southland is comparable to the Mid-Con/Summit League in men's basketball IMHO. There were 3 good teams last year at the top (SHSU, NW St., and ORU) including 2 rated in the Top 100 of RPI. There were also a couple decent teams in the middle and some cellar dwellers. This is very similar to the years when ORU, Oakland and IUPUI were at the top or before that when ORU, Valpo, and Oakland were usually at the top, with IUPUI or UMKC or SUU right behind.

I respect your opinion.  But clearly, the Mid-con that was won by ORU in previous years was better than current Southland.  The numbers support by opinion as well.  In those years, the Mid/Con conference as a whole was ranked better than the Southland.  Not by very much, and that's another reason why Valpo left, and eventually Oakland followed.  The two schools wanted to join a 2-bid league as well.  (Even though its been a couple years since the HL sent two teams, like it regularly did in the past).  But more Mid-Con teams were rpi ranked in the top 100 than in the current southland.  Again, the Mid-Con has never been ranked behind the southland. 

Moving forward, the Southland will be every bit as good as the Mid-Con/Summit. Other than the Dakotas, they don't have much left. In the past, you are right.

As far as the TU game, I'm over it. Let's line up and go play. Being the first game of the year, isn't THAT big of a deal...to me, anyway. But, we all have our own opinions.

All I know is that in about 3 months, the season starts and that makes me a happy boy!

Moving forward, the Southland will be every bit as good as the Mid-Con/Summit. Other than the Dakotas, they don't have much left. In the past, you are right.

As far as the TU game, I'm over it. Let's line up and go play. Being the first game of the year, isn't THAT big of a deal...to me, anyway. But, we all have our own opinions.

All I know is that in about 3 months, the season starts and that makes me a happy boy!

agreed.  poor summit.  what are they going to do? 

agreed.  poor summit.  what are they going to do? 

They'll be ok. But there best days are in the rear view.

Over the past few years, they've lost Valpo, Oakland, & ORU. Their 3 flagship programs for the flagship sport of men's basketball. They have NDSU & SDSU and that's about it.

TheEagleman agrees that if we look ahead five years.....The Southland will be better than the Summit....without a doubt.... :nerd:

Here it is: our bizarre Southland Conference schedule for 2013-14:

Jan. 2       Houston Baptist
Jan. 4       Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Jan. 11     @ Central Arkansas
Jan. 16     @ Abilene Christian
Jan. 18     @ Incarnate Word
Jan. 23     Stephen F. Austin
Jan. 25     Northwestern State
Jan. 30     @ Nicholls State
Feb. 1       @ McNeese State
Feb. 6       New Orleans
Feb. 8       Southeastern Louisiana
Feb. 13     @ Houston Baptist
Feb. 15     @ Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Feb. 22     Central Arkansas
Feb. 27     Lamar
Mar. 1       Sam Houston State
Mar. 6       @ Stephen F. Austin
Mar. 8       @ Northwestern State
Mar. 12â€15     2014 Southland Tournament - Katy, TX

Couple of things: if by chance we are somehow in the hunt for a 1-or-2-seed tournament bye in Katy, those last two weeks of the season loom large: hosting preseason title darkhorse Sam Houston State, then closing the regular season at always-tough SFA and NWS.

The good thing about the new unbalanced league schedule (where everyone does not play everyone twice) is that we avoid traveling to Lamar and Sam Houston State, which is going to be a tough 2-game swing for the other contenders. We also do not go to New Orleans or Southestern Louisiana. That's four potentially upper-division teams that we don't have to play on their home floors.

One bad thing about this schedule, though, is we play AT new additions Incarnate Word and Abilene Christian, with no return games. On paper those should be W's, but they are in fact a couple of potential landmines, 'cause you just don't know what to expect in terms of facility, crowd, officiating, etc.

All things considered, I see us going something like 11-7 or 12-6 in conference play with this schedule (assuming the UIW and ACU games count in the league standings, which they may not).  Might be enough to keep us around .500 overall for the year.

With the new rule allowing practice to begin earlier for teams, does anyone know by chance when the actual first practice will be?

This would have been a great year to have an overseas trip or Canada trip for the team to get extra practice and playing time.

This would have been a great year to have an overseas trip or Canada trip for the team to get extra practice and playing time.

You can only do those trips once every four seasons, but it does seem like we might be due for another one.  The NCAA has also changed the rules limiting the length of the trips; they're a lot shorter now than they used to be (something like 3-4 days, tops).

July 3, 2013 - University of Tulsa announces its 2013-14 non-conference men's basketball schedule.

July 29, 2013 - University of Tulsa announces its ENTIRE 2013-14 men's basketball schedule.

July 31, 2013 - Oklahoma State University announces its 2013-14 non-conference men's basketball schedule.

August 5, 2013 - University of Oklahoma announces its 2013-14 non-conference men's basketball schedule.

*sigh* 

Ya know, you would think we might announce just about ANYTHING to bump the "Former ORU Basketball Player Steven Roundtree Gets 3-Year Deferred Sentence" story from July 19th off the top of the "ORU Sports" section of the Tulsa World website... |(

Well, we know all who we will be playing non conference away and the one at home vs MSU. Any word on who else we play at home in the non cofrence?

So far....

TBA          LONGWOOD (exhibition)

TBA          ROGERS STATE (exhibition)

Nov. 10    @ Tulsa

Nov. 13    @ Kansas State

TBA         DALLAS BAPTIST

TBA         MISSOURI STATE

Nov. 21    @ Saint Louis (Cancun Challenge Game #1)

Nov. 23    @ Wisconsin (Cancun Challenge Game #2)

Nov. 26    vs. Georgia Southern (Cancun Challenge Game #3, in Cancun)

Nov. 27    vs. Bowling Green or Presbyterian (Cancun Challenge Game #4, in Cancun)

TBA          CAMERON

TBA          @ Wichita State

TBA          TEXAS STATE

TBA          @ Akron

Dec. 30    @ Baylor           

Jan. 2       HOUSTON BAPTIST
Jan. 4       TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI
Jan. 11     @ Central Arkansas
Jan. 16     @ Abilene Christian
Jan. 18     @ Incarnate Word
Jan. 23     STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
Jan. 25     NORTHWESTERN STATE