2013-2014 Schedule

Old Titan

ORU vs. the St. Louis and Wisconsin are nice additions to our schedule....we have a shot to be competitive against the Billikens but the same is not likely vs. the Badgers....U of Wisconsin will be looking for revenge for the beating they took at the hands of ORU back in the Mabee Center opener in December 1972..... :nerd:

a return game from Texas State and new head coach Danny Kaspar???

You know, that's a great point:  I forgot all about beating those guys at their place back in December. 

No way that was a guarantee game - has to be some sort of home-and-home arrangement with the next game in Tulsa, wouldn't it?

With all the information currently in hand, we're looking at something like this (very tentative, of course):

at Tulsa

at Saint Louis (Cancun Challenge Game #1)

at Wisconsin (Cancun Challenge Game #2)

vs. Georgia Southern (Cancun Challenge Game #3, in Cancun)

vs. Bowling Green or Presbyterian (Cancun Challenge Game #4, in Cancun)

at Kansas State

at Wichita State

at Akron

vs. Missouri State

vs. Texas State

vs. Incarnate Word (non D-1) ?

vs. Abilene Christian (non D-1) ?

If ORU does end up playing those two non D-1 games with ACU and IWU, plus the two traditional exhibition games at home to start the season, then that's actually a fairly decent non-con schedule.  Still don't think we enter January with a winning record, but it's not near as bad as I feared a few weeks back.

Let's hope I'm singing a similar tune regarding our prospects once we get a chance to see the team...

ORU will still have it's hands full prior to January 1.......but yeah....we can be competitive in a lot of those games if our newcomers can score some points.....TheEagleman is thinking that the over/under in that Wisconsin game should be set at about 89....... |(

You know, that's a great point:  I forgot all about beating those guys at their place back in December. 

No way that was a guarantee game - has to be some sort of home-and-home arrangement with the next game in Tulsa, wouldn't it?

i don't know how we missed it...like you say, there is no way that was a guarantee game.

losing their coach, Bostic, and Taylor, SFA may have a bit of a down year.  i was also reading that they lost 3 of their recruits after the coaching change.  2 followed Kaspar to Texas State and another one also got his release and is going to play for Tubby at Texas Tech.

we need the annual ORUTerry post breaking down every league team's returnees and newcomers.  that should provide some good discussion during the slow summer months.

|-)  |-)  |-)  |-)  |-) 

• 3 weeks later...

"The Muppets Take Manhattan":  K-State released their non-conference slate this week, confirming our game there is Wednesday, November 13.

http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/070313aaa.html'>K-State Announces 2013-2014 Non-Conference Basketball Schedule (kstatesports.com)

Call me crazy, but this is just the sort of win we might steal WAY BACK in the ol' "Caleb and Ken" days... ;-)

OK.....you ARE crazy......but I admire the positive waves.......only 4 more months and we will have some roundball again.....TheEagleman is ready...... :eagles:

After last year's theme of Great Busted Expectations, I'm not counting on any big wins like this. It's a tough life for an #ORUMBB fan . . . 

It's a lot tougher for a Western Illinois or UMKC or Chicago State fan. Honestly we have been pretty spoiled with a very high home game win percentage.

• 3 weeks later...

It's July 25th.....So where's the schedule?....Could it be that St. Gregory's is driving a hard bargain for the financial guarantee that they want to take a beating at Mabee Center?..... |(

It's July 25th.....So where's the schedule?....Could it be that St. Gregory's is driving a hard bargain for the financial guarantee that they want to take a beating at Mabee Center?..... |(

The coaches are out recruiting till end of the week (or month; not sure).

When they get back in the office first of August, this stuff wil happen pretty quickly.

There was an earlier post in regards to winning the conference before playing big time programs.  ORU will win a Southland conference soon.  I understand Caleb Green and Tutt are no longer present, but ORU won a much tougher Mid-con league back to back.  Surely in time, they will win a championship in a much lesser conference.

As far as scheduling goes, Carter and Sutton must schedule big time programs from time to time in order to get paid.  Two games with big pay checks can take care of the b'ball program itself and have some to carry over to the other athletic programs. 

ORU needs to get one big name on campus.  Two reasons, 1.) brings in fans and support and 2.) ORU has been excellent when playing big names on the home floor.  They beat ranked New Mexico, should have beaten OU last year, and beat Wisconsin in the first game at the Mabee Center.

I would disagree that the old Mid-Con was very different in competitive level vs. the current Southland in men's basketball.

The Southland is comparable to the Mid-Con/Summit League in men's basketball IMHO. There were 3 good teams last year at the top (SHSU, NW St., and ORU) including 2 rated in the Top 100 of RPI. There were also a couple decent teams in the middle and some cellar dwellers. This is very similar to the years when ORU, Oakland and IUPUI were at the top or before that when ORU, Valpo, and Oakland were usually at the top, with IUPUI or UMKC or SUU right behind.

Southland competition appears similar in talent....but most teams are smaller and quicker than in the Summit.....ORU needs to tailor it's recruiting to getting guys who can play up tempo basketball if we expect to win in the Southland..... :nerd:

With this years non conference schedule, ORU has some big time games! Wichita St. Kansas St. and Baylor should pay well!

The competition with those three teams including Wisconsin and St. Louis should more than ready the team for the southland conference!

For sure, Insider.....come the new year we will probably be about 4-11........ :sweat: